Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Time to Talk Day 2016 (Thurs 4th Feb): let's talk about mental wellbeing! Watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    I've been told these things too. I was told in general, that people with mental health problems are more likely to hurt themselves than other people.
    And in terms of crime, be a victim of one rather than perpetrator.

ReputationRep:
    I missed this by a day

ReputationRep:
    I wrote similar post on another website but I hope that you guys can have a look at it and tell me what you think:

I sometimes feel that my illness is not a real suffering. Although it has ruined my life and given me white hairs lol, I sometimes think that having anxiety all the time and not leaving the house is not a problem compared to the fact that I know people who are dying of cancer and have children, or that people are dying in war-zones. I have a roof over my head and live in peaceful West London.

It could be much worse for me, my siblings and father have been sectioned at least once.
    I think I should be grateful but at the same time I feel so much pain and feel completely alone in it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    I wrote similar post on another website but I hope that you guys can have a look at it and tell me what you think:

I sometimes feel that my illness is not a real suffering. Although it has ruined my life and given me white hairs lol, I sometimes think that having anxiety all the time and not leaving the house is not a problem compared to the fact that I know people who are dying of cancer and have children, or that people are dying in war-zones. I have a roof over my head and live in peaceful West London.

It could be much worse for me, my siblings and father have been sectioned at least once.
    I think I should be grateful but at the same time I feel so much pain and feel completely alone in it.
    Awww, dw bout missing the thread yesterday! :hugs:

Regarding the above - the fact that other people suffer too, or may even suffer 'more' (though how on earth does one measure such things - you simply can't!!!)_does not negate your own suffering and mental torment. **** is ****, whether it's poverty or danger in a war-zone, or having a mental health problem in West London :yes:

:hugs:

(Original post by Excuse Me!)
    ^

Seem to have wrote a small book haha. I feel strongly on mental health though. Did my English Language coursework looking at fictional representations of Depression so definetly have an interest in it.
    Your English Language coursework sounds fascinating! :yep: Thanks for taking the time to write detailed responses. It is quite appalling the way that the person being bullied gets called a snitch and often gets into more trouble than the bullies, isn't it?

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    I've been told these things too. I was told in general, that people with mental health problems are more likely to hurt themselves than other people.
    Yeah I can't remember the stats off the top of my head but they def show that people with a mental illness are a greater danger to themselves, than to other people :sadnod:

(Original post by StrawbAri)
    No thank you for making this thread!

Yes I will definitely :yep:
    I'm also going to share my experiences on dealing with bi polar disorder and anxiety
    And I'd also like to start a discussion on how to get over the idea that talking about mental health issues is embarrassing and a burden to other people since this is something I struggle with.

I just need to get some revision done first

Edit: oops just realized Thursday's over :getmecoat:
    Don't worry I'll just post all of that stuff in the MH forum.
    Please do feel free to share everything you wanna write in this thread too - it would be great if the thread kept going beyond Time to Talk Day

(Original post by Liv1204)
    I can relate very much to this, but honestly would say please do consider being open about it. Not just because there can be issues further along the line if you then need time off, flexibility, etc and they argue that you haven't declared something, but also because they can be really good about it.

Although I realise it isn't that easy (I have had the same concerns), there are real advantages to being open. A lot of employers now work under the 'Two ticks' disability scheme, which means you are guaranteed an interview if you fit the basic application criteria and have declared a disability. It also means they can offer reasonable adjustments for you if necessary. I've just been offered a role in the Civil Service, and declaring mental health problems meant they offered an 'orientation session' prior to the interview to get to know the building and get used to it, extra time if necessary in the tests, there are all sorts of things they can suggest to help out.

But again, I can very much relate. Unfortunately there is still that concern about stigma and there is still that reality that in some cases it can lead wrongly to rejection, and it's so hard to get away from that when you're applying for jobs.
    Thanks for this response, I appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Thanks for reading, and for posting! Yeah, I think everyone could do with a bit of a reminder about mental health and wellbeing, what it means and how to get help if necessary.

I plan on talking about things I have learnt in my Youth Wellbeing Trainer course (it's accredited by Middlesex Uni and I've provisionally passed :awesome: ), like the Five Ways to Wellbeing research conducted by the New Economics Foundation, as well as mindfulness :yep:

Is there anything you can think of that it might be helpful to talkk about/address in this thread? If so, please don't hesitate to say! :hugs:
    just the ways to get out of downward spirals

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    I think it is the wrong attitude to take. Although I do recognize that I'm looking at the question from the "other" side.

I've been in a relationship for 8 years and have struggled with my mental health for around 9 years. Not gonna lie, it wasn't all plain sailing, we had a fair few problems along the way but we've now been married for 3 years and I think we have a generally great relationship. Sometimes I do things that scare her, or make her angry, usually relating to me wanting to come off the medication among other things but I really couldn't ask for a better relationship. She doesn't always understand, I think that would be impossible, but meetings with my psychiatrist and psychologist have helped her get a better idea about what I'm going through and how she can best help when appropriate. Erm...not entirely sure what you wanted but hopefully my ramblings might address something

If you have any questions; shoot.
    It's great that you've managed to power through all the difficulties and put the time and the effort into making a success of your relationship, in spite of mental health - I find that pretty admirable, as well as inspiring!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avpsy123)
    just the ways to get out of downward spirals
    Well different things work for different people but some things that I find that helps:

