Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Want to know more about doing an apprenticeship? Ask Harry.

Harry is an Electronic Engineering Apprentice for Science and Technology Facilities Council. He maintains and develops world leading machines to aid the development and research into science.

ReputationRep:
    Will it be possible to watch this session at a later date/time?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 1st year engineering university student and summer is not that far away. I want to do something automotive-related, but everything is either a uni degree or 1-year apprenticeship and I can't commit myself to that.

My question is: Is there something one can do during the summer (late June - Mid September) related to the automotive industry? Keep in mind I don't know that much about cars and It would be best to start learning from scratch.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am 21 years old and have completed a 3 year aerospace engineering apprenticeship with a prestigious aerospace company in the summer of 2015 and am now considered by the company as an engineer. From the apprenticeship I have achieve a BTEC level 3 in Mechanical Engineering, a HNC BTEC level 4 in Engineering, an NVQ level 2 and an NVQ level 3. I have applied for university for 2016 entry for mechanical engineering at various universities (with one response so far - an unconditional), however I would like to know what you think of this situation. I have successfully attained a job which would normally require a degree, without getting a degree, and so arguably I do not need to go to university at all, and I could follow the natural progression of my career path (which has no guarantee of going anywhere). If I go to university I remove the security of having a job, but I will also get a degree. My thought is that with a degree and 3 years of industrial experience (the first year was entirely at college), I will have reasonably good chances of getting other engineering jobs. I would like to work abroad, preferably the states, after university. The main reason for me applying for university in the first place is for future employability purposes.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I find myself stuck in between a rock and a hard place. I want to do software engineering, but I don't know what to do about it. Do I do a degree, or an apprenticeship? I like the apprentice option, because of the cost... obviously, nothing. But why do so many people chose Uni?

My concern with University is the cost. Thousands of £'s worth of debt to go to a mediocre university, when I can get an apprenticeship doing more hands on, less academic work where I can get paid upwards of £16,000 a year, whilst being taught by a VERY reputable and huge tech company.

What do I do? Any suggestions? Has anyone been in this situation before?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxbacon)
    I'm a 1st year engineering university student and summer is not that far away. I want to do something automotive-related, but everything is either a uni degree or 1-year apprenticeship and I can't commit myself to that.

My question is: Is there something one can do during the summer (late June - Mid September) related to the automotive industry? Keep in mind I don't know that much about cars and It would be best to start learning from scratch.
    Hi Max, I work at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Didcot and we offer various different summer placements for students who either want to earn money or gain some world class experience in the field of Science. Whilst this may not apply to you, if you ask places that offer apprenticeships directly with an email, then you may be able to get in with some work experience / paid work. The Automotive industry is struggling to find skilled workers at the moment, so if you were to perform in a placement such as this then a job at the end of the your uni degree is certainly feasible.
    Good luck with the rest of your studies.

Harry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrack)
    Hi,

I find myself stuck in between a rock and a hard place. I want to do software engineering, but I don't know what to do about it. Do I do a degree, or an apprenticeship? I like the apprentice option, because of the cost... obviously, nothing. But why do so many people chose Uni?

My concern with University is the cost. Thousands of £'s worth of debt to go to a mediocre university, when I can get an apprenticeship doing more hands on, less academic work where I can get paid upwards of £16,000 a year, whilst being taught by a VERY reputable and huge tech company.

What do I do? Any suggestions? Has anyone been in this situation before?

Thank you!
    Hey Alex,

I was in your exact same position at one point, but with Electronic Engineering. I've seen my close friends go through Uni whilst I have been doing my Apprenticeship and some have often said they wish they had taken the same route as me. If you are looking for a more hands on approach with less academia then Apprenticeships would definitely appeal to you more. With that being said, apprenticeships nowadays especially with big organisations can open doors such as paying for you to do a part time bachelors degree. Whilst it is true that you get to go to Uni and learn good life skills such as surviving by yourself and strict money management skills, this isn't for everyone.
    I hope this has helped.

Harry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbor)
    Hi,

I am 21 years old and have completed a 3 year aerospace engineering apprenticeship with a prestigious aerospace company in the summer of 2015 and am now considered by the company as an engineer. From the apprenticeship I have achieve a BTEC level 3 in Mechanical Engineering, a HNC BTEC level 4 in Engineering, an NVQ level 2 and an NVQ level 3. I have applied for university for 2016 entry for mechanical engineering at various universities (with one response so far - an unconditional), however I would like to know what you think of this situation. I have successfully attained a job which would normally require a degree, without getting a degree, and so arguably I do not need to go to university at all, and I could follow the natural progression of my career path (which has no guarantee of going anywhere). If I go to university I remove the security of having a job, but I will also get a degree. My thought is that with a degree and 3 years of industrial experience (the first year was entirely at college), I will have reasonably good chances of getting other engineering jobs. I would like to work abroad, preferably the states, after university. The main reason for me applying for university in the first place is for future employability purposes.

Thoughts?
    Hi there,

First of all congratulations on your unconditional! This is a lot like the route I am currently on, where I have soon completed my HNC level 4 and your previously mentioned qualifications. To get into the States and to get a green card, having a bachelors alongside your aerospace experience you would be in a very strong position. However, seen as you have spend 3/4 years working with your company, and with them forking out a lot of money for your education, it would be in their interests to keep you. Have you thought of asking then what your chances are of doing a part time degree? This would be an ideal scenario as you would carry on gaining industrial experience. If this is not possible, and you want to have as good employability rating as you can, then going to university to get a degree is something you could consider.

Thanks

Harry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l1lvink)
    Will it be possible to watch this session at a later date/time?
    Hey there,

Is there something particular you would like to ask?

Harry

ReputationRep:
    Did you ever have any regrets about not gping to uni? Also, would it still be possible to work in the space industry having completed an Aerospace Engineering Apprenticeship? Is the content of an apprenticeship the same or very similar to that of a degree (namely the maths and physics contents)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h.xlx)
    Did you ever have any regrets about not gping to uni? Also, would it still be possible to work in the space industry having completed an Aerospace Engineering Apprenticeship? Is the content of an apprenticeship the same or very similar to that of a degree (namely the maths and physics contents)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is a good question, and one that I'm often asked.
    The straight answer is no - I have never had any regrets. The only time I've had thoughts about what could've been is when my friends are going out mid-week and I'm in bed as I have to get up for work, but that's what work is. The truth is for me I wouldn't change anything. I have the money to go to see any of mates in the UK for the weekend If I want to.
    Definitely! We have a space department on site, and many, many people that work there came through as apprentices. It depends a lot on what you want to do within the Space industry. In my job I use electronic circuit theorems and waveform analysis everyday which is things you cover over a degree, as well as things such as printed circuit board (PCB) design.
    I imagine an aerospace engineering degree is very similar, particular as you said with Maths and Physics. Obviously an apprenticeship contains more practical work then the degree, and the degree is more theory based.
    I hope this gives you some insight into your question, if you have another feel free to fire it at me.

Harry
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone who visited, posted and contributed to this live webchat. And a big thanks to Harry for taking the time out to answer questions.

There's plenty more going on today and the rest of the Student Money Week, so check our calendar of activity and get involved.

Ray.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.