The Student Room Group

PGDip Radiotherapy Liverpool /Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rosie31795
Hey Sara,

You've answered most of my questions in you previous posts; really helpful! I was also wondering how many days you are in during academic weeks? Is it usually everyday? Or are most lectures on the same day and there's a chance of being able to go home Thursday-Sunday or Saturday-Monday for example? And also are you enjoying the course??

Thanks

Hey Rosie,

Sorry I didn't see your post until now!
During academic they did say* that they wanted to try and give us a day off per week, but in reality we were in pretty much 9-5 5 days a week (with breaks during the day rather than all in one day), which was a shame, but to be honest the blocks really didn't feel very long so it's all good :-)
I am enjoying the course yes, there is a lot more essay-writing than I thought there would be... and it's not my strong point hahaha but I think I prefer that to exams (of which you have 1 anatomy one after xmas). I prefer clinical placement to academic which is good considering it'll be our jobs before we know it!

Sara*
Original post by sarayak
Hey Rosie,

Sorry I didn't see your post until now!
During academic they did say* that they wanted to try and give us a day off per week, but in reality we were in pretty much 9-5 5 days a week (with breaks during the day rather than all in one day), which was a shame, but to be honest the blocks really didn't feel very long so it's all good :-)
I am enjoying the course yes, there is a lot more essay-writing than I thought there would be... and it's not my strong point hahaha but I think I prefer that to exams (of which you have 1 anatomy one after xmas). I prefer clinical placement to academic which is good considering it'll be our jobs before we know it!

Sara*

Ah, that's not too bad then if it goes quickly! Glad you're enjoying it, I'm pretty excited to start now! I know it was a bit ago, but can you remember what you did during the induction day? Were you just in for the day or were you needed in uni for the week? :smile:
Hey, did anyone else receive their placement allocation today . I got Newcastle, anyone else get the same ?:smile:
Reply 43
Hi
I'm thinking if applying for the PgDip in radiotherapy in Sheffield next year. I need to get some care experience before I apply. Can anyone tell me what they did? My time is rather limited as I'm a more mature student and I have a young family but need to get some relevant experience. I hope some reads this who can help

Amy
Original post by Lund29
Hi
I'm thinking if applying for the PgDip in radiotherapy in Sheffield next year. I need to get some care experience before I apply. Can anyone tell me what they did? My time is rather limited as I'm a more mature student and I have a young family but need to get some relevant experience. I hope some reads this who can help

Amy

Hey Amy,

I worked for 6 weeks last summer for a charity that run summer camps for young people with severe disabilities. So my role was a play worker and general carer whilst the children were with us for the day. I've also done various work in primary and secondary schools over the last couple of years. So tbh I didn't do bags and bags of stuff. If you're tied up with family, you could do something once a week rather than in a block of time. Maybe volunteering in a hospice or retirement home? Make sure you visit a radiotherapy department also so you have lots to discuss in interview! I also didn't apply for the course until Feb of this year, and the last selection event isn't until around April, so I would say there is plenty of time for you to get some experience :smile:
Reply 45
Rosie,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to get some experience in a nursing home I think.

Amy

Original post by Rosie31795
Hey Amy,

I worked for 6 weeks last summer for a charity that run summer camps for young people with severe disabilities. So my role was a play worker and general carer whilst the children were with us for the day. I've also done various work in primary and secondary schools over the last couple of years. So tbh I didn't do bags and bags of stuff. If you're tied up with family, you could do something once a week rather than in a block of time. Maybe volunteering in a hospice or retirement home? Make sure you visit a radiotherapy department also so you have lots to discuss in interview! I also didn't apply for the course until Feb of this year, and the last selection event isn't until around April, so I would say there is plenty of time for you to get some experience :smile:
Original post by sarayak
Hey everyone,

I'm currently on the PgDip course at SHU just coming to the end of the first year :-) If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

Sara

Hi there, what work experience did you have prior to applying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending