The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JayBrowne
Hi there
I hope to go to Uni, starting at the same time as my sister (September 2016)
I have found a comment on the site that this "will be taken into account" when means-testing the maintenance grant.
Is there any quantitative information you can provide as this might make the difference between both of us going or not.
(I hope this is the correct place to place this question)
Thank you
Jay

Hi Jay,

Thank you for your question.

From September 2016 the maintenance grant is no longer available for new students and this has been replaced by a fully means tested maintenance loan. The amount of maintenance loan you are entitled to does vary depending on your household income, where you are living and whether you have any siblings studying. I wouldn't be able to give you exact figures today on this forum but if you use the Student Finance Calculator available at https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator this will give you an idea based on your circumstances of what you may be eligible for in 16/17.

Thanks

Sally Gallagher
Original post by deea0055
Hey,are there any loans for european students to help them with their expenses ?Thank you for your time!

Hello,

The funding that is available for a European student is the tuition fee loan for your course and a bursary if your University is part of our scheme.

However there could be other funding available depending on your circumstances. For further guidance please contact our European Help line on 0141 243 3570 and our lines are open 09:00- 5.30 Monday- Friday.

Many Thanks
Nicole Johns
Hi there Biased Milk,

With regard to Part Time Funding through the Open University, I would advise that you need to be a resident in England on the first day of your course to qualify for any Tuition Fee Loan.

Many Thanks
Margaret
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Hi,
In September 2014 I started a 4 year psychology degree at university but dropped out in march 2015, due to personal issues. I am now going to be starting a new 3 psychology degree at a different university in September 2016.
I was wondering if I will get funding for all 3 years or if it will just be for the first 2 years as I have already had a years funding.
Thank you,
Kerry
Reply 24
I have just completed a Masters which I self funded. I would now like to study a PGCE Lifelong Learning. Will I be eligible for student finance support on this course? I had a student loan for my undergraduate degree. Thanks.
Reply 25
I am planning on starting university in September 2016, and I was wondering if both my parents incomes are assessed when it comes to deciding how much maintenance loan I will receive, or is it just based on your household income (I only live with one parent)

Many Thanks, Charlie
Original post by kathrynm
Hello,

I am 32 years old and graduated with a BA in marketing in 2004. I've applied to study dentistry via the standard 5 year route (my degree is not eligible for graduate route) and I am struggling to establish what financial support I am eligible for. From what I can gather I am slipping through the cracks and not eligible for much- would I be able to get any support for fees if I've already had a SLC loan previously? Could I get a maintenance loan or NHS bursary? I feel like I am going round in circles and getting nowhere. Would be so grateful for any advice as £9000 a year will be impossible to finance myself! I also have a young child.

Thanks

Hi Kathryn,

If you already hold an honours degree ordinarily you would not be eligible for any further funding to study a second degree. However, Dentistry is classed as an exception course, which means you would be eligible for maintenance loan plus any grants for dependants if you have children or an adult dependant for the duration of the 5 year course but no tuition fee loan.

In years 1-4 we would pay a fully means tested maintenance loan, then in year 5 you would become eligible for the NHS bursary that would cover your fees and a certain amount of maintenance support. Therefore, in year 5 we would pay a reduced amount of maintenance loan.

I hope this answers your query.

Thanks

Sally Gallagher
Original post by Noldolante
Hello,

In August 2016 it will be three years since I`m living in UK. As far as I know I should qualify as a UK student and be eligible for both tuition and maintenance loans if I start my Uni course on September 2016.

What confuses me is this - can I apply online now (in february/march or whenever the applications will be opened) same as UK students do, or do I have to apply through the post as a EU student?

Thanks,
Ash

Hello Ash,

As of the 16/17 academic year our rules and regulations have changed and to qualify as a home student the residency that a student needs to meet is now 5 years prior to the start of your course.

This means that the funding available to you would be as a European student. The applications for new students are going to be released on 28th March 2016 and you would need to apply by post with a paper application form.

