Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam1357)
    Are you going to send your degree transcript in to them ? I agree there isn't much info out about the course. I'm going to have to sort accomodation when I find out where placement is. But I will live where placement is and commute to Sheffield probably
    yeah I got an email to say I need to email my transcripts as soon as I get them. Hopefully we will find out soon where our placement is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megan2094)
    yeah I got an email to say I need to email my transcripts as soon as I get them. Hopefully we will find out soon where our placement is
    Oh i didn't get an email like that . What actual information have you received at this stage? , this is where I miss ucas! Haha at least we knew where we stood

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay that makes sense which degree are you doing at the moment? Yeah I think so are you? I'm not sure what I'd do though if i was in hull though that's why I'd prefer to be in Leeds.
    I am doing Biology but as of yesterday I've finished! How about yourself? Yeah I think so too! If I did get Hull I think I would commute from Sheffield, would be a long day but do-able. I really hope they let us know sooner than they have to previous years students D:

ReputationRep:
    haha I know I'm just getting my exams out of the way and then I will go on a search for information , I know there's a couple of pre course days in September . And definitely living where placement is ideally I'd get short term lets for both but all contracts seem to be a year long
    Good luck with them! I had my last one yesterday, such a relief! Yeah I got an email through today about them I think. That sounds like a good plan, I reckon I will be doing the same! I was thinking of staying in Airbnb type places when we're at university. The course coordinator said we're not in everyday during the university weeks anyway so would only have to stay there a couple of times a week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosie31795)
    Good luck with them! I had my last one yesterday, such a relief! Yeah I got an email through today about them I think. That sounds like a good plan, I reckon I will be doing the same! I was thinking of staying in Airbnb type places when we're at university. The course coordinator said we're not in everyday during the university weeks anyway so would only have to stay there a couple of times a week
    Hi, have you heard anything more ?

ReputationRep:
    Hi , have you had any updates ? No idea what's going on haha

ReputationRep:
    Hey all
    So I've had an offer from SHU and I ended up choosing Middlesbrough and Hull as my choices.
    I wasn't really expecting to choose on selection day but when I interviewed they said how wonderful Middlesbrough is so I chose that but now I'm not sure. Everyone seems to me choosing Leeds?
    Does anyone know about any of the hospital sites?

Also, has anyone applied elsewhere? I have been offered an interview with Liverpool and Bristol but I really can't decide which to choose if it miraculously ended up with me being offered a choice between the three! Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by begumn)
    Hey all
    So I've had an offer from SHU and I ended up choosing Middlesbrough and Hull as my choices.
    I wasn't really expecting to choose on selection day but when I interviewed they said how wonderful Middlesbrough is so I chose that but now I'm not sure. Everyone seems to me choosing Leeds?
    Does anyone know about any of the hospital sites?

Also, has anyone applied elsewhere? I have been offered an interview with Liverpool and Bristol but I really can't decide which to choose if it miraculously ended up with me being offered a choice between the three! Any tips?
    People will probably choose Leeds as it's the biggest city and probably largest cancer centre out of the choices . There will be benefits to the smaller radiotherapy centres though , and I'm sure they will all have the general machines

I've only applied at Sheffield , should of probably applied for a back up but ah well. I think the UWE postgrad course only started recently but Bristol is one of my favourite cities. Uni of Liverpool is overall highly regarded but that doesn't matter much in this case - all the courses end with hcpc registration . I don't know enough to compare in depth differences between the 3 though

ReputationRep:
    Hi, have you heard anything more ?
    Not too much other than about the induction day on the 1st! I have been told that they have verbal confirmation of the bursary, but still waiting on written but it's unlikely to change have you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosie31795)
    Not too much other than about the induction day on the 1st! I have been tou
    ld that they have verbal confirmation of the bursary, but still waiting on written but it's unlikely to change have you?
    Yeah I'm in the process of filling in the vaccination history and stuff , finding it hard to figure out which ones I've had and on which specific dates , had to pay the surgery to search my medical records :0 . Yes That's really good news do you know if it's the same amount as last year?

ReputationRep:
    Hey have people booked in for the pre course day on 1st September ?

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I'm currently on the PgDip course at SHU just coming to the end of the first year :-) If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

Sara

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarayak)
    Hey everyone,

I'm currently on the PgDip course at SHU just coming to the end of the first year :-) If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

Sara
    Hey hope you are enjoying it ! I do have quite a few questions haha

When did you find out about placementand funding and do people live where the placement is or at Sheffield or both ? I'm thinking of trying to get short term let's in both. But obviously all depends on the amount of funding.

How many days a week are you in during academic and are the lectures mixed with BSc students ? How many people are on the PgDip course?

Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam1444567)
    Hey hope you are enjoying it ! I do have quite a few questions haha

When did you find out about placementand funding and do people live where the placement is or at Sheffield or both ? I'm thinking of trying to get short term let's in both. But obviously all depends on the amount of funding.

How many days a week are you in during academic and are the lectures mixed with BSc students ? How many people are on the PgDip course?

Thankyou
    Hey,

So we found out about funding on the 'induction week' of the course, it wasn't ideal, but funding is such an awkward thing at the moment, if I were you, I'd plan for no funding (they'll pay your course fees) and anything you get on top of that is a bonus.... You also find out about placement site in the induction week, unless you do what a couple of people did and just consistently pester them to see if they've placed you yet!

Accommodation wise, you spend the LARGE MAJORITY at your placement site.... my timetable for the year includes (for first year): *9 weeks academic (split between before xmas and after), 27 weeks placement and the rest is holiday/study weeks.
    So I'd recommend sorting accommodation for your placement as more of a priority, a few people here look for peoples houses to share short term or something like that... to be honest, my placement is in Sheffield so I'm a bit different, but for further afield, people are either staying short term in sheff or commuting (which is very achievable).

