The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mametzwood
I was wondering how students find funding to study abroad, since the UK gov doesn't offer student loan unless they are studying at a UK uni. Courses in European unis can range from circa 3000 EUR to 30,000 EUR a year, so I was wondering what ways students can use to fund the costs. Do a lot of students just have very rich parents?

Hi mametzwood
You are correct that Student Finance from the UK Government is only available to students who study at a UK University. However if you study 1 year abroad as part of your degreein the UK you will receive funding from Student Finance to do so and the feesare considerably reduced to £1,350 for that year.

The UK Government have to offer support towards tuition fees to any student from another EU Member State if they study in the UK. This is because of an EU directive which meansthat anybody from the UK who wish to study in any other EU Member State wouldalso qualify for funding towards tuition fees from that country. This is for tuition fees only as no funding would beavailable towards living costs.

I hope that helps
Einire
��l2D�du
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by imaginedr4gons
I have currently started my first year at college in the UK studying psychology, sociology, law and politics. I have known for the majority of even my high school years that I want to study in a Swedish university and begin a life there. Of course, I have two years+ to go but to be able to live in Sweden this time in two years will honestly be a dream come true. My parents 100% support me already as they know my love for the country.

However, I'm not sure where to start and need a sense of direction. I have been researching universities, but as I'd be setting up a whole new life, I understand I will need to have funding for living costs eg taxes, rent, etc and insurance there too. There's a lot more to it than choosing a university here in the UK. I have set up a savings account at the start of this month and put all my wages into it which I plan to do with the majority of my pay (I get enough tips as a waitress to have that to spend on myself). As the time grows nearer, my parents are more than happy to help but I want to be as independent as possible financially with this process.

I'd like to mention that I speak Swedish already. I'm a completely self taught 16 year old (17 in two days). I have Swedish friends who have of course helped me a whole lot along the way. I do make mistakes as you'd imagine, but holding a conversation is not difficult anymore. I have not been to Sweden as of yet, but am awaiting for May to roll around for me and my parents to check it out. I understand it may be early to be considering universities as I have only just began college, but with it being abroad, I feel as though I need to be as prepared as possible. I'm terrified of leaving it too late and the chance of me studying in Sweden being impossible.

What are the most important things to consider when starting a process like this? I'm completely lost with where to start.

Hi imaginedr4gons

Are you looking at studying a complete degree in Sweden or are you looking at studying a degree in the UK and doing a proportion of your degree in Sweden?

If you are thinking of studying a degree in Sweden, there is no support from Student Finance to do so.However, the UK Government have to offer support towards tuition fees to anystudents from another EU Member State if they study in the UK. This isbecause of an EU directive which means that anybody from the UK who wish tostudy in any other EU Member State would also qualify for funding towardstuition fees from that country. This is fortuition fees only as no funding would be available towards living costs. So youcould check if the Swedish Government would give you funding towards tuitionfees. But you would have to self fund your living costs. A good place to startlooking is at the Swedish University websites and look at what courses theyoffer and get in touch with them.

If you were to study in the UK, you would qualify for funding from the UK to do so, including a Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan. A popular option is to undertake a period ofstudy elsewhere in the EU as part of the Erasmus scheme. This could be from aminimum of 3 months to a max of 12 months. You would need to do your research and find out if the Universities you were interested in studying had an Erasmus agreement with a Swedish university. Such info would be available on theuniversity website. There are Erasmus+ Grants available on top of your studentincome to do this.

I hope that helps
Einir
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lizmoo0721
I am looking to do a year abroad or two years at the University of British Columbia. How do students fund there studies?

Hi lizmoo0721
If you are thinking of studying a year abroad as part of your course, you could still receive funding from Student Finance. As long as the study abroad is part of your course here in the UK, you would be eligible for Student Finance as in other years of your course and the loan would be slightly higher at the overseas rate.

You could also be eligible for a Travel Grant. It covers reasonable travel expenses during an academic year. The first £303 of travel costs is disregarded, which means this is deducted from the amount of Travel Grant the student applies for. If eligible, you can claim for:

up to three return journeys between the UK and the overseas institution they are studying at during a full academic year abroad
the cost of a child/children’s fare between the UK and the overseas institution if it’s necessary for a lone parent who’s also a student to take them abroad
mandatory medical insurance, visas and medical expenses for the purpose of studying abroad

Your university might have a “Study Abroad” department that can provide you with further advice. They might even provide you a Bursaryt o go, so it’s worth getting in contact with them.
Thanks
Einirc3��d�
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by QuakeB
I have recently been accepted onto an exchange year with a partner institution in China. I've already changed my Student Finance England to study abroad status.