For further information please contact our European help line on 0141 243 3570 and our lines are open 9:00 am-5:30 pm Monday to Friday.

Many Thanks

Nicole Johns
Original post by Nataliecox13
Hi, I am applying for university in sept 2016/Feb 2017. I will be returning to a children's nursing degree course of which I completed the 1st year back in 2010 but had to withdraw due to personal circumstances. I have already had 2 years funding for a foundation degree and a year for the nursing degree. Will I be eligible for any funding at all?

Hi Natalie,

Ordinarily having 3 years previous study would impact your funding entitlment. However, as you are studying a nursing course that qualifies for the NHS bursary your previous study will not impact your funding entitlement.

NHS courses attract a reduced rate of maintenance loan only for the duration of your course. Therefore, if you are looking to return to your studies in 16/17 then you will just apply as a new student when the applications open.
When it’s time to apply, visit www.gov.uk/studentfinanceIf your application’s late your money might be too! Applyearly to make sure you have your money in time for starting your course.
Thanks

Sally Gallagher
Hi there BKH94

I can confirm that if you are British National with a UK Passport and also have lived in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of your course, you will be eligible as a home student. With regard to your parents supporting your application to enable you to be considered for Means Tested Maintenance Loan, we can use their taxable income from any country, it does not need to be only taxable income from UK. We may require evidence of the address history dependant on the information you provide on your application.

Thanks very much
Margaret
(edited 8 years ago)
HI, I am applying for an NHS course sept 2016, so I was wondering what I will get from student finance england, do i get a reduced maintenance loan along with my NHS bursary and if so how much would it be? thanks
Original post by Sciencestats
I have been living in the UK for about 10 years but I'm not the UK sitizen. Im riginally from outside of EU and please please can anyone inform me once and for all whether I am eligible for the student finance or not and when, where and how do I apply for it?
I would like to start the Extended FOUNDATION course uni in the year of 2016 September.

Hello,

A student's eligibility for funding when living outside of the EU is dependent on their status within the UK.

If you were to contact our Student Finance England help line on 0300 100 0607 our lines are open 8:00 am- 8:00 pm Monday- Friday and 9:00 am- 4:00 pm Saturday and Sunday. We can then find out some more information regarding your status to help with what funding is available to you.

Many Thanks

Nicole Johns
Hi Sally,

If a parent of a student applying for finance were to inherit money shortly after the student applied, and similarly that student also inherited money after applying, how would this affect the student's entitlement to a maintenance loan?

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but I understand that neither inheritance affects the maintenance loan entitlement (i.e. that student could still receive the maximum of £8200 per year) however, the interest accrued each year would be means tested as part of the parents income? However, if the interest of the parents inheritance accrued per annum was their only source of income, or else their income was still below the lower threshold, that student could still receive £8,200, correct?

For the student's inheritance, what figure would they need to inherit for them to no longer be able to receive the maximum £8200 loan? Or is it, again, only the interest which is relevant?
Original post by wei wang
hi , My daughter has a conditional offer from a Birmingham university for September 2016. From information that i have provided, the University have written to me confirming that my daughter is classified as a Home Student.
My daughter's residency status is as follows,
22.04.2011—6.01.2014 Studied in UK ( GCSE AND AS)
10.02.2014- Current temporarily studying in China
She has been granted indefinite leave to remain/enter in UK.
I want to confirm that my daughter will be eligible for student loan and maintenance loan ?
Also can you advise what supporting information I would need to provide from China confirming her temporary educational status ?

Hi Wei Wang,

In order to qualify for student finance your daughter would need to have settled status in the UK, have 3 years residency with the UK prior to the start of the academic year (in this case 1st September 2016) and be resident in England before the first day of the academic year.

In your daughter's case she has not established her 3 years residency in the UK as she left to go to China in February 2014. We may be able to consider this a temporary break in residency if your daughter can send us evidence that this was a temporary move such as temporary visa etc. However, we will not be able to confirm whether she is eligible for funding until we see her application and evidence together.

