Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are MacBooks worth it? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I am a year 13 student going to uni next year to study English and History of Art. I currently have a HP which is on its last legs (it is getting old to be fair) and so I am beginning to look for a new laptop.

I have and iPhone and IPad which I use a lot for A-Level Art but I find it a pain to sync with my laptop as we all know how much Apple OS and Windows OS hate each other! which is the first reason why I considered the transfer to a Mac.

I know of many who have Macs and love them, but I personally know nothing about them so I thought I would ask you guys for some advice.

For uni all I want for a laptop is:
    For it to be light weight (even as a notebook my HP weighs a tonne)
    To have good storage (my current laptop has 8GB and I use external hardrives for backups)
    A decent size (notebooks are convenient but sometimes annoying to type long essays on, but not massive either
    Long battery life

I know macs have a bum load of other features but my focus will predominantly be on storing photographs, essays and other uni business.

Do you think I should go for it or invest in another HP?

Thank you!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I've had no problems syncing my ipod and ipad with my laptop, which is a lenovo. I personally wouldn't buy a macbook. I'd rather buy something else that's cheaper. You can pick up some decent laptops for a few hundred pounds now.

Are you sure your laptop only has 8GB storage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.Van-Ellison)
    Hi there!

I am a year 13 student going to uni next year to study English and History of Art. I currently have a HP which is on its last legs (it is getting old to be fair) and so I am beginning to look for a new laptop.

I have and iPhone and IPad which I use a lot for A-Level Art but I find it a pain to sync with my laptop as we all know how much Apple OS and Windows OS hate each other! which is the first reason why I considered the transfer to a Mac.

I know of many who have Macs and love them, but I personally know nothing about them so I thought I would ask you guys for some advice.

To have good storage (my current laptop has 8GB and I use external hardrives for backups)
    A decent size (notebooks are convenient but sometimes annoying to type long essays on, but not massive either
    Long battery life

I know macs have a bum load of other features but my focus will predominantly be on storing photographs, essays and other uni business.

Thank you!
    Go for it - they're definitely worth it. Their speed is unparalleled. My macbook lasts me around 10 hours per day with 10% left usually. You might want to get a 256 GB SSD though.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

Long battery life

Thank you!
    100% worth it - mine is about 4 years old and I have never had any problems with it - I have a MacBook Air - which fits inside my handbag. It is lightweight, tiny and brilliant - worth every penny

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

Long battery life

Thank you!
    If you have key apple products already, it makes sense to get a macbook, and for the stuff you want to do you dont need something high spec.

Though on their own no Apple product is worth it. For any of their products you choose, you can always find a better spec product for cheaper.

The reason they're so popular is because of Apple's intense marketing & also gullible affectatious consumers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.