Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am seriously interested in this program and I would like to know, how do the studies look like.
    In particular,

1) Timetable
    Do you set up your own schedule or do you already have a set of compulsory subjects that are mandatory to attend?
    Do you manage to keep up with studies as well as social life and a part-time job?
    I would like to take up a part-time job during my studies since the accommodation in UK is so expensive.

2) Teaching
    How does the teaching look like? Mostly lectures or individual seminars and discussions with student's presentations?

3) Size
    Are you guys happy with the lecture sizes? Do you feel acknowledged as individuals, or lost in the crowd?

4) Studies
    How do you like your studies so far? Is it interesting and challenging for you? Do finals drive you crazy?
    What exactly are you studying - formulation as well as marketing of cosmetic products?

Thank you so much in forward!

ReputationRep:
    Added my points from a UAL student perspective:

I am seriously interested in this program and I would like to know, how do the studies look like.
    In particular,

1) Timetable
    Do you set up your own schedule or do you already have a set of compulsory subjects that are mandatory to attend?

Compulsory and all mandatory attendance.

Do you manage to keep up with studies as well as social life and a part-time job?

Yeah it's not a difficult course, as long as you manage your time then can work p/t.

I would like to take up a part-time job during my studies since the accommodation in UK is so expensive.

2) Teaching
    How does the teaching look like? Mostly lectures or individual seminars and discussions with student's presentations?

Only a small group 20 or so, (about a third dropped out before end of term 1!), in seminar type environments. Occasionally use the lab at Westminster Uni as UAL does not have the facilities... (remember its an ARTS school and this is the only MSc course they do)

Teaching varies from dictations from lecturers reading from notes, to powerpoint presentations of varying quality. I would say its poor/average overall.

3) Size
    Are you guys happy with the lecture sizes? Do you feel acknowledged as individuals, or lost in the crowd?

As per above very small class of 20 or so, 95% female, all 18/9 year olds and very few if any overseas students. Zero mature students in my year. Some of the teachers are great others are woeful, it's a bit of a mix tbh.

4) Studies
    How do you like your studies so far? Is it interesting and challenging for you? Do finals drive you crazy?
    What exactly are you studying - formulation as well as marketing of cosmetic products?

Despite being a MSc, Not a particularly science/chemistry inspired course. If you want a mix of the business, marketing with a bit of science on the side then it would work for you, but don't expect it to be like a chemistry degree

Thank you so much in forward!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    University of the Arts London resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.