Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is meat eating an ideology? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioStudentx)
    I'm not really sure to be honest but so what if it is an ideology? Does that even matter?
    I don't understand this post. By the logic presented in your post, why does anything 'even matter'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    I don't care if it's natural or not , i like meat so i'll eat it
    mature response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    mature response
    I'm just being honest ;l

ReputationRep:
    I'm just being honest ;l
    You haven't answered the OP at all. You have not presented an argument. You're not just being honest, you're refusing to engage with the topic. I'd question why you bothered posting but I fear the answer will be as intellectually void as your responses so far.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just being honest ;l
    but the thread isn't about whether you think it's natural or not, nor is it about why you eat meat

ReputationRep:
    People's engagement with the topic of meat-eating is likely passive. They simple eat meat because they have always eaten meat and most everyone around them eat meat. For them, there is no sophisticated thought process behind it which makes it difficult to categorise it as an ideological pursuit.

Certainly there are people who take the issue of meat-eating quite seriously and pontificate for hours for why it's natural that humans should eat meat and vegans are inane. These are not the majority of meat-eaters, however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum_law)
    People's engagement with the topic of meat-eating is likely passive. They simple eat meat because they have always eaten meat and most everyone around them eat meat. For them, there is no sophisticated thought process behind it which makes it difficult to categorise as an ideological pursuit.

Certainly there are people who take the issue of meat-eating quite seriously and pontificate for hours for why it's natural that humans should eat meat and vegans are inane. These are not the majority of meat-eaters, however.
    Ideologies can be passive though. There can be a belief system people follow without being fully aware of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    I don't understand this post. By the logic presented in your post, why does anything 'even matter'?
    That's a stupid comparison. I'm asking why you care whether it's an ideology? Will it change your views?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioStudentx)
    That's a stupid comparison. I'm asking why you care whether it's an ideology? Will it change your views?
    It's not a stupid comparison, it's simply pointing out how lacking your post was.

It's articulated a view I've held that others haven't in a very fresh way. I've often talked about meat eaters having a belief system , but never characterised it as an invisible ideology.

Many people have changed their actions and behaviours since they've seen the video.

ReputationRep:
    Ideologies can be passive though. There can be a belief system people follow without being fully aware of it.
    You're not talking about a belief system, though. "Ideal" means more than a mere belief*. My belief that going to Tesco before 7pm (because it's too crowded before that time) is not an ideal. The belief is not significant; it's not ardently held; and it's not normative (i.e. I do not wish for society to hold such a view). Similar, passive beliefs "I like meat, and I want to eat meat" are not significant nor normative, and are not ardently held.

*Don't equivocate with which sense of "ideology" you're using here. There are many senses of the word, and most of them are not relevant to the discussion. As soon as you whipped out that indefinite article and made "ideology" a count noun, you excluded such senses from the discussion.

ReputationRep:
    Meat eating isn't a hobby, it's a way of life brah.

ReputationRep:
    You're not talking about a belief system, though. "Ideal" means more than a mere belief*. My belief that going to Tesco before 7pm (because it's too crowded before that time) is not an ideal. The belief is not significant; it's not ardently held; and it's not normative (i.e. I do not wish for society to hold such a view). Similar, passive beliefs "I like meat, and I want to eat meat" are not significant nor normative, and are not ardently held.

*Don't equivocate with which sense of "ideology" you're using here. There are many senses of the word, and most of them are not relevant to the discussion. As soon as you whipped out that indefinite article and made "ideology" a count noun, you excluded such senses from the discussion.
    Well technically speaking you believing Tesco will be too crowded is a belief system. However, it's not the same as that's more a question of metaphysica and existentialism, as well as inductive reasoning.

What I'm talking about here is instead to do with how we see non-human animals. There have of course been varying belief systems around animals. For example, cows hold a sacred place for many people in India.

Most people in the West see animals as intrinsically 'lower' than human in terms of what is valued in life.

I'm not talking about a passive "I want to eat meat" type of belief but instead, that certain animals are food. And that is normative (you ought to eat animal/animal products e.g. we are encouraged as children to drink our milk so that we become big and strong), and is prevalent. It is only very recently that many people have started to question such thinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie S)
    Meat eating isn't a hobby, it's a way of life brah.
    None of what you said is relevant in any way, shape or form to this thread. Please bother to read the OP and watch the video if you are going to reply again. If you are not prepared to do those things and reply on topic in a way that engages with the information you're not welcome on this thread.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    None of what you said is relevant in any way, shape or form to this thread. Please bother to read the OP and watch the video if you are going to reply again. If you are not prepared to do those things and reply on topic in a way that engages with the information you're not welcome on this thread.
    boohoo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    No.
    You haven't engaged with any of the information. Assuming you have read the OP and watched the video, why do you say (note: not argue, because you haven't yet presented an argument) 'No'?

ReputationRep:

I might add as well that one of the things that has been discussed, which on reflection I think you might be hinting towards, is the idea that it's possible to eat meat without there being a value laden ideology behind it. E.G. what we choose to eat and what we choose to treat as a pet in our society seems completely arbitrary. But it could be possible for a culture to make no discrimination beyond taste, nutrition (including all health repercussions including disease etc.) and ease in terms of what it sees as acceptable to eat. However, whilst theoretically this may be possible no-one has of yet pointed out a real example of it.

ReputationRep:
    a system of ideas and ideals, especially one which forms the basis of economic or political theory and policy.

That's the definition of an ideology. I don't think eating meat fits that definition.

ReputationRep:
    Lmao, no it's not an ideology. I love eating meat.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You haven't engaged with any of the information. Assuming you have read the OP and watched the video, why do you say (note: not argue, because you haven't yet presented an argument) 'No'?
    It's not an ideology because it's not a 'system of ideas and ideals'. If anything we're 'meant' to eat meat by virtue of definition. Take for instance your canines, whose design is to rip flesh or the fact that our bodies are optimized for mid-day hunting, i.e. our relatively hairless bodies with sweat glands. What makes more sense is considering the concept of eating meat as something natural than argue that it's an ideology.

No, I haven't seen the video considering the fact that the whole premise of the thread simply doesn't make sense.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.