Does anyone have any knowledge about tuition fees, my university stated they can send what I apply for through SFE to the partner to pay for those fees. I have to foot 50% of my first semester myself for my visa to be processed, I'm just not clear if SFE will fund my tuition abroad for a year.

Hi QuakeB

This is something you need to check out with your university. Here at Cardiff University where I work, we have exchange agreements with overseas universities so students pay tuition fees to Cardiff University and not the partner university. For the students who then come to study at Cardiff we don’t charge them anything as they pay the partner university. It's usually how exchanges work. For someone studying abroad for a year, they are charged £1,350. I would advise you to check with a Money Adviser at your university for clarification.
Original post by fennec
Hi guys, :smile:
I want to study medicine in barcelona next year, i'm a 23 year old Italian girl living in London for 2 years so far

Whats the procedure step by step from uned to be enrolled to the uni?

Do i need to take the pau? When do i need to go to uned website and start with the requested documentation? All the deadlines?

Thank you

Hi fennec

Sorry but I can’t help you here as my specialty is with funding in the UK to study abroad as part of your course in the UK.You could try contacting your University in Barcelona for advice, I’m sure they will be able to help you.
Is there any extra financial support for students who are studying abroad in a particularly expensive country? The degree I want to do has a compulsory year abroad in Norway, cost of living is much higher there than in the UK or pretty much anywhere else in Europe.
Original post by Kay53
My names Kate. I'm starting an undergraduate course in university in September. I'm a mature student as well as a single mother.
I'm very interested in studying abroad for a semester in either Canada or the USA.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this with children? I have researched a lot into it and know that it is possible, but if anyone could share their experiences that would be amazing.
Thank you.

Hi Kate

From a Student Finance point of view, if you were to study abroad, you will still receive all of your means tested student funding while abroad. This includes the Parental Learning Allowance and Maintenance Loan. However you would not be eligible for the Childcare Grant while abroad for childcare costs incurred abroad because you have to use registered childcare providers in the UK.

Good luck!
Einir
Original post by jaxam
Hello!

I'm just about to start my second year at college doing a level 3 Btec in Marine biology & Ecology and looking towards university afterwards in the Zoology/ Animal behaviour departments.

Currently my main choices are penryn campus of university of Exeter, due to being able to stay at home and knowing the area, and Bangor univeristy. Since i have family nearby which can also cut down living costs. More recently with my joining time being where Grants will likely be scrapped (2016) I am now considering studying abroad.

I believe by moving away from the place I have always lived, it will force me to be more sociable and more engaging with others. However cost is a major factor, i have heard that some countries (Germany?) tend to Cover a lot of the cost for international students, which would be good to finally confirm.

Additionally besides English I know basic french but enough to ask for directions and help with. so countries with less emphasis on local language would be far better so i could interact easier. besides europe Canada and New Zealand have been places i have also really waned to visit. I'm probally not going to go Asian countries because i have been told that local language is a lot bigger aspect there.

Thanks for reading and any advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi jaxam

If you are thinking of studying a whole degree at an overseas institution, you will need to check with that institution what funding they offer to students from the UK. If you were to study in the EU, you would be eligible for funding towards tuition fees in line with what funding that member state offers to their own students. This is true for EU students who study in the UK. So for example if a country did not charge tuition fees to their own students, they couldn’t charge you fees. So any EU student studying in England can get a Tuition Fee Loan from Student Finance to pay their fees.However it would be veryunlikely that there would be funding towards your living costs. You can onlyget funding from Student Finance England to study a degree in the UK.

If you are looking to challenge yourself and spend some time abroad, it might be more affordable to do so as part of your degree in the UK. For example if you were to undertake a year Erasmus+ Traineeship or Study placement, your fees for the year would be £1,350 and on top of the Maintenance Loan you could also be eligible for an Erasmus+ grant.

If you were to go outside Europe the Erasmus Grant would not be available, but you could check with the universities you are interested in studying at whether they offer additional financial support for student to study overseas as part of their course.

I hope this is useful
Einir
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin
Is there any extra financial support for students who are studying abroad in a particularly expensive country? The degree I want to do has a compulsory year abroad in Norway, cost of living is much higher there than in the UK or pretty much anywhere else in Europe.

Hi Snufkin

The Maintenance Loan is slightly higher for students who are studying abroad in recognition of additional costs, but this is a standard amount regardless of which country you study at. It might be worth contacting the university that runs this course to find out if they provide additional support. Most universities have hardship funds and might be able to assist during the year abroad. Or there might be bursaries specifically for this course.

Contact a Money Adviser at the university to find out more.
Thanks to Einir for answering all the questions today!

If you missed today's chat or if you still have questions visit our student finance zone here on The Student Room!

Latest

Trending

Trending