We would also need details of what she has been studying abroad as the level of qualification she has studied there could impact what funding she may be eligible for.

If you would like to discuss this further please call our Customer Services department on 0300 100 0607.

Thanks

Sally Gallagher
Hello,

It's me.
I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Jamie
Original post by tinks0304
Hi I have a conditional offer to start University in September for Midwifery. When do I apply for finance. I will be married when I start, my other half earns £18,500 per year any idea how much i'll be entitle to. I have 2 children aged 4 and 11.

Hi,

As midwifery is an NHS course you would only be entitled to a non income assessed reduced rate maintenance loan from Student Finance England. The reason for this is the NHS provide bursaries to pay for fees and living costs.

Applications are likely to be available from 29th February 2016. When it’s time to apply, visit www.gov.uk/studentfinance

If your application’s late your money might be too! Applyearly to make sure you have your money in time for starting your course.

If you would like to know what your NHS bursary entitlement may you would need to contact the NHS Business Services Authority and details of NHS bursaries can be found at http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students.aspx.

Thanks

Sally Gallagher
Reply 36
Original post by Student Money Week
Do you qualify for student finance? Join our live webchat to find out more.

Sally has worked at the Student Loans Company for nearly five years in various roles. She regularly deals with complex queries and works hard to resolve any issues and customer complaints.

Margaret has worked for the Student Loans Company for six years and has experience in Customer Services and assessing. Her main role is supporting the customer advisors in providing excellent customer service. This includes dealing with calls that escalate further, to ensure we provide a successful outcome when things have not gone as planned.

Nicole has two years' experience at the Student Loans Company, dealing with a number of different customer types and queries. She prides herself on her high level of customer service.

I was a BA first year History student in 1996 and had to leave due to the care needs of my father who suffered a massive stroke. For the past 20 years I have been caring for my mother and father until their recent deaths. I have been offered an unconditional place on a Creative Writing Course starting this year 2016. My original student loan was cancelled due to my own long term ill health. My question is can I apply for a student loan to cover my course fees and upkeep for offered degree course starting September 2016?
Original post by JeanCartwright
Hello, I am a British Citizen (and passport holder), and a UK resident (born and raised) but these past four years I have been studying in the Philippines (also I'm currently on the last year of my A levels). However, my mother (who has a resident permit to live in the UK but is a Filipino citizen) and I have been frequently going back and forth to the UK during holidays within these four years. I have already applied to my Universities and 2 of them have offered me a place so far, I have also put down on my application that I will be living at home during my studies. The main earner in my family is my mother (ever since my father passed away) but her occupation is a housewife, so obviously we don't really have a high income. One of my teachers mentioned that Student Loans also do grants for students and that I may qualify one, and as my father left some money in his will, we have been saving that for my University tuition fees. But my mother and I have been talking about the grants, and we think that it would be a great help towards me. We live in the East Midlands, and the universities I have applied to are either in the East/West Midlands. Thank you for your time in considering if I qualify for a Grant.

Hello Jean,

As of the 16/17 academic year our rules and regulations have changed and for a student to be eligible for home funding they would need to have 5 years residency within the UK prior to the start of their course.

As you have stated you are a UK resident but have been studying in the Philippines for the last 4 years. If you can provide evidence that this was on a temporary basis then Student Finance England can assess this towards your claim for funding.

To proceed with your application for University I would advise that you send in an application along with evidence of a temporary break such as temporary visa or evidence of your study for your funding to be assessed.

From September Student Finance England will no longer have grants available but will have further means tested loans that you could apply for, applications for new students are released on the 29th February 2016.

If you would like any further information please contact Student Finance England on 0300 100 0607.

