Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What access course should I do if I want to study Computer science at uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The University of Manchester accepts Access to Engineering if you're applying to Computer Science with a foundation year. So I have decided that I might do access to Engineering, and try to fulfill their entry requirements to get onto the foundation course, as The University of Manchester is my first choice.
    My dilemma though, is what if I don't get into The Uni of Manchester, even if I fulfill all of their requirements?
    They seem to be the only university that accepts/is not reluctant to accept access to engineering for entry onto a Computer Science course. I don't want to put all of my eggs in one basket so to speak, I need to know that whatever access course I do, I will be able to apply to do Computer Science at my choice universities (UofManchester, Bangor, Royal Holloway, QMUL) with it, so I obviously need some kind of plan B for if I dont get into UofM.
    I wrote to Bangor asking about the entry requirements, haven't gotten a reply from them yet. QMUL wants Access to Computing, and GCSE B grade in Maths. Royal Holloway are reluctant about Access to Engineering and want to know what modules I'll be doing, which I don't know yet as I've asked the college and they haven't gotten back to me. And as I said UofManchester want access to Engineering (all distinctions in physics and maths units) and a C in GCSE English, which I have.
    So I don't know what to do, because all of my choice universities want different things.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    From what you say, surely access to Computing is your best bet? And while you're at it, resit your GCSE maths.

ReputationRep:
    An alternative is applying to a lesser ranking university like London Met and you will get in with no qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protagoras)
    An alternative is applying to a lesser ranking university like London Met and you will get in with no qualifications.
    I honestly don't mind applying to a lesser ranked Uni, as long as their computer science course is good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    From what you say, surely access to Computing is your best bet? And while you're at it, resit your GCSE maths.
    I got stuck on the idea of doing access to engineering because I wanted to get into UofM, and thought it might prepare me better to do a computer science course, but I'll look more into access to computing. Do you think access to computing would prepare me for a computer science degree course?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.