Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Happy Black History Month! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

It is not a month of exceptionlism but a time of learning and reflection. It began as a week in the 1910s to remember and honor many black people who were written out of history.

Without this month devoted to learning about black contributions, sacrifices and accomplishments, kids (and ignorant adults) won't know a large part of history built on the backs of one of the most undervalued and mistreated groups of people in the modern and old world. Knowing black history is knowing history! Heightened awareness makes us ALL (black, white, brown, yellow, red) more enlightened and who doesn't want to be more enlightened? Knowing what blacks have done for this country would do wonders in eliminating the ignorance of racism.

ReputationRep:
    You are a bit early, it isn't until October.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    happy black history month

What about Islamic History month? Indian History month? Chinese History month? Latin American History month? Womens History month? Gay History month? Transgender History month? Transracial History month? Mixed-Race History month? Trans-species History month?

Damn, running out of months... we need more months in the calender!

ReputationRep:
    What about White History Month, amirite?

ReputationRep:
    wimmin's herstory ftw

ReputationRep:
    How about Gay history month?

ReputationRep:
    It should really be called African American Appreciation month tbh. I think Black history month is a very silly concept

ReputationRep:
    We should also perhaps have a 'Brown history month'. I mean, the Indian subcontinent did help a great deal during the Raj (oh, and curry). How about 'Pagan history month'? Picts, anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    You are a bit early, it isn't until October.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its Feb in the Americas, and Oct in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronda Rousey)
    Its Feb in the Americas, and Oct in the UK.
    .co.uk

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    What about Islamic History month? Indian History month? Chinese History month? Latin American History month? Womens History month? Gay History month? Transgender History month? Transracial History month? Mixed-Race History month? Trans-species History month?

Damn, running out of months... we need more months in the calender!
    Dont forget Slavic history month!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    How about Gay history month?
    no thanks, i'm tired of gays stuffing there **** in your face

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Satoshii)
    no thanks, i'm tired of gays stuffing there **** in your face
    you need to get off your knees then

ReputationRep:
    You posting this everywhere doesn't change that it's LGBTQ+ history month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    You posting this everywhere doesn't change that it's LGBTQ+ history month.
    Many Many Thanks

http://lgbthistorymonth.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    We should also perhaps have a 'Brown history month'
    I'm so glad this doesn't exist. I'd find it quite patronising if someone tried to relegate the contributions of my race to a single month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    I'm so glad this doesn't exist. I'd find it quite patronising if someone tried to relegate the contributions of my race to a single month.
    My point precisely.

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid concept. More of an insult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rakish patel)
    What a stupid concept. More of an insult.
    Not really, Black people had about a century wiped off so it's only fair we remind ourselves of the contributions they've made - pretty ignorant of you, im sure if your country was slaved for a century+ and you had a month dedicated to it, you wouldn't be saying that

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.