Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of doing a summer placement. I am in my first year I was just wondering if anyone has done a summer placement and what they gained from it. Also my degree has a placement year...did you spend a year in industry? Has it helped you get employment?

I am hoping to do a placement within ICT as my degree is computer related.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urbanlocations)
    I am thinking of doing a summer placement. I am in my first year I was just wondering if anyone has done a summer placement and what they gained from it. Also my degree has a placement year...did you spend a year in industry? Has it helped you get employment?

I am hoping to do a placement within ICT as my degree is computer related.
    Hello

I did work experience in the summer of my first year, and it was quite useful as the role involved a lot of IT skills (particularly Excel), was enjoyable and gave me a fair bit to talk about on applications. After the placement I did a bit more on Excel and took an online test to show that I was an intermediate at Excel, so that was quite useful.

I can't say much about a placement year as I'm starting mine this year (hopefully!) but you may find this thread useful.

ReputationRep:
    A placement is an excellent way of establishing a professional job reference (as long as you make a good impression!). Your uni can provide a reference which relates to your abilities as a student. However a reference resulting from a placement can comment on your qualities as a potential employee in a working environment. Always useful to have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Hello

I did work experience in the summer of my first year, and it was quite useful as the role involved a lot of IT skills (particularly Excel), was enjoyable and gave me a fair bit to talk about on applications. After the placement I did a bit more on Excel and took an online test to show that I was an intermediate at Excel, so that was quite useful.

I can't say much about a placement year as I'm starting mine this year (hopefully!) but you may find this thread useful.
    Thanks so much!! I shall start applying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    A placement is an excellent way of establishing a professional job reference (as long as you make a good impression!). Your uni can provide a reference which relates to your abilities as a student. However a reference resulting from a placement can comment on your qualities as a potential employee in a working environment. Always useful to have.
    I have just come back from a meeting with my careers advisor, she said I should start applying!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anita-573)
    I have a potential summer placement but the supervisor wants to call me and I'm worried it may be some sort of telephone interview as she hasnt told me what its about. It could be just providing more info but im not sure. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Whatever happens, you can't do any preparation for it. Just be yourself, be honest and see what happens. Be prepared for them to ask "Do you have any questions?" at the end - have one or two things noted down to ask them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.