The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi. I wanted to know if I'd be eligible for a reduced rate maintenance loan for Postgraduate Diploma in Midwifery. I've previously done a BSc undergraduate course. I know that I can get the NHS bursary for this course and have heard that SFE will give reduced rate maintenance loan for people with a previous degree and going onto study BSc in Midwifery as it leads to professional registration. I've heard mixed reviews about the PGDip entitlement but this also leads to professional registration so not sure why it would be different? Thanks
Hello,

I`ve been living in UK for three years (EU citizen) and I want to start my Undergraduate Uni course this September. I am 29 year old and I plan to study outside London. I`ll have no income when I`ll begin my studies, no family, dependants, disabilities or whatsoever. I know if there is no income, I can qualify for 8200 pounds maintenance loan, but that`s pretty tight budget for a year. Can I qualify for some income support?

Regards,
Ash
Reply 3
Original post by Student Money Week
Mature student? Ask us your student finance questions now!

Hello
I am 32 working full time and i do a Psychology BSC degree in my own time through The Open University which has been been mostly supported by educational funding that i qualified for through them - I am due to graduate June 2017 but I would like to do a masters at a university which would mean me giving up work full time as workload is around 40hr per week

Course fees are between £5-9000 and there of course is living expenses like my rent/utilities although i have no dependent children and my degree is un work related so i cant get them to help me fund this

What grants/loans are available to someone my age? In regards the new PG loans for up to £10'000 - due to ex partner i declared bankruptcy in 2012 which was dissolved 2013 and since then i have successfully been building my credit back up as instructed by experts from Experia with a credit building credit card. I am concerned that this could affect any finance that i try to get to fund my masters?

Please could you advise further
Reply 4
Hi I am going to study nursing have been offered a place with a bursary what is the maximum studen loan I can get on top
Reply 5
I'm wondering exactly what is meant by Household Income and how it's measured. I live with my parents, but am independent and take no money from them in fact pay rent with my girlfriend who also lives with us. I need to know if it's judged on my specific circumstance or just taken on a generic metric like parents income or something.
Reply 6
Hi l am a mature student wishing to study Dentistru will l be eligible for a loan as a home student my stay is a spouse visa to a refugee and l have been living in England for over 10 years my conditions on my biometric card says no recourse to public funds does this include education?
Original post by slmarsh
Hi. I wanted to know if I'd be eligible for a reduced rate maintenance loan for Postgraduate Diploma in Midwifery. I've previously done a BSc undergraduate course. I know that I can get the NHS bursary for this course and have heard that SFE will give reduced rate maintenance loan for people with a previous degree and going onto study BSc in Midwifery as it leads to professional registration. I've heard mixed reviews about the PGDip entitlement but this also leads to professional registration so not sure why it would be different? Thanks

Unfortunately Postgraduate diplomas do not attract SFE funding at the moment. We’re running a couple of live webchats on NHS funding this week if you still have questions :
Tuesday - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3868061
Wednesday - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3868113
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Student Money Week
Mature student? Ask us your student finance questions now!

Hi, I am 25 years old and have a conditional offer from my chosen university. I will be applying for finance at the end of February. I am currently living with parents and will be using this address for my application details, however, I will be moving into my own house in July. I understand I am entitled to more Maintenance Loan for living on my own and outside of London, what should I do now?
If I apply and use my parents address now and then later contact you to tell you my new address and that I am not living with parents, will the loan amount be changed and submitted in time for starting Uni in September? I am leaving a full time, 40-50 hour per week job to go to uni, so I am just making sure every small detail is taken care of as I still have financial responsibilities. Thank you in advance, Laura.
Hi I am a graduate planning on going into undergraduate dentistry (I have interviews with a few universities already). I did not take a student loan for my first degree and had to privately fund it (was not so bad at the time as it was only 3.5k then) as I was studying abroad as an expat so didn't qualify for the 3 years before uni starts at the time even though I am a british citizen. However, now that I have been living in the UK for 5+ years what funding would I be able to get from the SLC?

PS. I am on a normal 5 year undergrad course not the 4 year fast track graduate course.
Original post by Noldolante
Hello,

I`ve been living in UK for three years (EU citizen) and I want to start my Undergraduate Uni course this September. I am 29 year old and I plan to study outside London. I`ll have no income when I`ll begin my studies, no family, dependants, disabilities or whatsoever. I know if there is no income, I can qualify for 8200 pounds maintenance loan, but that`s pretty tight budget for a year. Can I qualify for some income support?

Regards,
Ash

Hi Ash From 1 August 2016 new EU students will no longer be eligible for a Maintenance Loan unless they have lived in the UK fora minimum of 5 years.

EU students who have lived in the EEA and Switzerland for 3 years can apply for Tuition Fee Loan only.

If you have any further questions about this you should join our live EU webchat on Friday 11-12pm

NASMA are also running a webchat on EU funding on Thursday 3-4pm and they may be able to advise you about other sources of funding.

Hope this helps!
Original post by Sassafra
Hello
I am 32 working full time and i do a Psychology BSC degree in my own time through The Open University which has been been mostly supported by educational funding that i qualified for through them - I am due to graduate June 2017 but I would like to do a masters at a university which would mean me giving up work full time as workload is around 40hr per week

Course fees are between £5-9000 and there of course is living expenses like my rent/utilities although i have no dependent children and my degree is un work related so i cant get them to help me fund this

What grants/loans are available to someone my age? In regards the new PG loans for up to £10'000 - due to ex partner i declared bankruptcy in 2012 which was dissolved 2013 and since then i have successfully been building my credit back up as instructed by experts from Experia with a credit building credit card. I am concerned that this could affect any finance that i try to get to fund my masters?

Please could you advise further

Hi Sassafra

The only student finance available from SFE for a postgraduate Masters course is the new Postgraduate Loan, available for courses starting in 2016.

This isn’t means tested so doesn’t depend on your household income or any previous bankruptcy.

You can get more information about Postgraduate Loans in our student finance zone.

There may be other forms of finance you could look into, for example your university might offer bursaries or scholarships?

If you need advice on budgeting and debt why not check out our live webchat with Blackbullion on Friday at 2pm.

Hope this helps!
Reply 12
Hi, Im 33 with a 10 month old daughter, hoping to start uni full time in september. In addition to the maintenance loan, im told there is some help towards the cost of childcare i would be eligible for but i cant seem to find the answer for certain. I live with my daughter and partner, my partner is only on £12500 pre tax a year. Are their any other benefits available to me?
Thanks, Lynne
Hi,

I am a little confused by the statement

'If you’re an EU national, but don’t normally live in England you may be able to get a Postgraduate Loan for a Master’s course at a university or college in England'

I live in Wales (typically I have just moved to wales after living in England for 45 years).

I want to do a Masters (P/T) at an English University.

Do I qualify for the Postgraduate Loan or not? - Wales is in the EU?! and the course I wish to do is in England!
Original post by Random.guy
Hi I am a graduate planning on going into undergraduate dentistry (I have interviews with a few universities already). I did not take a student loan for my first degree and had to privately fund it (was not so bad at the time as it was only 3.5k then) as I was studying abroad as an expat so didn't qualify for the 3 years before uni starts at the time even though I am a british citizen. However, now that I have been living in the UK for 5+ years what funding would I be able to get from the SLC?

PS. I am on a normal 5 year undergrad course not the 4 year fast track graduate course.

Hi Random.guy, your question was answered in the previous study webchat, but please let us know if you're looking for anymore information.
Original post by Sarah SFE
Hi Random.guy, your question was answered in the previous study webchat, but please let us know if you're looking for anymore information.

Hi,
Is there any help available then to people in my situation? 9k is a lot of money that I don't have..are there any government or nhs grants which can pay for my tuition fees if the SLC only covers the maintenance part of it?

Many thanks.
Original post by Kevtam69
Hi I am going to study nursing have been offered a place with a bursary what is the maximum studen loan I can get on top

Hi Kevtam69

If you’re eligible for funding from the NHS that doesn’t depend on your income then you won’t get any student finance from SFE.

If you’re eligible for income-assessed funding (that doesn't depend on your household income) from the NHS, can also apply for a reduced rate of Maintenance Loan from us.The amount you can get depends on where you’re living and studying.

The maximum amounts are as follows:

Living with parents -up to £1,744

Studying in London and not living with parents - up to £3,263

Studying outside London and not living with parents - up to£2,324

Please note: you’ll also have to meet the personal eligibility criteria for applying for student finance. You can find out more about this here.
Original post by Gamu4378
Hi l am a mature student wishing to study Dentistru will l be eligible for a loan as a home student my stay is a spouse visa to a refugee and l have been living in England for over 10 years my conditions on my biometric card says no recourse to public funds does this include education?

Hi
To apply for student finance as the spouse of a refugee, you must have been married before the application for asylum status was made. SFE would require evidence to confirm this when you apply.

Hope this helps!
Original post by Kitsyvon
Hi, Im 33 with a 10 month old daughter, hoping to start uni full time in september. In addition to the maintenance loan, im told there is some help towards the cost of childcare i would be eligible for but i cant seem to find the answer for certain. I live with my daughter and partner, my partner is only on £12500 pre tax a year. Are their any other benefits available to me?
Thanks, Lynne

Hi Lynne, depending on your circumstances you might be able to apply for a Childcare Grant and Parents’ Learning Allowance. How much you can get depends on your household income. We’ve got a detailed main guide ‘Extra help Dependants’ Grants 2016/17’ explaining the extra help available to students with children, what grants are available and how to apply. It’s available to download from Student Finance England’s student finance zone.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Giles Mercer
Hi,

I am a little confused by the statement

'If you’re an EU national, but don’t normally live in England you may be able to get a Postgraduate Loan for a Master’s course at a university or college in England'

I live in Wales (typically I have just moved to wales after living in England for 45 years).

I want to do a Masters (P/T) at an English University.

Do I qualify for the Postgraduate Loan or not? - Wales is in the EU?! and the course I wish to do is in England!

Hi Giles, normally to be eligible for any student finance from Student Finance England you have to be ‘ordinarily resident’ in England before the start of your course.
There are some differences for EU students who aren’t living in England. They usually have to be living in the EEA or Switzerland for three years before the start of the first academic year of their course to get student finance. More specific details about who can get aPostgraduate Loan will be available in April/May on Student Finance England’s student finance zone.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending