The Student Room Group

HEI Bursary payment?

Hi,

I get the full maintanence grant from student finance because of my parents financial position, however today I got an additional payment from the HEI bursary people (according to my statement), I haven't applied for any bursary so is this a mistake?

Is it a loan and do I need to pay it back?

Original post by jbrd
Hi,

I get the full maintanence grant from student finance because of my parents financial position, however today I got an additional payment from the HEI bursary people (according to my statement), I haven't applied for any bursary so is this a mistake?

As long as you tick the box when applying then your family income information gets shared with your university - so they'll automatically award you any bursaries/awards you're eligible for.

Bursaries are like grants...you don't repay them :smile:
Reply 2
Hey I'm in the same situation right now. Did everything work out and you were able to keep it in the end? I'm confused because I haven't applied to it and am scared, too, that it's a mistake.

Thank you xx
Reply 3
@jbrd
Original post by noraadele
Hey I'm in the same situation right now. Did everything work out and you were able to keep it in the end? I'm confused because I haven't applied to it and am scared, too, that it's a mistake.

Thank you xx
Reply 4
You don't apply for that they just give it you automatically and you don't pay bursarys back. If you tick the box saying share my information with my uni and you get the full loan then you automatically get any bursaries you qualify for x
Reply 5
Just curious- I got two bursary payments of £1500 last year over my first year, I’m now retaking, do I get those bursaries still? Do they carry on, or is it just for the first year or something? I checked my unis website but they don’t have a bursary like that you can apply for, so if it didn’t come from them I don’t know where it did.

Also v confused.
(edited 5 years ago)
I just found this post because I am trying to find out the exact same thing.. exact same situation. Following to find out !
I'm not sure if I did this, how do I verify if I ticked this box?
Original post by PencilDick
I'm not sure if I did this, how do I verify if I ticked this box?

Sfe has removed the tick box and just added the permission to share the information to the standard terms and conditions. If your parents provide their income information then your household income will be shared with your university for bursary payments to be issued
Reply 9
I'm an independent student and so they didn't ask for my parents income, yet I have still got the bursary... I'm not complaining though
Original post by tashac6
I'm an independent student and so they didn't ask for my parents income, yet I have still got the bursary... I'm not complaining though

If you’re independent then the same applies for your household income. It’s now part of the standard terms and conditions for this information to be shared for awarding bursaries
Original post by jbrd
Hi,

"HEI Bursary Payment" is the typical bank annotation for means assessed bursaries from Universities or Higher Education Institutions (HEIs). Most University's have a bursary like this as it is a condition of charging the full £9,250 tuition fee that they use some of their money to give back to students in need i.e. those who meet widening participation criteria like being from a "low household income".

E.g. Newcastle University's bursary is called the Opportunity Scholarship and all means tested students (if you're getting more than £4,524 then you've been means tested - either on your income or your parents') are automatically reviewed (the bursary team will look at the household income information provided to them from SFE - unless you have stipulated that you don't want them to share it with the University) and any student with an income under £35,000 gets £1,000 and any under £25,000 get £2,000. This is available for every year of study that a student is paying full fees (£9,250) and is funded by SFE (or SAAS, SFNI or SFW). So usually it won't be provided in years abroad, years in industry or years funded by the NHS like final year Medicine.

In most instances this is a bursary or grant and therefore is yours to keep and does not have to be repaid. You should check with your University to find out the criteria and any terms and conditions relevant to them. For example, some students can face problems with bursary payments being reclaimed by their University if they interrupt their studies and backdate it to an earlier point in the year. If you backdate a suspension, interruption or withdrawal to a date earlier than your last bursary payment, the University often has the right to claim this back and how and if they do so, will vary between institutions.

Definitely check with your University so you know what you're receiving as you may be due to get multiple payments each academic year.

Quick Reply

Latest