Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Do you qualify for student finance? Join our live webchat to find out more.

Sally has worked at the Student Loans Company for nearly five years in various roles. She regularly deals with complex queries and works hard to resolve any issues and customer complaints.

Margaret has worked for the Student Loans Company for six years and has experience in Customer Services and assessing. Her main role is supporting the customer advisors in providing excellent customer service. This includes dealing with calls that escalate further, to ensure we provide a successful outcome when things have not gone as planned.

Nicole has two years' experience at the Student Loans Company, dealing with a number of different customer types and queries. She prides herself on her high level of customer service.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there
    I hope to go to Uni, starting at the same time as my sister (September 2016)
    I have found a comment on the site that this "will be taken into account" when means-testing the maintenance grant.
    Is there any quantitative information you can provide as this might make the difference between both of us going or not.
    (I hope this is the correct place to place this question)
    Thank you
    Jay

ReputationRep:
    Hey,are there any loans for european students to help them with their expenses ?Thank you for your time!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I'm thinking of applying for a part-time course with the Open University from overseas. I'm a uk citizen but I've been living abroad and plan to continue doing, this would be my first experience with higher education, so am I eligible for a student loan at all? Would I be able to get the university fees paid, perhaps? Even though I reside outside the uk?

Thank you for your time.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

In August 2016 it will be three years since I`m living in UK. As far as I know I should qualify as a UK student and be eligible for both tuition and maintenance loans if I start my Uni course on September 2016.

What confuses me is this - can I apply online now (in february/march or whenever the applications will be opened) same as UK students do, or do I have to apply through the post as a EU student?

Thanks,
    Ash

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I, like Ash will have been in the UK for three years at the start of my BSc course at university. I am aware that I am eligible for the tuition loan, however I am unsure if I would still be eligible for the maintenance loans as my parents only moved to the UK a month ago and have no record of employment in the UK. We all have NI numbers, my parents were born in England, and we all have UK Passports, however with no history of paying into NI I am unsure if this will disqualify me from the maintenance loans.

Any help or advice you could offer on this would be greatly appreciated
    Kind Regards
    BKH94

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am applying for university in sept 2016/Feb 2017. I will be returning to a children's nursing degree course of which I completed the 1st year back in 2010 but had to withdraw due to personal circumstances. I have already had 2 years funding for a foundation degree and a year for the nursing degree. Will I be eligible for any funding at all?

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am 32 years old and graduated with a BA in marketing in 2004. I've applied to study dentistry via the standard 5 year route (my degree is not eligible for graduate route) and I am struggling to establish what financial support I am eligible for. From what I can gather I am slipping through the cracks and not eligible for much- would I be able to get any support for fees if I've already had a SLC loan previously? Could I get a maintenance loan or NHS bursary? I feel like I am going round in circles and getting nowhere. Would be so grateful for any advice as £9000 a year will be impossible to finance myself! I also have a young child.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have been living in the UK for about 10 years but I'm not the UK sitizen. Im riginally from outside of EU and please please can anyone inform me once and for all whether I am eligible for the student finance or not and when, where and how do I apply for it?
    I would like to start the Extended FOUNDATION course uni in the year of 2016 September.

ReputationRep:
    hi , My daughter has a conditional offer from a Birmingham university for September 2016. From information that i have provided, the University have written to me confirming that my daughter is classified as a Home Student.
    My daughter's residency status is as follows,
    22.04.2011—6.01.2014 Studied in UK ( GCSE AND AS)
    10.02.2014- Current temporarily studying in China
    She has been granted indefinite leave to remain/enter in UK.
    I want to confirm that my daughter will be eligible for student loan and maintenance loan ?
    Also can you advise what supporting information I would need to provide from China confirming her temporary educational status ?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

In my application to the University of Surrey, I accidentally entered that I would be "living at home" while studying. To me, it seemed the right choice, as I will be living in my own home - the flat that I share with my girlfriend. However, I've been told this question actually relates to whether or not I will be living independently from my parents (something made totally unclear on the UCAS application form). Will this affect my application for student finance?

I have applied to begin studies in September this year, and by that point will have been working full time and living financially independent from my parents for >6 years, and will have been living separately from my parents for >3 years. As such, I believe I should be eligible for Student Finance, and that this should be based on my household income (ie just my partner's salary, as I will be quitting my job to study full time). Are you able to confirm if that will be the case? I'm really worried now, as reading the information here (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...udents-2016-17) it suggests my personal income will also be used to determine what level of funding I am eligible for. This will bring it right down to the lowest bracket, but isn't going to be a fair representation at all, because as mentioned I will be quitting work in September immediately prior to starting the course, so we will be wholly reliant on my partner's income while I'm at uni!

