The Student Room Group

Any point in going on an Applicant Invitation Day?

Hey all. So I got an offer for Lancaster Uni, and as part of that they invited me to go to an Applicant Day. However, recently I received the itinerary for the day, and have become confused. The issue is, it seems that the content of the day is very similar to that of the Open Day back in September (so for example, since I want to do a History/English dual honours, there'll be an English talk; except I've already been to an English talk explaining the course at the Open Day!).

I suppose my question is, to people who have been to these Applicant Invite Days in the past, are they any different to Open Days? Will I miss any useful information if I choose not to go.

Thanks, and have a good day :smile:
Original post by TheSecretSoviet
Hey all. So I got an offer for Lancaster Uni, and as part of that they invited me to go to an Applicant Day. However, recently I received the itinerary for the day, and have become confused. The issue is, it seems that the content of the day is very similar to that of the Open Day back in September (so for example, since I want to do a History/English dual honours, there'll be an English talk; except I've already been to an English talk explaining the course at the Open Day!).

I suppose my question is, to people who have been to these Applicant Invite Days in the past, are they any different to Open Days? Will I miss any useful information if I choose not to go.

Thanks, and have a good day :smile:

The point of these applicant days is to allow you to find out more about the course and uni, in the hope that you will like what you see and be persuaded to firm that uni.

If you have already been along to an open day, and feel that you have enough information to make an informed decision about whether or not you want to go there, then there's no need to go along unless you want to.
It might be different content - open day talks are aimed at people trying to decide on courses and universities to apply to and also aimed at parents.

An applicant specific day will sometimes be more detailed and specific and give you more opportunities to speak to current students and staff as well as fellow applicants (ie your future coursemates if you all end up going in autumn).

You can always ring the department and ask them if the content is likely to be much different.
Reply 3
Hello,

I would recommend going to the applicant day, I went to one at UCLan last week and it confirmed my choice of university. I found that there were a lot less people there than in the open days so you get more of a one to one with lecturers and you can find out more information this way.
I got more detailed information, and also met a few people who will likely be on my course next year too (although there were only 5 other people there for my course talk/practical!)
I also got a better look around the accommodation and library than would be possible on an open day because they are so busy. Plus a private tour around the campus from a current student!
So basically I really recommend going on the applicant day.
if it is still somewhere you are still considering then you have nothing to lose by attending. if you have decided you don't want to go there it is pointless

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending