The Student Room Group

C3 - What exactly is "Harmonic Form"?

I've been asked by a class mate what 'harmonic form' is, because they missed the class. I've explained how to use it, but they're still confused, and the more I think about it, the more I wonder too. When I'm told to use harmonic form it's usually like so:

Express 3cosx + 7sinx in the form rcos(x-a)
or

Express 2cosx + 4sin x in the form rsin(x+a)

I know how to do this, but I don't understand the purpose of the form. When I search on Google for a meaning or definition of 'harmonic form' I found a few websites that showed me how to express in the form of rsin(x-a), etc. but they didn't actually tell me what it was.

Some websites called it 'harmonic identities' but when I looked at pages on 'harmonic form' and 'harmonic identities' on websites like Wikipedia, what I saw appeared to be completely unrelated to what I've been told is 'harmonic form', or far beyond my knowledge of it. When I open text books, they talk about expressing in the form rcos(x+a), etc. but they never call it harmonic form at all.

Can someone explain what 'harmonic form' actually means in this case, and what practical application it has? Or is this just a case of an exam board giving the identities
"bcosx + csinx = rcos(x-a)"
"bcosx + csinx = rcos(x+a)"
"bcosx + csinx = rsin(x-a)"
"bcosx + csinx = rsin(x+a)"
A catch all term that isn't officially recognised?
Thanks.
I know nothing about the nomenclature but it allows you to easily solve equations of the form acosx+bsinx=k where k is some constant.

It makes it easier to see the maximum/minimum and plot a graph.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by T421
I've been asked by a class mate what 'harmonic form' is, because they missed the class. I've explained how to use it, but they're still confused, and the more I think about it, the more I wonder too. When I'm told to use harmonic form it's usually like so:

Express 3cosx + 7sinx in the form rcos(x-a)
or

Express 2cosx + 4sin x in the form rsin(x+a)

I know how to do this, but I don't understand the purpose of the form. When I search on Google for a meaning or definition of 'harmonic form' I found a few websites that showed me how to express in the form of rsin(x-a), etc. but they didn't actually tell me what it was.

Some websites called it 'harmonic identities' but when I looked at pages on 'harmonic form' and 'harmonic identities' on websites like Wikipedia, what I saw appeared to be completely unrelated to what I've been told is 'harmonic form', or far beyond my knowledge of it. When I open text books, they talk about expressing in the form rcos(x+a), etc. but they never call it harmonic form at all.

Can someone explain what 'harmonic form' actually means in this case, and what practical application it has? Or is this just a case of an exam board giving the identities
"bcosx + csinx = rcos(x-a)"
"bcosx + csinx = rcos(x+a)"
"bcosx + csinx = rsin(x-a)"
"bcosx + csinx = rsin(x+a)"
A catch all term that isn't officially recognised?
Thanks.

Harmonic form is just another name for R-form for sinusoidal functions.
Reply 3
Original post by T421

Expressing sums of sines and cosines using the harmonic form (R cos (x+a) or R sin(x-a)) has a variety of uses, it allows you to solve equations of the form a cos bx + c sin bx = k for some constant k very easily. You can find maximum and minimums of the sums easily. It's very useful in integration when the trigonometric terms are in the denominator and you can turn the entire integrand into a cosec or sec function, etc...

(as a side note, I would suggest you learn how to derive them on the spot instead of memorising which ones to use when, look at the examsolutions video).

Quick Reply

Latest