On our PgDip year there are 15 people (5 at Sheff, 5 at Leeds, 3 at Newcastle can't remember the rest haha)... in the lectures before xmas you share the anatomy lectures with the BSc group but that is it (so you have 4-6 hours a week with BSc before xmas then no more). Unfortunately academic is pretty full time, you tend to have 2-4 hour gaps in the day which is a bit annoying, but timetabling is hard for them I think. You generally finish at 4 or 5, very infrequently we have finished at 6 or 7... but really not often.*

Hope that helps!*

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

So we found out about funding on the 'induction week' of the course, it wasn't ideal, but funding is such an awkward thing at the moment, if I were you, I'd plan for no funding (they'll pay your course fees) and anything you get on top of that is a bonus.... You also find out about placement site in the induction week, unless you do what a couple of people did and just consistently pester them to see if they've placed you yet!

Accommodation wise, you spend the LARGE MAJORITY at your placement site.... my timetable for the year includes (for first year): *9 weeks academic (split between before xmas and after), 27 weeks placement and the rest is holiday/study weeks.
    So I'd recommend sorting accommodation for your placement as more of a priority, a few people here look for peoples houses to share short term or something like that... to be honest, my placement is in Sheffield so I'm a bit different, but for further afield, people are either staying short term in sheff or commuting (which is very achievable).

On our PgDip year there are 15 people (5 at Sheff, 5 at Leeds, 3 at Newcastle can't remember the rest haha)... in the lectures before xmas you share the anatomy lectures with the BSc group but that is it (so you have 4-6 hours a week with BSc before xmas then no more). Unfortunately academic is pretty full time, you tend to have 2-4 hour gaps in the day which is a bit annoying, but timetabling is hard for them I think. You generally finish at 4 or 5, very infrequently we have finished at 6 or 7... but really not often.*

Hope that helps!*
    Thanks that was really helpful! Just another thing do you know if the hospital sites offer placement accommodation? Im finding accommodation really stressful atm I'm looking into air bnb to try sort something in Sheffield but other than that can't do anything as I don't know where the placement site is.

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that was really helpful! Just another thing do you know if the hospital sites offer placement accommodation? Im finding accommodation really stressful atm I'm looking into air bnb to try sort something in Sheffield but other than that can't do anything as I don't know where the placement site is.

Thanks again

I wouldn't over worry about accommodation until you definitely know where you're going to be placed. You're only on placement before xmas for 4 weeks and then not on placement until Feb time, so if you don't find somewhere, you've still got a lot of time before the proper long placement blocks start. I'm not sure which hospitals have accommodation, I know a few do but you may be best looking on their websites or contacting someone at SHU :-)
    Where do you want your placement to be just out of interest?*

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't over worry about accommodation until you definitely know where you're going to be placed. You're only on placement before xmas for 4 weeks and then not on placement until Feb time, so if you don't find somewhere, you've still got a lot of time before the proper long placement blocks start. I'm not sure which hospitals have accommodation, I know a few do but you may be best looking on their websites or contacting someone at SHU :-)
    Where do you want your placement to be just out of interest?*
    Oh that's worth knowing then , so I might get a place in Sheffield September - February and then move to my placement area after February. I put down Newcastle and Leeds , but obviously Newcastle isn't commutable from sheff realistically haha.

Can you remember approx when that 4 week placement started? I'm really looking forward to starting - hope you are enjoying it ?

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's worth knowing then , so I might get a place in Sheffield September - February and then move to my placement area after February. I put down Newcastle and Leeds , but obviously Newcastle isn't commutable from sheff realistically haha.

Can you remember approx when that 4 week placement started? I'm really looking forward to starting - hope you are enjoying it ?
    I don't think I'm explaining it right haha... so I've found a way to attach our academic/clinical calendar which may make more sense... you wouldn't need a place in Sheffield for the whole sept-feb time, I'm not sure what the dates would be like for next year but hopefully this calendar is a helpful guide!

I am enjoying it, there are peaks and troughs of busy-ness, for example I have 3 weeks off now and nothing to do really, but there have been times where there are multiple things to do and it can be a wee bit stressful! Also, I don't think (don't quote me here) that anyone didn't get their first placement choice... Newcastle especially isn't as popular as Sheffield or Leeds (just because of geography) so if you put that down as your first choice then I reckon 90% chance of getting it :-D
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx PgD Academic Calendar 15_16(1).docx (25.6 KB, 64 views)

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'm explaining it right haha... so I've found a way to attach our academic/clinical calendar which may make more sense... you wouldn't need a place in Sheffield for the whole sept-feb time, I'm not sure what the dates would be like for next year but hopefully this calendar is a helpful guide!

I am enjoying it, there are peaks and troughs of busy-ness, for example I have 3 weeks off now and nothing to do really, but there have been times where there are multiple things to do and it can be a wee bit stressful! Also, I don't think (don't quote me here) that anyone didn't get their first placement choice... Newcastle especially isn't as popular as Sheffield or Leeds (just because of geography) so if you put that down as your first choice then I reckon 90% chance of getting it :-D
    Thanks for that yeah I'm just thinking I'll have to have somewhere in Sheffield for the start of the course because I can't commute from home. Haha I wasn't expecting it to be an easy one , I guess it's a bit of a fast track course seems pretty full !

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

Sara
    Hey Sara,

You've answered most of my questions in you previous posts; really helpful! I was also wondering how many days you are in during academic weeks? Is it usually everyday? Or are most lectures on the same day and there's a chance of being able to go home Thursday-Sunday or Saturday-Monday for example? And also are you enjoying the course??

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.