Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Losing weight but gaining weight according to the scales? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping somebody with more knowledge in this kind of thing could help me!

Just over 2 weeks ago the doctor put me on a diet and recommended watching how many calories I'm eating, I decided to eat 1,200 calories a day along with exercise at the gym, I've lost 3-4 lbs since the diet and exercise started, however I weighted myself this morning to see that I've gained 2 lbs over night? I worked out at the gym and burned just under 400 calories to come home and see I've gained another 3 lbs according to the scales, this is very discouraging and I'm slightly confused?

I know my scales aren't broke because I asked my house mate, who uses them daily, to step on them and they seemed fine to her.

Does anybody have a clue what could be going on?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about your build but 1200 calories seems a bit too low.. And in regards to the weight-loss anomalies, this isn't abnormal. You can't expect to lose lb's per day, it's a slow process that requires months of dedication and hard work. Don't weigh yourself every night expecting a couple lbs less after every workout coz it's not gonna happen. Good rule of thumb is to check on your progress once or twice every two weeks and overtime if your training and diet are in check, you will see results.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, weight gain when you first start a weight loss program is a common symptom. What are your calculations that have resulted in your 1200kcal a day diet?

Weight loss is pretty inconsistent (but consistent over a long period of time-ish), so keep at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissyLouise95)
    I'm hoping somebody with more knowledge in this kind of thing could help me!

Just over 2 weeks ago the doctor put me on a diet and recommended watching how many calories I'm eating, I decided to eat 1,200 calories a day along with exercise at the gym, I've lost 3-4 lbs since the diet and exercise started, however I weighted myself this morning to see that I've gained 2 lbs over night? I worked out at the gym and burned just under 400 calories to come home and see I've gained another 3 lbs according to the scales, this is very discouraging and I'm slightly confused?

I know my scales aren't broke because I asked my house mate, who uses them daily, to step on them and they seemed fine to her.

Does anybody have a clue what could be going on?
    Firstly, what you are experiencing is perfectly normal and shouldn't put you off.The simple answer is that your day-to-day to weight will fluctuate wildly and to some extent you just have to accept that. The important to thing is to look at your weight change over large enough periods of time that these day-to-day fluctuations are smaller than the overall amounts of weight you are losing.

However, there are things you can do to limit this: weigh yourself in the same state every day. Ideally, first thing in the morning when you haven't eaten or drunk anything and after you've been to the loo. This will minimise the 'random' influence of physical weight of food, drink etc. you have consumed and expended throughout the day, and you should find your measurements are much more consistent.

I've attached a picture of my own weight for part of last year. As you can see I went through a couple of very obvious stages of both gaining and losing weight... but most importantly, if you look carefully you will see that during 'losing weight' periods I very often gained weight day-to-day; and during 'gaining weight' periods I very often lost weight day-to-day. The important thing is that when losing weight the losses outweigh the gains so overall you do get a downward trend

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 151
Size:  6.7 KB
    • Very Important Poster

Weigh your food so your calorie count has more chance of being accurate.
    Are you eating your exercise calories back? You should eat half of them and then adjust according to the scales over time.

Early weeks in dieting cna be misleading becayse it cna be water loss.
    Similarly its not uncommon o gain weight when you start a new exercise regime as you retain water.
    As pointed out above its importnat if weighing daily that you are looking for a reduction over time rather than the reading of any one day. Dont worry. If you keep up an accurate deficit, then you will lose, exercise helps a bit, but its mostly calorie intake. resistance training will help you retain muscle, thereby losing more fat.

1lb a week is quite good and the less you weigh plus closer to target then you need to be ready for that rate to slow down.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.