Medical school crisis Watch

veryambitchious
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So, I'm in Year 12 at the moment studying 5 subjects which are all non-science like maths, history, psychology and languages. I was unable to do science A-levels due to me moving to this country right before the GCSE's started, thus being forced to do a year of pre-chosen subjects e.g. Maths and English. However, I am extremely passionate about doing medicine and have been doing all sorts of hospital work experience etc. and Realising Opportunities. Now I am expecting at least 3 A's at AS, and wanted to apply for the foundation year course, the only thing that is holding me back is the fact that I haven't done the double gcse science, only the core one since teachers couldn't be bothered to let me do the ISA. Now, finally, does anyone have a suggestion, besides the graduate entry for medicine, what I can do to enter medicine?

Thank you kindly
SashaF
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by veryam*****ious)
So, I'm in Year 12 at the moment studying 5 subjects which are all non-science like maths, history, psychology and languages. I was unable to do science A-levels due to me moving to this country right before the GCSE's started, thus being forced to do a year of pre-chosen subjects e.g. Maths and English. However, I am extremely passionate about doing medicine and have been doing all sorts of hospital work experience etc. and Realising Opportunities. Now I am expecting at least 3 A's at AS, and wanted to apply for the foundation year course, the only thing that is holding me back is the fact that I haven't done the double gcse science, only the core one since teachers couldn't be bothered to let me do the ISA. Now, finally, does anyone have a suggestion, besides the graduate entry for medicine, what I can do to enter medicine?

Thank you kindly
Foundation med. OR there must be a course where its med with a year extra because you have a non-science subjects. Dentistry have something similar.
troubadour.
Badges: 18
Report 3 years ago

Thank you kindly
The easiest way would be to do a GCSE in additional science (double science is the collective term for GCSEs in core and additional science) and then apply for foundation/preliminary year programmes. Still, you should know that foundation year programmes are usually very competitive (more so than the standard A100 course at the same university).

Graduate entry medicine should be treated as a last resort; it has all sorts of risks and expenses associated with it so it's best if you try for foundation year medicine first.
veryambitchious
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is there anything else besides double science gcse? I'm not ready to take a year off to do that...
troubadour.
Badges: 18
Report 3 years ago
Is there anything else besides double science gcse? I'm not ready to take a year off to do that...
All the other routes will require much longer than a year so, no, there aren't any better options.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (138)
18.13%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (77)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (130)
17.08%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (109)
14.32%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (76)
9.99%
How can I be the best version of myself? (231)
30.35%

Watched Threads