Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am going on to study a computer related degree in September (hopefully computer systems), and I can't decide which laptop I should invest in I was thinking either the new MacBook or the MacBook Pro. Anyone have any suggestions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaunaskelton)
    I am going on to study a computer related degree in September (hopefully computer systems), and I can't decide which laptop I should invest in I was thinking either the new MacBook or the MacBook Pro. Anyone have any suggestions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There is an obvious answer to this, why would you get the MacBook, it has no benefits compared to the Pro, just get the Pro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaunaskelton)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mac Book has an outdated dual core processor platform, pro gets multi-cores.
    Go with Mac book pro. It much faster with i7 processor, get atleast the 5th gen i7 or newer. retina displays cost more but I think its not worth it. Generally multicores is usefull for efficiency over power. Dual core kicks in harder all the time so generally its just a burden for the battery to cope the demanding current used by the processor. multicores work well in both demanding and less demanding situations like gaming, photo-editing or using basic spread-sheet software.
    I would suggest you to try using both of these because generally they suit tasks differently.
    Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    I have a Microsoft Surface pro 4 laptop and it is so good. I was about to get a macbook before I seen this has the option of being both a full PC and a powerful usable tablet. I also have an iPhone 6 so my opinion is totally objective and non bias like an anti apple person. I just use windows and microsoft based systems in uni so it seemed ideal that I didnt have to learn the Apple ecosystem etc either. Still open to getting a Macbook at some point in future but I'm so happy with my choice. Check it out in a demo at Currys or something, you get so much more bang for your buck given a laptop is a laptop and the surface is a laptop and a bit more.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Does it have to be an apply product?

ReputationRep:
    No it doesn't have to be apple. If I'm gounf to go for the pro if I go for a macbook, but also going to look into other options. Thanks everyone!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.