Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Voluntary work abroad Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am 22-years-old and I am interested in doing some voluntary work abroad at some point this year. I am wondering what the best organisations are to use and I would appreciate some links to them if possible.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bocicowo)
    Hi all,

I am 22-years-old and I am interested in doing some voluntary work abroad at some point this year. I am wondering what the best organisations are to use and I would appreciate some links to them if possible.

Thank you.
    GVI has a nice website that you might find useful:
    http://www.gvi.co.uk/volunteer-abroa...FUlmGwod2bkD5Q

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. You might wanna check out Diversity Abroad? Here is the link: http://www.diversityabroad.com/ hope to hear from you soon!

ReputationRep:
    I've a daughter and a son who volunteered abroad. Best thing we ever did as a family. Good luck on your endeavors!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16 and volunteering abroad in Ghana this summer with Projects abroad! Just type projects abroad into Google and their site will come up obviously!
    I am doing a short term special community project in Ghana where I will be spending 2 weeks working in an orphanage and helping to renovate a nearby school. They have loads of different projects and places to go to choose from and since the very beginning before you even sign up they are great for answering questions and keeping in touch!
    So far everything has gone really well with planning my trip and they help you out loads! When you sign up you get your own my projects abroad page which gives you everything you need to know about your project and the country your going to and you also get your own fundraising page set up by them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunshine love)
    I'm 16 and volunteering abroad in Ghana this summer with Projects abroad! Just type projects abroad into Google and their site will come up obviously!
    I am doing a short term special community project in Ghana where I will be spending 2 weeks working in an orphanage and helping to renovate a nearby school. They have loads of different projects and places to go to choose from and since the very beginning before you even sign up they are great for answering questions and keeping in touch!
    So far everything has gone really well with planning my trip and they help you out loads! When you sign up you get your own my projects abroad page which gives you everything you need to know about your project and the country your going to and you also get your own fundraising page set up by them.
    It is really amazing to know younger generations are into this kind of thing now Make a difference by helping other who needs help. You go Sunshine love

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bocicowo)
    Hi all,

Thank you.
    Hey, depends the kind of thing your looking for really. I volunteered in Sri Lanka on a mental health placement for 3 months a couple of years ago with SLV and it was amazing! You can go for less time if you want to (anywhere from 4 - 12 weeks) but even though it was hard and quite full-on, you could travel at the weekends to and Sri Lanka is such a beautiful island

Happy to answer any questions about it if that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elliemo27)
    Hey, depends the kind of thing your looking for really. I volunteered in Sri Lanka on a mental health placement for 3 months a couple of years ago with SLV and it was amazing! You can go for less time if you want to (anywhere from 4 - 12 weeks) but even though it was hard and quite full-on, you could travel at the weekends to and Sri Lanka is such a beautiful island

Happy to answer any questions about it if that helps!
    How was your stay? The accommodations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yourJeremyL)
    How was your stay? The accommodations?
    I loved it! The work during the week was a mixture of working in a psychiatric facility, working with people with special needs and teaching English in the community so it was hard work but I made some amazing friends out there that I still speak to know. We stayed with an amazing Sri Lankan family Mon-Fri with other volunteers, and they provided the breakfast and dinner for us all. I had quite a lot of volunteers in my home-stay (around 15), and I was sharing a room with two other girls. The weekends were for travelling around the island. Lots of hostels and hotels during the weekend but we could explore the beaches or cultural cities around Sri Lanka

ReputationRep:
    I have recently found out about an organisation called Workaway.
    You can choose from a vast array of countries and a whole lot of opportunities. It is basically an exchange between a host, a person who recruits volunteers, and the volunteer itself, who, for accommodation and meals, helps with whatever the host needs help with. Usually, you do not have to pay for the volunteering and accommodation, however you have to pay for flights etc. The volunteering work is usually 4/5/6 hours a day, a lot of it is done in the morning, so you have the evenings and the weekends to explore the country. This is also a good way to better your language skills.
    The only downside to this website is that you have to be at least 18 years old to be able to join and go on a volunteering trip I was looking forward to doing it this summer but as I am 17, I will not be able to which is a bit disappointing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.