Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

pushy parents watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    programme on ITV at the mo *but please don't move this thread* and some of the parents are so pushy with their kids... it's really sad

anyone out here got pushy parents/ friends with pushy parents or the complete opposite and parents who just don't give a damn?

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    It really annoys me when I see kids running rampant and their parents don't give a damn. I know it's not my place to make decisions for them but it is just sad. One day the parents are going to look back and wonder why their child is in prison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    programme on ITV at the mo *but please don't move this thread* and some of the parents are so pushy with their kids... it's really sad

anyone out here got pushy parents/ friends with pushy parents or the complete opposite and parents who just don't give a damn?

lou xxx
    Were you not watching the football?!

My parents kind of don't care much with me, but they're quite pushy with my brother about exams and school work (partly because he does nothing all day apart from run numerous websites and money making schemes from his bedroom).
    You are right- some parents are way too strict and shout at their kids, where as others just couldn't care less. I saw a documentary one time about this 12 year old kid who stole cars and stuff, and the mother was just like "boys will be boys." She just couldn't care less, it was awful.

ReputationRep:
    My parents basically let me run my life... I think it's because they trust me to make my own decisions, and I've gotten used to it now, but I remember I used to wish they would be a little more active in my life - I got to go out to clubs/to Manchester/to wherever earlier than all my mates, but I never really got close to my parents.. like they wouldn't be the people I went to if I had a problem, and I know loads of ppl wouldn't, but I'd like to think I'll be more of a 'friend' to my kids.

If that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glance)
    Were you not watching the football?!
    i'm scottish. couldn't really care less either way about england.

on the programme there was this mum whose kids were all dancing/singing/modelling/acting and the youngest was 2 and the oldest was 11 (she was a single mum with 4 kids) and she was horrible. she was talking about dancing shows and stuff her daughter did and other parents were like 'oh you were so good blah blah' and she was like 'that was dreadful, you were all wrong etc' and she said it's cos she only ever wanted her child to win because that's what was important. and if her kid didn't want to go to whatever class they were meant to be at then she would shout at them and tll them they'd never succeed. had me so annoyed

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    on the programme there was this mum whose kids were all dancing/singing/modelling/acting and the youngest was 2 and the oldest was 11 (she was a single mum with 4 kids) and she was horrible. she was talking about dancing shows and stuff her daughter did and other parents were like 'oh you were so good blah blah' and she was like 'that was dreadful, you were all wrong etc' and she said it's cos she only ever wanted her child to win because that's what was important. and if her kid didn't want to go to whatever class they were meant to be at then she would shout at them and tll them they'd never succeed. had me so annoyed

lou xxx[/QUOTE]

God yeh, I play quite a bit of tennis, and I go round to tournaments and sit around for hours waiting to play. I see kids aged like 11 coming off court exhausted, and having lost they just want to relax and be consoled. The mother, however, starts shouting at these kids saying "You served 8 double faults...it was your own fault...what was going on out there..." I see the parents actually keeping tally charts of how many double faults their son/daughter does, how many forehands missed from the baseline, how many volleys they screwed up on. These parents impose so much pressure on their kids that by the age of 16 they all give up. My parents, however, never put any of that pressure on me, and so I was able to relax during matches without thinking "Oh God, I'm gonna be told off about that horizontal smash." I'm 16 now, and I have no thoughts about giving up at all. I know many really good players though, who have played at national standard, who have just given up their tennis because they couldn't cope with the pressure anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to strike a balance, my parents would never pressure me into doing anything I didnt want to, if I failed at something theyd always be supportive etc..and not have ago.

A sore subject.

ReputationRep:
    My parents never had to push me, they just expect me to deliver. Despite the "strain" of the "pressure", I usually do.

lol poor piggy, could be worse - try having my mum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    lol poor piggy, could be worse - try having my mum.
    Been there, done that

Can people stop being so perverted? You seriously don't want my mum that way, trust me....not that i speak from experience.... :eek:

I'm going to stop talking now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    I think you need to strike a balance, my parents would never pressure me into doing anything I didnt want to, if I failed at something theyd always be supportive etc..and not have ago.
    Thats exactly like my parents really, I remember my mum having a conversation with me about my GCSEs, she told me if I failed its not the end of the world etc, however I should do my hardest to make sure I pass them.

She wasn't even that bothered when I dropped out of college in 1999, she was very supportive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Can people stop being so perverted? You seriously don't want my mum that way, trust me....not that i speak from experience.... :eek:

I'm going to stop talking now!
    My usual response to stuff like that is "you wouldn't say that if you saw her".

She's looking rather...under the weather right now, to put it lightly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    What would she look like under the pig meister?
    A pancake, or gingerbread woman even.

:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Good point. Gives a new meaning to eating her though.

Me coat is already on.
    One more and I'm calling the taxi.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.