Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hattie from UCAS is here to answer any questions you have about applying for your university or college place.

Hattie joined UCAS in 2014 as a Customer Service Adviser and has been working with the assisted online team for the last year. She deals with a wide range of queries from applicants, teachers, advisers and learners across the world.

ReputationRep:
    Hi and hope you are all doing well,

I have received 4 out of my 5 choices, with 2 rejections and 2 offers. However, as i missed the deadline to do so, i could not change one of my uni choices to Roehampton University. And apparently, if you recieve an offer, you are not eligible for Extra unless you reject them all.

My question is this, I recieved an offer from my 2nd firm choice but unless I reject all offers I cannot add another uni to my choices. Is there any way i could go about this without having to reject my firm offer and still add another uni?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Currently going through training with the Royal Marines reserve and looking to extend into officer training.

I'm studying with the open university doing a Computing an IT degree 360 credits of study (http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q62).

In order to be applicable for officer training I need to obtain 180 UCAS points to begin, does any part of my OU degree generate any UCAS points for me?

Thanks,
    Jack

ReputationRep:
    Hii,
    I am a lower sixth pupil and i will have to write a personal statement soon and apply for my UCAS application. I would like to study mechanical engineering in university and i would like to get an idea on what a personal statement for someone wanting to do engineering is supposed to have and what type of things im supposed to get involved in school.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing my GCSE'S in year 11 but i need to start thinking about the steps i should take when i leave school. I know i definitely want to do my a-levels and the subjects i'm interested in are English, Sociology, Law and Phycology (However i haven't talked to a tutor yet so i'm unsure about this subject) Which ever one i least enjoy i'll drop after 1 year so i have an AS level.

I haven't decided whether i want to do my A-LEVELS in a sixth form or a college.. My friends are already beginning to apply and i'm afraid if i don't apply now i may not get a space.

My question is, can you apply to more than one place in case you don't get accepted into the other? And what happens if i get accepted into both?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I have my A2 grades already (sat them last year) and achieved ABBC in maths, biology, physics and chemistry respectively. I want to apply for audiology or physiotherapy (haven't fully made up my mind as of yet). What is the final deadline for submitting an application (Bearing in mind these courses rarely come up in clearing for the 'highly ranked' universities I presume).

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I started the year doing 4 A levels and applied to university planning to finish them all. But I've got two offers and both only require 3 A levels. I don't think I'll be able to get the grades I need if I'm doing all four.

Would I be able to drop an A level now, even though I put it as pending on UCAS? Would it affect my offers?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have an offer for Physics but would like to take a gap year. How easy is it to deffer entry and what would the process be?

ReputationRep:
    Does it mean u can get any grade?
    How can you get it?
    The chance of getting ?
    Why do they give it to u?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As the title says I have received an offer from the uni that will be my firm choice and I want to firm it to get accommodation sorted there but I have not yet received an offer from the uni that will be my insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Are the CAT points achieved when you get a certificate of higher education worth anything as UCAS points?

ReputationRep:
    will it be okay if i dont resit the AS maths again, since i already have an A2 'A' grade in hand, so i will only need to do A2 Psychology and Sociology to get in to uni....

what do u guys think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King7)
    Hi and hope you are all doing well,

I have received 4 out of my 5 choices, with 2 rejections and 2 offers. However, as i missed the deadline to do so, i could not change one of my uni choices to Roehampton University. And apparently, if you recieve an offer, you are not eligible for Extra unless you reject them all.

My question is this, I recieved an offer from my 2nd firm choice but unless I reject all offers I cannot add another uni to my choices. Is there any way i could go about this without having to reject my firm offer and still add another uni?

Thank you
    Hi there,

It’s only possible to substitute a choice if you’re within 7 days of the date shown in your Welcome Email. If you’re outside of the 7 days and you’ve used all 5 choices, then the next option available to you would be Extra when it opens on 25 February.

You’re eligible for Extra if you’ve used all five choices in your application and you’re not holding any offers. This means that all your choices must either be unsuccessful, you’ve declined any offers or cancelled any choices you have not received decisions for.

I’m afraid it’s not possible to add a further choice in Extra whilst holding your current offers.

Detailed information on Extra can be found here: http://ow.ly/IpuH0

Hattie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack105)
    Currently going through training with the Royal Marines reserve and looking to extend into officer training.

I'm studying with the open university doing a Computing an IT degree 360 credits of study (http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q62).

In order to be applicable for officer training I need to obtain 180 UCAS points to begin, does any part of my OU degree generate any UCAS points for me?

Thanks,
    Jack
    Hi Jack,

The OU Degree wouldn’t attract any UCAS Tariff points.

UCAS doesn’t endorse employers asking for UCAS points. The Tariff system was specifically designed to help universities compare qualifications to each other and to be able to assess applicants for their courses in a particular year. Some universities choose not to use the system at all and will only ever ask for specific grades rather than points.

Employers have little understanding of the Tariff system and how it’s used. Simply seeing that someone may have more UCAS points than another person isn’t really a valid way of assessing someone's employability.

For example, points for qualifications can change from year to year and many perfectly valid UK qualifications and most international qualifications don’t appear on the Tariff and therefore aren’t attributed points. If a qualification doesn’t receive UCAS points, this is no reflection on the quality of the qualification or its reputability.

