Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I live with my step dad and mum (and will be doing so up until I go to uni).

I'm a little confused as to what my "household income" would entail as:

- My mum & her partner live together with me (been together for 7 years)
    - My mum recently lost her job due to funding cuts (which was minimum wage, minimal hours)
    - My mum & her partner are not married
    - My step-father has not adopted me
    - My mum is in receipt of child support from my dad
    - My step-dad was going to retire before my mum was made redundant, may still do so by the time I leave, if she can find another job and make up the deficit
    - My step-dad owns the house but my mum pays the bills

When filling out applications for student finance, what is my household income?

My mum only?
    Mum + step-dad?
    Mum + dad?
    Mum + dad + step-dad?

My parents divorced in 2005. Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Parental income
    Depending on their income, parents may have to contribute towardsthe living costs of their student children. If you’re a dependent student(refer to page 27 to see whether you’re a dependent or an independentstudent), the income of your parents will be assessed. If your parentsare separated or divorced, we’ll take the income of whichever parentyou’re financially dependent on. We’ll ignore the income of the otherparent as well as £1,130 for any child who is totally, or mainly financiallydependent on you or your partner.

A parent’s ‘partner’ means one of the following:
    • a spouse (husband or wife)
    • a civil partner
    • a person ordinarily living with the parent as his or her spouse
    • a person ordinarily living with the parent as his or her civil partner
    http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1516/ft/s...ide_1516_d.pdf

From this ^ it seems they will consider whoever it is you live with, your mother and her partner I would think!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Scitty

The household income is simply the parent and if applicable, partner living in the household. This would be your mother and step dad.

We will ask them to declare their household income to assess you.

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.