The Student Room Group
I have no knowledge of the law regarding this, but I don't see why this would be against the law. If you attend a school you have to follow the school's rules
They can not kidnap you and hold you against your will, if that's what you mean.

But if you're 18 and being given detention and you want to know if that's kidnapping, you probably should serve your detention and not be so childish.
They can't technically force anyone to stay at school against their will but your age certainly wouldn't affect it, just because you're 18 doesn't mean you can disregard the school's rules
no
Reply 5
They can't force anyone to stay if they want to, but failure to comply with school regulations would be considered reasonable grounds for suspension

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I'm not being childish i just wanted to find out, as technically speaking an 18 year old is an adult and you can express how you don't wish to attend
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Angie1998
I'm not being childish i just wanted to find out, as technically speaking an 18 year old is an adult and you can express how you don't wish to attend

well adults still go to prison...

Yes you could do that, but then they could suspend you and eventually expel you...
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
well adults still go to prison...

Fair point, I'm only wondering because the school is trying to put 30 people in detention for a very silly reason.
Pretty sure you sign the school's policy list or something , they won't force you to stay but prepare for the repercussions. Although who gives detention for 18 year olds , seems pointless.
Can a teacher make a 18 year old stay after school for a detention or is it against the law...?

You don't have any legal obligation to go but they have no legal obligation to allow you to stay in the school if you disobey their rules. If you don't go, don't complain about the consequences...
a 12 year old can say how they feel a refuse to go to a detention, the school will just follow through on it's behaviour policy in both situations and there will be more serious consequences, just suck it up and attend the detention
Fair point, I'm only wondering because the school is trying to put 30 people in detention for a very silly reason.

Why are they putting them in detention?
Reply 14
Original post by cakeislife
Why are they putting them in detention?

some forms weren't returned on time
Can a teacher make a 18 year old stay after school for a detention or is it against the law...?

No. Equally, nor is the school required to teach recalcitrant youths past the age of compulsory education; something you may wish to bear in mind before you find yourself sitting A-Level exams at your local academy as an external candidate, and paying for the privilege.
That seems a little harsh, normally we just get annoyed glares and have to face the scary lady who's in charge of them :tongue:

They can't force you to stay, but they're also perfectly within their rights to kick you out

So think about that
Reply 18
Education and Inspections Act 2006 Section 92 states: "Enforcement of disciplinary penalties: detention outside school sessions

(1)This section applies in relation to a disciplinary penalty which consists of the detention of a pupil outside school sessions.(2)In relation to a disciplinary penalty to which this section applies, subsection (2) of section 91 has effect as if it required the following additional conditions to be satisfied, as well as the conditions set out in subsections (3) to (5) of that section.(3)The additional conditions are—(a)that the pupil has not attained the age of 18 ..."

So no, a school cannot legally give anyone 18 or over a detention.

Latest

Trending

Trending