The Student Room Group

What's App reaches 1 Billion users - are you one of them?

I am!

Scroll to see replies

Yes........

Is that the whole point of this thread?
Original post by helpmekid
Yes........

Is that the whole point of this thread?

That's up to you :smile: It's a pretty amazing landmark, especially considering how many alternatives phones have, like Facebook messenger, texting and TSR PMs ( :lol:)
Reply 3
I am one in a billion
Reply 4
What scares me is now whatsapp is owned by Facebook they can basically look at all of our personal conversations in the name of target marketing.

The other day I was talking about the app headspace with a friend on whatsapp. I didn't search it on google or do anything with the information other than what was contained in the whatsapp conversation.

The next day on Facebook the headspace app advertising was all over my newsfeed and on the side bars.
Reply 6
You wont expect back 1 billion responses; I am a user
Never even looked at it. I would guess it is as useless as Facebook, Instagram and Facetime. All an utter waste of time.
Original post by maximum_entropy
Never even looked at it. I would guess it is as useless as Facebook, Instagram and Facetime. All an utter waste of time.

But TSR is exempt ? :rofl:

Also how is FaceTime useless? It's basically a video phone call? Do you think Skype is useless? Many a long distance relationship has been kept alive by Skype and FaceTime.
I am - love WhatsApp sooooo much! My older sister lives in America, so having WhatsApp to keep in contact with her is really handy :love:

Plus I love the way you can see when someone has read your message but is ignoring it/you :ninja:
Yep, only use WhatsApp socially too.

Idgaf what anyone has for tea or if they're wearing pink socks instead of red ones, **** off Facebook :hand:
Original post by Ethereal World
What scares me is now whatsapp is owned by Facebook they can basically look at all of our personal conversations in the name of target marketing.

The other day I was talking about the app headspace with a friend on whatsapp. I didn't search it on google or do anything with the information other than what was contained in the whatsapp conversation.

The next day on Facebook the headspace app advertising was all over my newsfeed and on the side bars.

Is that actually happening?

Does that kind of activity worry anyone else?

Personally, I trust Facebook quite a bit because they are so transparent with what they do.
Yes. :redface:
Original post by Danny McCoyne

That is literally me right now.
Original post by SeanFM
Yes. :redface:

The full stop got me.

Just yes.

No more. No less.
Reply 16
No. I'm not entirely sure what it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Captain Jack

Personally, I trust Facebook quite a bit because they are so transparent with what they do.

Have you seen whatsapps terms and conditions? They are pretttyyyy long.

I don't think they actually pry our conversations but they obviously scan them for key words or something.

I had never seen the headspace adverts on my Facebook feed ever before and realised it must have been from the whatsapp convo.
Have you seen whatsapps terms and conditions? They are pretttyyyy long.

I don't think they actually pry our conversations but they obviously scan them for key words or something.

I had never seen the headspace adverts on my Facebook feed ever before and realised it must have been from the whatsapp convo.

Interesting. I'll have to look out for that happening. That's quite advanced if they are doing it. It's not totally new, Hotmail and Yahoo! mail all have ads in. I've worked around online advertising for years and I've never seen a system or person smart enough to actually totally brainwash anyone. I don't worry about it myself.
Original post by Captain Jack

No, they're not looking into your conversations most likely.

Facebook and Google etc. will obviously look at certain browsing habits and place a "Google Ad" there.

It's even on TSR, I use Adblock but there's one right at the top usually advertising the last thing I was looking at.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending