Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

So next year (2nd year) of university I get to pick an unrestricted module (any module I want from any department apart from those that are full) and I am unsure what to pick, everything I originally wanted to pick is full, but I came across languages, and I've always wanted to learn German however I've never tried learning a new language apart from my native one. So I am not sure if I will be able to do it, especially in my 20s as I heard it's easier to learn them when you're younger.

How difficult is it to learn a new language?
    Is it worth the risk taking it alongside my degree when in 2nd year it counts?
    How difficult is german to learn?

I really want to learn German wanted to pick it at GCSE however my school didn't offer languages and now I have the chance to learn it but I am not sure whether it will be too difficult picking up a new language especially alongside my degree.

Any advice please
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breakingbank)
    Hey,

So next year (2nd year) of university I get to pick an unrestricted module (any module I want from any department apart from those that are full) and I am unsure what to pick, everything I originally wanted to pick is full, but I came across languages, and I've always wanted to learn German however I've never tried learning a new language apart from my native one. So I am not sure if I will be able to do it, especially in my 20s as I heard it's easier to learn them when you're younger.

How difficult is it to learn a new language?
    Is it worth the risk taking it alongside my degree when in 2nd year it counts?
    How difficult is german to learn?

I really want to learn German wanted to pick it at GCSE however my school didn't offer languages and now I have the chance to learn it but I am not sure whether it will be too difficult picking up a new language especially alongside my degree.

Any advice please
    Hi,.

For native English speakers German is considered reasonably easy to learn, though harder than languages like French or Italian, for example. It isn't a big risk at all as the standard expected of you won't be enormously high and if people your age were constantly doing badly they would stop allowing people to choose these modules. It sounds like you want to do it but are talking yourself out of it. If it were me I would take the module. If you don't like it or find it hard going then you can persevere until the end of the module (a skill in itself), but know that you don't want to continue learning in the future - which is fine. You will definitely need to be consistent with your learning though as it is very hard to blag having learned a language.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    If it was me, I wouldn't risk degree grades for something that you could do at any point in your life. Is there a reason why you think you might not do well in it? Have you studied and succeeded with other languages before? If you've done well in, say, French, there's no reason why you would necessarily be bad at German. But if there are other modules which look interesting and which make you feel more confident, I'd go for one of those. I prioritised my grades over pretty much everything and fitted in as many of the "nice to haves" as I could, around that work. That's just me though

My uni library had a section filled with teach-yourself language courses, with subscriptions to more online. They were available to all students/staff for free and could be studied at your own pace. Might be worth looking for that sort of thing where you are, as an alternative?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about German in particular, but I've been studying Japanese since the first year as an optional module. It was my second language so kind of cheating, but in my class you can really tell the difference between someone who puts some time into practicing outside of lessons and someone who does the bare minimum or hardly anything.

These things do require some time to practice, listen, read, write, possibly speak but there's only so much you need to do, especially if you're doing a beginner's class - they don't expect you to be perfect!

If you do choose to study it, it might be a fun break from your other lectures, a chance to make some friends and ultimately a useful skill to have.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.