Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is reproduction an ideology? Watch

Announcements
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    People have sometimes referred to sex as a religion (it's quite clearly not).

But rarely is reproduction talked about as a belief system in our society.

Firstly is it an ideology at all?

And if it is, has the 'Family International' got it right or wrong? And why?

My impression is that there is something missing from the brains of some people. But I can't put my finger on what.

WIKI extract: "TFI initially spread a message of salvation, apocalypticism, and spiritual "revolution and happiness" against the outside world, which the members called "the System". In 1976,[3] it began a method of evangelism called Flirty Fishing, using sex to "show God's love and mercy" and win converts."

ReputationRep:
    Anything can technically be an ideology.

I mean, I believe in reproduction of course... I owe my life to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    Anything can technically be an ideology.

I mean, I believe in reproduction of course... I owe my life to it.
    that's not what ideology means

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    People have sometimes referred to sex as a religion (it's quite clearly not).

But rarely is reproduction talked about as a belief system in our society.

Firstly is it an ideology at all?

And if it is, has the 'Family International' got it right or wrong? And why?

My impression is that there is something missing from the brains of some people. But I can't put my finger on what.

WIKI extract: "TFI initially spread a message of salvation, apocalypticism, and spiritual "revolution and happiness" against the outside world, which the members called "the System". In 1976,[3] it began a method of evangelism called Flirty Fishing, using sex to "show God's love and mercy" and win converts."
    No, its a natural process.

Do animals have the mental capacity to have an ideology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    that's not what ideology means
    I didn't attempt to define what ideology means, but thanks anyway.

The OP asked a nonsensical question, or at least a badly phrased one, and I answered firstly as best I could in the limited circumstances and secondly for fun.

Any set of beliefs could form an ideology.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    This started out as a facetious thread in response to the 'is meat an ideology?' thread.

However, some of the points raised so far have prompted further thought:

In my opinion, religion is an ideology and religion is propagated through reproduction and indoctrination - more often than not with rules that both advocate producing many offspring as required by God and also outlawing contraception and abortion.

In this context therefore, is reproduction an ideology?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.