Many Thanks

Nicole Johns
Original post by Vicki23031980
Hi,

I'm starting my first undergraduate degree in Sept 2016. I live with my husband who works full time earning minimum wage and we have 3 children. We receive working and child tax credits. I am disabled and in reciept of DLA and contribution based ESA. We have no savings. I would like to know what elements of my income is used to determine how much of the maintenance loan I am eligible for? Is it the taxable income only (ie hubbys wages & ESA) or is my DLA and tax credits (which are not taxable income) used to determine my household income? Also can you confirm if there is an enhanced rate maintenance loan and if so how much is that and would I be eligible for it due to my disabled status? Thank you.

Hi Vicki,

Thank you for your questions.

Firstly when assessing your student finance entitlement we take into account the taxable income only for your husband. If you qualify for benefits such as ESA and DLA and you will be receiving these during the academic year you may receive a higher rate of maintenance loan. To find out an estimated figure of what you would be eligible for you can use our Student Finance Calculator available at https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator.

As you are married and have children, depending on your household income you may be eligible for Grants for Dependents such as Child Care Grant, Parents Learning Allowance and Adult Dependents Grant.

Also you have stated you have a disability you may qualify for Disable Students Allowance to help support you in your studies.

For everything you need to know about student finance fromhow and when to apply to repaying, bookmark SFE’s student finance zone on TheStudent Room at www.thestudentroom.co.uk/studentfinance

Thanks

Sally Gallagher
Hi there

I can confirm that your funding can change dependent on where you are living. You have stated that you are living with your partner therefore you will class this as living elsewhere. The rules and regulations stipulate that if you are 25 or under it is based on your parents household income. If you are under 25 and not married, but can send ividence to show that you have been living independently for any 3 years prior to the start of your course as per the following list of guidelines:
function HideHeadforBlankSec(){var aDT=document.body.getElementsByTagName('dt'); var aDD=document.body.getElementsByTagName('dd'); for(var i=0; i

In paid full-time employment

In receipt of Income Support, JSA or other state benefits paid to a person who is registered as unemployed

In receipt of incapacity benefits, invalidity pension or maternity allowance

Receiving training under any scheme for the unemployed or other funding by any state authority or agency

We do not take your income into account as you are the student, but for more guidance, please feel free to contact us or refer to the Student Loans Website.

The additional funding and support for an Adult Dependant Grant will depend on whether you are over 25 and have children. Therefore you may need to contact us to discuss your personal circumstances further.

With regard to receiving the London Rate for your Maintenance Loan while at University, it will automatically take into account, if the University you are attending falls into the London Area/Catchment and the higher rate would be awarded.

I hope this helps resolve some of your queries.

Thanks very much
Margaret

Original post by stevebutler2210
Hi there,

In my application to the University of Surrey, I accidentally entered that I would be "living at home" while studying. To me, it seemed the right choice, as I will be living in my own home - the flat that I share with my girlfriend. However, I've been told this question actually relates to whether or not I will be living independently from my parents (something made totally unclear on the UCAS application form). Will this affect my application for student finance?

I have applied to begin studies in September this year, and by that point will have been working full time and living financially independent from my parents for >6 years, and will have been living separately from my parents for >3 years. As such, I believe I should be eligible for Student Finance, and that this should be based on my household income (ie just my partner's salary, as I will be quitting my job to study full time). Are you able to confirm if that will be the case? I'm really worried now, as reading the information here (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=5953-Parents-and-partners-of-students-2016-17) it suggests my personal income will also be used to determine what level of funding I am eligible for. This will bring it right down to the lowest bracket, but isn't going to be a fair representation at all, because as mentioned I will be quitting work in September immediately prior to starting the course, so we will be wholly reliant on my partner's income while I'm at uni!

Also, I unfortunately missed the session on additional funding options for mature, independent students, so if you have any tips on other options I could explore for additional funding, that would be really helpful. For example, we've been wondering if, while I'm studying at uni, my partner might be eligible for any benefits (eg housing), as based on her income alone our household income is going to be v low (<£15k).

EDIT: one more thing - can you give any more specific clarification on what constitutes living "inside London"? I've tried to find confirmation of this online, and there doesn't seem to be a definitive resource anywhere. Something like this would be really useful to know!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Latest

Trending

Trending