Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Change in colour of skin Watch

Announcements

Basically my whole family is very very light Indian brown colour and I used to be until the end of primary school too, when my tone changed into a very dark brown. I took no notice and continued to play lots of sports ect in the sun without any protection and now I'm 18 and fear my skin will never return to it's normal shade. Is it permanently like this now?
    The only thing that gives me hope is its just my face and neck, the rest of my body is the original colour.

My parents always wanted to take me to a doctor but it seems like soething so minor to go to them so I wouldn't want to waste their time but this is getting pretty serious now.
    I think the possible cause may be i never use to wear spf until 2 years ago, however my neck and face still hasn't returned to it's normal shade.

Any help very appreciated, what do I do?.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically my whole family is very very light Indian brown colour and I used to be until the end of primary school too, when my tone changed into a very dark brown. I took no notice and continued to play lots of sports ect in the sun without any protection and now I'm 18 and fear my skin will never return to it's normal shade. Is it permanently like this now?
    The only thing that gives me hope is its just my face and neck, the rest of my body is the original colour.

My parents always wanted to take me to a doctor but it seems like soething so minor to go to them so I wouldn't want to waste their time but this is getting pretty serious now.
    I think the possible cause may be i never use to wear spf until 2 years ago, however my neck and face still hasn't returned to it's normal shade.

If it's worrying you, there's no harm in going to the doctor, that's what they're there for but if it's not actually causing you any discomfort then I wouldn't worry too much, definitely speak to your go if you think there's a problem though

ReputationRep:
    I too suffered from an uneven skin tone for a long time.

I recommend putting lemon juice / milk on your face and neck daily for 2-4 weeks. It's a good way of getting rid of sun tan and restoring your natural skin tone.

I also recommend Fade Out night cream from Boots. When I went to Belgium I wore sunglasses and no sun screen so I got some pretty harsh tan lines on my face. This cream helped even my skin tone back to my original uniform colour.

Hope this helps!

(Original post by Blondie987)
    If it's worrying you, there's no harm in going to the doctor, that's what they're there for but if it's not actually causing you any discomfort then I wouldn't worry too much, definitely speak to your go if you think there's a problem though
    Thanks,
    It didn't really worry until about 2 years go but now I'm older I am very concious and would like it to be restored to my normal skin tone but am just scared its to late as its been like this for so long now. Or do you think there is still a chance it could be restored as the rest of my body is still normal?

why are you complaining
    dark brown Indians are my favourite

(Original post by Pineapplefridge)
    I too suffered from an uneven skin tone for a long time.

I recommend putting lemon juice / milk on your face and neck daily for 2-4 weeks. It's a good way of getting rid of sun tan and restoring your natural skin tone.

I also recommend Fade Out night cream from Boots. When I went to Belgium I wore sunglasses and no sun screen so I got some pretty harsh tan lines on my face. This cream helped even my skin tone back to my original uniform colour.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks will try that for sure!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks,
    It didn't really worry until about 2 years go but now I'm older I am very concious and would like it to be restored to my normal skin tone but am just scared its to late as its been like this for so long now. Or do you think there is still a chance it could be restored as the rest of my body is still normal?
    I wouldn't be able to tell you sorry, but your gp may be able to put you in contact with a dermatologist who can give you the information you need

why are you complaining
    dark brown Indians are my favourite
    Because I'm not talking just a minor difference here, my face and neck is a god 3-4 shades darker and It's been like this for to long now and when I look back at pictures I preferred it like it was. But you're right, if it was a natural change and my whole body was dark then no problem, but as it's just my neck and face I know it shouldn't be like that

Because I'm not talking just a minor difference here, my face and neck is a god 3-4 shades darker and It's been like this for to long now and when I look back at pictures I preferred it like it was. But you're right, if it was a natural change and my whole body was dark then no problem, but as it's just my neck and face I know it shouldn't be like that
    ok
    maybe buy some skin lightener from boots

ReputationRep:
    Is the basis of your concern rooted in medical reasons, or aesthetic?

If the former, I'd say go book a GP appointment. There are a number of hormonal, epigenetic and god knows what other reasons reasons why skin tone / hair texture / other physical traits can change as one grows. I'm sure most of the time these changes are natural and normal, however don't feel embarrassed to seek medical advice or think your concern isn't important; if it bothers you, check it out.

If the latter... sigh. I understand there are complex historical, cultural and personal reasons why one may have an affinity for lighter skin and I impart no judgement, but IMHO just embrace and be happy with your skin tone. I'm a black male, and I'm not going to give any tips on skin lightening or anything :')

Reading about the lengths that beautiful women all over the world go through to change their appearance honestly leaves me bewildered. Skin bleaching, eyelid surgery is a mahoooosive thing, rhinoplasty in SE asia, etc, etc

Inb4 "people can look/alter themselves however they want" - its pǝʞɔnɟ up.

(Original post by hi-zen-berg)
    Is the basis of your concern rooted in medical reasons, or aesthetic?

If the former, I'd say go book a GP appointment. There are a number of hormonal, epigenetic and god knows what other reasons reasons why skin tone / hair texture / other physical traits can change as one grows. I'm sure most of the time these changes are natural and normal, however don't feel embarrassed to seek medical advice or think your concern isn't important; if it bothers you, check it out.

If the latter... sigh. I understand there are complex historical, cultural and personal reasons why one may have an affinity for lighter skin and I impart no judgement, but IMHO just embrace and be happy with your skin tone. I'm a black male, and I'm not going to give any tips on skin lightening or anything :'

Reading about the lengths that beautiful women all over the world go through to change their appearance honestly leaves me bewildered. Skin bleaching, eyelid surgery is a mahoooosive thing, rhinoplasty in SE asia, etc, etc

Inb4 "people can look/alter themselves however they want" - its pǝʞɔnɟ up.
    Unfortunately it is for appearance as It's frustrating just looking at my normal tone everywhere apart from my face and neck, and its awkward as I'm a boy so i've never really bothered about it until now as I'm 18 so I'm very concious of it.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately it is for appearance as It's frustrating just looking at my normal tone everywhere apart from my face and neck, and its awkward as I'm a boy so i've never really bothered about it until now as I'm 18 so I'm very concious of it.
    You could consult private clinics on skin tone evening and stuff if it means a lot to you

Bro dont even mind me or what others think, if it makes you feel more confident, and its not super deeeeeep like you want to morph into a caucasian, then go for it and good luck! althought PERSONALLY i'd tend to the side of not caring a hoot and being happy with how i am.

its our flaws that make us

(Original post by hi-zen-berg)
    You could consult private clinics on skin tone evening and stuff if it means a lot to you

Bro dont even mind me or what others think, if it makes you feel more confident, and its not super deeeeeep like you want to morph into a caucasian, then go for it and good luck! althought PERSONALLY i'd tend to the side of not caring a hoot and being happy with how i am.

its our flaws that make us
    Thanks, yeah it is pretty important as I did look a lot better first and it kind of annoys me know as I have to wear long sleeves and stuff as I don't like people seeing the difference or they would think I just don't look after my face or something. Would the best thing be to see a go and then they refer me to clinic or dermatologist?

Thanks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.