- Using my cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) techniques to break the spiral and remind myself that these are just thoughts and I don't have to have them/pay them any attention

- Contacting people and telling them that I'm feeling unwell and asking them to talk to me for a bit. Human contact helps me

- Having a Bad Days Box of nice things/messages from people/cards, to remind me that I'm a good person and don't deserve to be feeling like this

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Well different things work for different people but some things that I find that helps:

- Using my cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) techniques to break the spiral and remind myself that these are just thoughts and I don't have to have them/pay them any attention

- Contacting people and telling them that I'm feeling unwell and asking them to talk to me for a bit. Human contact helps me

- Having a Bad Days Box of nice things/messages from people/cards, to remind me that I'm a good person and don't deserve to be feeling like this

Keeping yourself busy. That's what I do. But I don't know whether others will be okay with this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Impressive)
    Keeping yourself busy. That's what I do. But I don't know whether others will be okay with this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think, depending on what the situation is exactly, that is very good advice! :yep:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

I like taking really hot showers. Especially putting my head under the shower-head so all I can hear is the rushing water.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lustawny)
    It's great that you've managed to power through all the difficulties and put the time and the effort into making a success of your relationship, in spite of mental health - I find that pretty admirable, as well as inspiring!
    Thanks, I'm glad that you found my post positive and hopefully you will be able to find your own girl/guy who is as understanding as mine
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I like taking really hot showers. Especially putting my head under the shower-head so all I can hear is the rushing water.
    Hot showers are VERY good for the soul :yep:

ReputationRep:
    ... what is thing make you don't give up? Allah (god) says (Say, "O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah . Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful
    ) (53) Az-Zumar (The Troops)

what your weapons against our problems ? How made a new your person? Everything that I experienced made me mature .. and I understand many things ... and become better at avoiding trouble that do not benefit them .. The more educated man and passed experiences make him able to understand life more ...what the good way you take it ..?
    Accompany the good guys .. and leave the companionship bad and hypocrites .. .. What is important is to follow the truth and not ashamed of it

The most important thing is the awareness of what chosen and what we do and get away from what we know that an error has disadvantages
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aboo-33)
    my English is not very good .. So I depend translate google ... If you can't understood tell me .. I will try to write clearly ...

I've been through conditions difficult in my life Childhood tough where I'm getting the words harsh and deadly for the same .. but my life changed for the better after he went to the area to classes ... have changed my life, because I when I was a small prevented me from Medm people authentication around me or talk to them .. I do not trust one me. . did not find one to advise me wisely if you mistype or help me .. and you are alone in the sense the word for this you hit some mental illnesses such as depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder, but no one thought the diagnosis of diseases for fear of scandal and ridicule people ... there is a saying in the cities .. in the sense of death is easier than madness important ... after high school, I met friends in the region, where it had relieved them of much healed some of my problems because of the psychological spectrum was the first time I feel that happiness has Cano think like me .... after three years of know them are beginning to vary due to the bad guys, mostly on the Climate ... but what tempered my suffering, I met with people who are not honest Zalo my friends so far ... including my teacher in college and is in her sixties and imported .. sometimes told her what bothers me Vtkhvv Me ... despite my need for friends and talking to him, I hate to pitied one of them for this not talking past of the one .. I do not want friends from the door of kindness or interest because it is a fake, as well as temporary .. but I want her friendship from the heart are those that help me more, and continue for many years ... what is the recipe, which kindled life in you? He says (Say, "O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah . Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful
    ) (53) Az-Zumar (The Troops) what your weapons against such circumstances? How forged a new your person? The strongest !! Everything that I went through made me mature .. and I understand many things ... and become better at avoiding trouble that do not benefit them .. The more educated man bittersweet experiences make him able to understand life more ... In what ways Sketoha so as not to take you to a life not ways Trdakm ..? Accompany the good guys .. and leave the companionship and bad hypocrites .. .. What is important is to follow the truth and not ashamed of it
    Hi,

Thanks for posting on my thread. It's possibly my fault for being so tired, but I am not too clear on what you are trying to say So it's hard for me to post a proper response

Hi,

Thanks for posting on my thread. It's possibly my fault for being so tired, but I am not too clear on what you are trying to say So it's hard for me to post a proper response
    This is the popular google translation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I updated my replay .. check again
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aboo-33)
    ... what is thing make you don't give up? Allah (god) says (Say, "O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah . Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful
    ) (53) Az-Zumar (The Troops)

what your weapons against our problems ? How made a new your person? Everything that I experienced made me mature .. and I understand many things ... and become better at avoiding trouble that do not benefit them .. The more educated man and passed experiences make him able to understand life more ...what the good way you take it ..?
    Accompany the good guys .. and leave the companionship bad and hypocrites .. .. What is important is to follow the truth and not ashamed of it

The most important thing is the awareness of what chosen and what we do and get away from what we know that an error has disadvantages
    Oh right, you want me to convert to Islam? I assumed that was what you were getting at first time round, but wasn't quite clear :ninja:

Well I'm very happy with Roman Catholicism, but thanks anyway

Oh right, you want me to convert to Islam?
    Some people. :facepalm:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Some people. :facepalm:
    I know, I'm so slow on the uptake, haha!

:getmecoat:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.