This will normally be because the awarding body hasn’t asked UCAS to consider it for the Tariff or because the qualification is structured in such a way that it wasn’t possible to award it UCAS points (the awarding of points being a way of comparing it in academic level to other courses e.g. 3 A grades at 'A' Level receive 360 points which is considered comparable to 3'Distinctions' in a BTEC National Diploma).

I’m sorry that I can’t be of more help with this, but best of luck with your application for officer training.

(Please feel free to pass this information on to the employer).

Hattie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fred Bosire)
    Hii,
    I am a lower sixth pupil and i will have to write a personal statement soon and apply for my UCAS application. I would like to study mechanical engineering in university and i would like to get an idea on what a personal statement for someone wanting to do engineering is supposed to have and what type of things im supposed to get involved in school.
    Hi there,

I’m unable to provide specific advice on what you should include when applying for mechanical engineering, however, I can provide general advice on how to complete your personal statement.

You can write up to 4,000 characters of text that shows you’d make a great student. You may need to make a few redrafts until you’re completely happy withit. This personal statement tool is really handy when writing your statement: http://ow.ly/UenSh

This blog containing the top 10 places to get personal statement tips is also really useful: http://ow.ly/TQxT9

Course descriptions mention the qualities, skills and experience it’s useful to have for each subject – you may want to make a note of these to help you decide what to write about. Remember it’s the same personal statement for all the courses you apply to, so avoid mentioning unis and colleges by name. Let your choices know why you’re applying e.g. your interests and ambitions, and let them know what makes you suitable for the course. You should include any relevant skills and experience or achievements gained from education, work or other activities.

Once you’re happy with what you have written you’re ready to submit the personal statement. I’d recommend that you keep a personal copy safe for future reference/interviews etc.

Best of luck with your application!

Hattie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaIsY_gIrL_99)
    I'm currently doing my GCSE'S in year 11 but i need to start thinking about the steps i should take when i leave school. I know i definitely want to do my a-levels and the subjects i'm interested in are English, Sociology, Law and Phycology (However i haven't talked to a tutor yet so i'm unsure about this subject) Which ever one i least enjoy i'll drop after 1 year so i have an AS level.

I haven't decided whether i want to do my A-LEVELS in a sixth form or a college.. My friends are already beginning to apply and i'm afraid if i don't apply now i may not get a space.

My question is, can you apply to more than one place in case you don't get accepted into the other? And what happens if i get accepted into both?
    Hi there,

I'm not involved with applications for college so I'd recommend visiting the UCAS Progress Facebook page about this. A member of the UCAS Progress team will be happy to help you with your enquiry.

You can also find information on the UCAS Progress pages on the UCAS website: http://ow.ly/Y7Wp5

Sorry that I can't be of more help with this.

Hattie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GapYear123456)
    Hi there,
    I have my A2 grades already (sat them last year) and achieved ABBC in maths, biology, physics and chemistry respectively. I want to apply for audiology or physiotherapy (haven't fully made up my mind as of yet). What is the final deadline for submitting an application (Bearing in mind these courses rarely come up in clearing for the 'highly ranked' universities I presume).

Thanks
    Hi there,

You can submit an application with choices on up until 30 June. Please be aware that as the 15 January deadline has now passed if you submit an application it will be marked as late. I would advise you to contact any universities that you are looking to apply to and check they still have vacancies before submitting an application to them.

Contact details for the universities andcolleges can be found by searching for the provider search via the undergraduate search tool: http://ow.ly/lGJRI

Best of luck with everything

Hattie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    I started the year doing 4 A levels and applied to university planning to finish them all. But I've got two offers and both only require 3 A levels. I don't think I'll be able to get the grades I need if I'm doing all four.

Would I be able to drop an A level now, even though I put it as pending on UCAS? Would it affect my offers?
    Hi there,

I’d recommend speaking with your choices before dropping any of your current qualifications. If they've made you offers based on 3 A Levels then it should be ok, however, it's best to clarify this with all of your choices first so that you can ensure it won't have an impact on your offers.

Contact details for the universities and colleges can be found by searching for the provider via the undergraduate search tool: http://ow.ly/lGJRI

If you decide to drop a subject you'll need to notify UCAS (as well as all of your choices) so that your application can be amended.

Hattie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hlyon200)
    Hi, I have an offer for Physics but would like to take a gap year. How easy is it to deffer entry and what would the process be?
    Hi there,

Congratulations on your offer!

Your choices are responsible for deciding whether or not you are able to defer entry onto your chosen course. You should contact them directly to discuss this.

If they agree to defer your entry they will be able to update this on your application and the change will then show on UCAS Track.

Hattie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frances98)
    As the title says I have received an offer from the uni that will be my firm choice and I want to firm it to get accommodation sorted there but I have not yet received an offer from the uni that will be my insurance.
    Hi there,

Congratulations on your offer!

It's not possible to make your replies until you've received decisions from all of your choices. If you log into UCAS Track you'll see the date that your choices have been given to make their replies by.

You may want to check our guidance on replying to offers here: http://ow.ly/IVIQZ

If you have any concerns about accommodation and it's availability, i'd recommend that you speak with your choices directly.

Best of luck with everything

Hattie

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.