The Student Room Group

Funding for NHS courses

If you're thinking of studying an NHS course, you can ask Kim and Darren your questions about student finance.

Kim works as a Policy Advisor for NHS Student Bursaries. She has more than 16 years' experience.

Darren has been a member of the NHS Student Bursaries Team since 2002. He’s responsible for producing training material and training staff.

They are here to answer your questions on a range of NHS funding, including eligibility, Practice Placement Expenses, Social Work Bursaries, NHS Bursary Scheme Rules and Policy, NHS Bursary assessment and award calculation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Student Money Week
If you're thinking of studying an NHS course, you can ask Kim and Darren your questions about student finance.

Kim works as a Policy Advisor for NHS Student Bursaries. She has more than 16 years' experience.

Darren has been a member of the NHS Student Bursaries Team since 2002. He’s responsible for producing training material and training staff.

They are here to answer your questions on a range of NHS funding, including eligibility, Practice Placement Expenses, Social Work Bursaries, NHS Bursary Scheme Rules and Policy, NHS Bursary assessment and award calculation.

Hey,

Is there any funding available to a a student studying Masters in Social Work - starting this Sept.
Reply 2
Hi
I am posting to find out if i would be entitled to any suppory from student finance england. I previously studied bsc hons adult nursing and received an nhs bursary and a reduced rate maintenance loan and i lived with my parents. I am now studying a bsc hons shortened midwifery course, of which my first degree was a course requirement and of which i am seconded for and is funded by nhs northwest. I now live with my fiance as of april 2015 and we both contribute to rent and living costs. I have taken a paycut to do this course and was receiving a loan but slc have now said i am entitled to nothing and have to pay it back as i am seconded, not entitled to a bursary and am studying a second degree that is of the equivalent level to my first. Reading online it seems others have gone through this, as have some of my classmates who have then got somr form of support. Its so annoying! Any help would ve greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 3
In the guardian I read that George Osborne is cutting off the nhs funding for nursing courses starting July 2017. Does this mean other health related will courses will not be funded for anymore as well? For example radiography? Please help. I really need to know
Reply 4
Studying at english university, in 4th year of medical school. Applied for intercalation between Year 4 - Year 5. What am I eligible for? both in terms of tuition fees and maintenance.

So far I have received the minimum loan of ~Β£3500 for maintenance each year. And tuition has been paid directly to my uni, ~Β£5500 of it as a grant (like it is for every welsh student) and ~Β£3500/year loan that I'll have to pay back.

What happens in the final year (5th year) of study of a medical degree? and what are the rules for intercalated year? when i applied i thought i would be doing a 5 year degree (not 6). I have heard that the NHS might pay towards something for every year after 4th year? is this just for tuition, if so what about maintenance?

Thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by Hna7
In the guardian I read that George Osborne is cutting off the nhs funding for nursing courses starting July 2017. Does this mean other health related will courses will not be funded for anymore as well? For example radiography? Please help. I really need to know

Just nursing is the affected courses... ATM who knows what else will get cut come next September..
Original post by carriewright_
Hey,

Is there any funding available to a a student studying Masters in Social Work - starting this Sept.

Hi
Social Work Bursaries are available for students named on the capping list at their university.
Further information on Social Work Bursaries is available on our website:
http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/825.aspx

Thank you

Darren
Original post by Clare1990
Hi
I am posting to find out if i would be entitled to any suppory from student finance england. I previously studied bsc hons adult nursing and received an nhs bursary and a reduced rate maintenance loan and i lived with my parents. I am now studying a bsc hons shortened midwifery course, of which my first degree was a course requirement and of which i am seconded for and is funded by nhs northwest. I now live with my fiance as of april 2015 and we both contribute to rent and living costs. I have taken a paycut to do this course and was receiving a loan but slc have now said i am entitled to nothing and have to pay it back as i am seconded, not entitled to a bursary and am studying a second degree that is of the equivalent level to my first. Reading online it seems others have gone through this, as have some of my classmates who have then got somr form of support. Its so annoying! Any help would ve greatly appreciated :smile:

Hi

Thank you for your query. I am very sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with slc funding, but unfortunately we can only advise on NHS bursaries in this forum.

You may be best contacting SLC directly to discuss your case, however normally seconded students are not entitled to any student funding such as the NHS Bursary, and I can only assume it is the same for student loans, as you are receiving a salary from your employer, which in most cases is higher than any student support you could receive.

There is another forum taking place today from 5.30pm called Are
you eligible for student finance?
- you may be able to find out more information then.

Sorry not to be able to assist

Kind regards

Kim
Original post by Hna7

Hi
NHS Student Bursaries for new students will cease from 01/08/2017 for nursing, midwifery and allied health professional courses, which includes Radiography.
More information on the Spending Review is available at the following link:
http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/5383.aspx

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you

Darren
Original post by tpxvs
Studying at english university, in 4th year of medical school. Applied for intercalation between Year 4 - Year 5. What am I eligible for? both in terms of tuition fees and maintenance.

So far I have received the minimum loan of ~Β£3500 for maintenance each year. And tuition has been paid directly to my uni, ~Β£5500 of it as a grant (like it is for every welsh student) and ~Β£3500/year loan that I'll have to pay back.

What happens in the final year (5th year) of study of a medical degree? and what are the rules for intercalated year? when i applied i thought i would be doing a 5 year degree (not 6). I have heard that the NHS might pay towards something for every year after 4th year? is this just for tuition, if so what about maintenance?

Thanks!

Hi, thanks for your query

NHS Bursaries are available to medical students from their 5th year of study. This may be earlier than course Year 5 as intercalation years are counted towards this. If you are undertaking an intercalation in 2016-17 and this will be your 5th year of study, providing you meet the NHS Bursary residency requirements, you would be able to apply for a non-means tested grant, payment of your tuition fee contribution and a means-tested bursary.

Further information is avaialable via the NHS Bursary 'Ask Us' Service, which provides answers to a huge range of questions about NHS Bursary funding. Have a look here . There is also further information on the NHS Student Bursary website

I hope you find this information helpful
Many thanks

Kim

Original post by Mike2882
Just nursing is the affected courses... ATM who knows what else will get cut come next September..

Hi
NHS Student Bursaries for new students will cease from 01/08/2017 for nursing but will also cease for midwifery and allied health professional courses.
More information on the Spending Review is available at the following link:
http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/5383.aspx

Thank you

Darren
Thanks Kim and Darren!

If you're looking for more information check out our other webchats or visit our student finance zone.