Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Want to know more about the loans you can get to help pay your tuition fees and living costs. Ask Gerard your questions.

Gerard has worked at the Student Loans Company for 10 years. He has an in depth knowledge of student finance processes and repayment.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    What are the thresholds for the income assessed loans? And what percentage (not too sure if it's changed now?) of the loan that's income assessed?

ReputationRep:
    How do I know which loans I am suitable for?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm applying to study BSc Occupational therapy as a mature student and have previously had a student loan plus a career development loan. I'm aware that students on NHS funded courses can normally apply for a reduced maintenance loan from SLC in addition to the NHS bursary but I'm not sure whether I will be eligible to do so, having already has a loan from SLC? I'm a bit concerned about how I will be able to cover my living costs without an additional loan.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, yesterday I got offered a place at University for the creative arts - Epsom campus
    Could you tell me if when I start my finance application whether this campus will come under the London weighting area
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am a graduate planning on going into undergraduate dentistry (I have interviews with a few universities already). I did not take a student loan for my first degree and had to privately fund it (was not so bad at the time as it was only 3.5k at the time) as I was studying abroad as an expat so didn't qualify for the 3 years before uni starts at the time even though I am a british citizen. However, now that I have been living in the UK for 5+ years what funding would I be able to get from the SLC?

PS. I am on a normal 5 year undergrad course not the 4 year fast track graduate course.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm an italian girl and I've applied to some drama schools here in London.When I am supposed to ask for a loan? I don't know for sure if I will get in because there is an audition to go through, so I am a bit confused if asking now or just in the case that I will be accepted.What should I do then?Thanks for your time,hope to hearing soon from you

ReputationRep:
    in September I'm starting a course in marine biology at Southampton university. I'm not going into student halls and have found a private student housing company I want to move in with. I wanted to know if there is a way of having the maintenance loan paid in one lump sum to pay for my accommodation annually, as if I pay in installments I need a guarantor. Unfortunately none of my family members are able to do this as they can't work or are retired.

ReputationRep:
    Hello I will be doing Adult Nursing in September this year as a mature student.
    At current I live with my parents but am currently in the process of buying my first home with my partner.
    I should be moved in and sorted hopefully by april.
    However I have no idea if my student loan will be based on my parents income or my partners?

ReputationRep:
    So from what I can remember, I applied for a Maintenance grant along with a maintenance loan last year just in time for the academic year. However I have only just realised that it wasn't under my entitlement summary section. I thought the instalments I was receiving included the maintenance grant. I have rang them and they said I had not applied for the maintenance grant but if I wish to apply I had to fill out two forms and send it back to them. I know that you can apply 9 months after the academic year started so my question is, do I get all the maintenance grant this April(that weren't paid to me in the past two student loan instalments where I was supposed to be getting the grant) along with my student loan or not?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am resident in UK, originally from Lithuania. I have been working and paying taxes in London for the past 5 years. I hold an international baccalaureate in business. In September 2016 I am starting a foundation degree in 3d design. I would like to know if I am entitled for both tuition fee loan and maintenance loan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student Money Week)
    Want to know more about the loans you can get to help pay your tuition fees and living costs. Ask Gerard your questions.

Gerard has worked at the Student Loans Company for 10 years. He has an in depth knowledge of student finance processes and repayment.
    Dear Gerard,
    I am a mature student on an Access course wanting a degree in Dietetics. I already have a BEd so if I did not get on the dietetics course could I get a loan or finance to let me do a nutrition course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    What are the thresholds for the income assessed loans? And what percentage (not too sure if it's changed now?) of the loan that's income assessed?
    Hi there,

The thresholds for the income assessed loans start at £25K, the maximum is £62,180, for a more accurate estimation please see the Student Finance Calculator which can be found at https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Gerard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chiru_97)
    How do I know which loans I am suitable for?
    Hi,

This depends on your circumstances, for example, where you live and who you live with, for 2016/17 Student Finance will offer a Maintenance Loan to support living costs and a Tuition Fee Loan to pay your fees, you can attain a estimate of your support package by utilising our Student Finance Calculator, which can be found at www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Gerard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJEdwards)
    Hello, I'm applying to study BSc Occupational therapy as a mature student and have previously had a student loan plus a career development loan. I'm aware that students on NHS funded courses can normally apply for a reduced maintenance loan from SLC in addition to the NHS bursary but I'm not sure whether I will be eligible to do so, having already has a loan from SLC? I'm a bit concerned about how I will be able to cover my living costs without an additional loan.
    Hi,

This depends on your previous course and if this was NHS funded (or an equivalent level qualification), there would be no entitlement to further funding.

If your previous course was at a lower level or your new course is classed as an exceptions course then you would be entitled to a reduced rate maintenance loan. Check if your course is an exceptions course with your University/College.

Gerard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoevpearce)
    Hello, yesterday I got offered a place at University for the creative arts - Epsom campus
    Could you tell me if when I start my finance application whether this campus will come under the London weighting area
    Thank you
    Hi Zoe,

As this campus does not hold a London postcode it would not be designated for London funding.

To get an estimation of your entitlement for the 2016/17 academic year you can use our fantastic Student Finance Calculator, which can be found at www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Gerard

ReputationRep:
    How does the tuition fee loan and maintenance loan differ during a placement year compared to a normal year? For you were entitled to the full loan, would you still get that during placement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Random.guy)
    Hi I am a graduate planning on going into undergraduate dentistry (I have interviews with a few universities already). I did not take a student loan for my first degree and had to privately fund it (was not so bad at the time as it was only 3.5k at the time) as I was studying abroad as an expat so didn't qualify for the 3 years before uni starts at the time even though I am a british citizen. However, now that I have been living in the UK for 5+ years what funding would I be able to get from the SLC?

PS. I am on a normal 5 year undergrad course not the 4 year fast track graduate course.
    Hi there,

This depends on what your previous course was and what degree you attained. If you can reply with this information I can go into more detail.

Thanks,

Gerard

ReputationRep:
    in www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator when you enter your parents threshold is it just the highest earning parent or both combined?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brbrptz)
    Hello, I'm an italian girl and I've applied to some drama schools here in London.When I am supposed to ask for a loan? I don't know for sure if I will get in because there is an audition to go through, so I am a bit confused if asking now or just in the case that I will be accepted.What should I do then?Thanks for your time,hope to hearing soon from you
    Hi,

If you have been in the UK for 5+ Years, you may be entitled to the standard Student Support package, if you have not been in the UK for this length of time then you may be entitled to EU Support.

If you identify as an EU Student you can find more information at www.gov.uk/student-finance/eu-students we do not yet have a date for the launch of the EU application.

If you are applying for the Student Finance England support package then these applications are expected to become available early March.

Thanks.

Gerard

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.