Also, I unfortunately missed the session on additional funding options for mature, independent students, so if you have any tips on other options I could explore for additional funding, that would be really helpful. For example, we've been wondering if, while I'm studying at uni, my partner might be eligible for any benefits (eg housing), as based on her income alone our household income is going to be v low (<£15k).

EDIT: one more thing - can you give any more specific clarification on what constitutes living "inside London"? I've tried to find confirmation of this online, and there doesn't seem to be a definitive resource anywhere. Something like this would be really useful to know!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am a British Citizen (and passport holder), and a UK resident (born and raised) but these past four years I have been studying in the Philippines (also I'm currently on the last year of my A levels). However, my mother (who has a resident permit to live in the UK but is a Filipino citizen) and I have been frequently going back and forth to the UK during holidays within these four years. I have already applied to my Universities and 2 of them have offered me a place so far, I have also put down on my application that I will be living at home during my studies. The main earner in my family is my mother (ever since my father passed away) but her occupation is a housewife, so obviously we don't really have a high income. One of my teachers mentioned that Student Loans also do grants for students and that I may qualify one, and as my father left some money in his will, we have been saving that for my University tuition fees. But my mother and I have been talking about the grants, and we think that it would be a great help towards me. We live in the East Midlands, and the universities I have applied to are either in the East/West Midlands. Thank you for your time in considering if I qualify for a Grant.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have a conditional offer to start University in September for Midwifery. When do I apply for finance. I will be married when I start, my other half earns £18,500 per year any idea how much i'll be entitle to. I have 2 children aged 4 and 11.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm starting my first undergraduate degree in Sept 2016. I live with my husband who works full time earning minimum wage and we have 3 children. We receive working and child tax credits. I am disabled and in reciept of DLA and contribution based ESA. We have no savings. I would like to know what elements of my income is used to determine how much of the maintenance loan I am eligible for? Is it the taxable income only (ie hubbys wages & ESA) or is my DLA and tax credits (which are not taxable income) used to determine my household income? Also can you confirm if there is an enhanced rate maintenance loan and if so how much is that and would I be eligible for it due to my disabled status? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I am 24 years old, have two children and live with my partner (not married). I haven't worked for a year and a half due to maternity leave and also had another maternity leave the year before, which obviously impacted my wages. I am now unemployed, starting uni this September. Am I classed as independent as this guidelines seem a bit sketchy when it comes to being under 25! I am financially dependent on my partner for our household and my education. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biased milk)
    Hello,
    I'm thinking of applying for a part-time course with the Open University from overseas. I'm a uk citizen but I've been living abroad and plan to continue doing, this would be my first experience with higher education, so am I eligible for a student loan at all? Would I be able to get the university fees paid, perhaps? Even though I reside outside the uk?

Thank you for your time.
    From my previous experience with the SLC you won't qualify for any loans as you haven'y been living in the UK 3 years prior to starting the course. That was the reason given to me when I was in your situation a few years ago. Though this might depend on whether you were living abroad in an EU country...not too sure on the specifics.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am a graduate planning on going into undergraduate dentistry as a mature student (I have interviews with a few universities already). I did not take a student loan for my first degree and had to privately fund it (was not so bad at the time as it was only 3.5k then) as I was studying abroad as an expat so didn't qualify for the 3 years before uni starts at the time even though I am a british citizen. However, now that I have been living in the UK for 5+ years what funding would I be able to get from the SLC or NHS?

PS. I am on a normal 5 year undergrad course not the 4 year fast track graduate course.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am starting a (graduate entry, 4 year) dentistry course in September and would like to know what tuition fee loan I am entitled to each year, if I am entitled please. As well as what maintenance loan I can be entitled to each year, when living away from home, in the lower income threshold. Already had tuition and maintenance loans for previous degree completing in July.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm starting uni in September 2016. Last year I qualified for student finance but due to taking a gap year I didn't take it up. I haven't heard back from all my unis yet but when is the earliest date I can apply for student finance? And what is the closing date (to ensure that I receive my loans in time for the start of uni)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student Money Week)

Sally has worked at the Student Loans Company for nearly five years in various roles. She regularly deals with complex queries and works hard to resolve any issues and customer complaints.

Margaret has worked for the Student Loans Company for six years and has experience in Customer Services and assessing. Her main role is supporting the customer advisors in providing excellent customer service. This includes dealing with calls that escalate further, to ensure we provide a successful outcome when things have not gone as planned.

Nicole has two years' experience at the Student Loans Company, dealing with a number of different customer types and queries. She prides herself on her high level of customer service.
    (Original post by Student Money Week)

I'm here in the student room but where is the web chat?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.