The Student Room Group

Spanish AS Level

This thread is aimed at those who have done Spanish AS level.

I am planning on taking this next year, along with Maths, FM, Chemistry and Physics/Biology.
I have some questions about it: (Please could you advise me on this choice)
Is it common to get an A at AS Level?
Is a high percentage achievable?
Is the speaking exam very difficult? Is the writing exam very difficult?
Will it be very stressful?
Is it a worthwhile/beneficial qualification?

Importantly, is there any coursework involved at AS Level?

Anyone who can answer these questions I will show a lot of a gratitude. Thank you a lot in advance.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown:

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses. :redface:

:h:
Original post by Ishan_2000

I am planning on taking this next year, along with Maths, FM, Chemistry and Physics/Biology.

Anyone who can answer these questions I will show a lot of a gratitude. Thank you a lot in advance.

At the moment i am doing the AS OCR Spanish course and i am coping very well. Yes where i am from lots of people get A's in Spanish. If you got an A* in GCSE and can understand the language you will be fine. To pass the exam you will need to get 82 out of 140 which is a lot when you think about it but the exam is very easy and some questions are multiple choice. I am planning my speaking exam right now and it looks pretty easy. It is 15 minutes but for 8 minutes you need to talk about your chosen discussion (I chose tourism and leisure in Spain) and for 7 minutes will have a discussion about an article that is presented to you on the day. I haven't found it too stressful. For me my other AS's (biology and English lang) are way more stressful. Yes Spanish is a very looked up course and some universities find it beneficial that you can speak another language not alone having to have done it at A-level. Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Linden Cornelio
At the moment i am doing the AS OCR Spanish course and i am coping very well. Yes where i am from lots of people get A's in Spanish. If you got an A* in GCSE and can understand the language you will be fine. To pass the exam you will need to get 82 out of 140 which is a lot when you think about it but the exam is very easy and some questions are multiple choice. I am planning my speaking exam right now and it looks pretty easy. It is 15 minutes but for 8 minutes you need to talk about your chosen discussion (I chose tourism and leisure in Spain) and for 7 minutes will have a discussion about an article that is presented to you on the day. I haven't found it too stressful. For me my other AS's (biology and English lang) are way more stressful. Yes Spanish is a very looked up course and some universities find it beneficial that you can speak another language not alone having to have done it at A-level. Hope this helps :smile:

Very helpful response. Thanks for answering!

I have decided to do Spanish at AS level, so we'll so how it goes then.

Hey I see you've already decided to take the AS level - but I thought I'd still answer some of your questions anyway - as I take very similar subjects to you. I take Maths, FM, Chem, Bio and Spanish.
1 - My teacher said it's very common for people to get A's at AS level, but an A* at A2 is a lot harder to achieve, and even some of the spanish people in our school have ended up with As, but you don't have to worry about that if you only want to take it to AS level.
2 - In the work we've been doing so far, I have found a clear jump up from GCSE work, but you come to find a pattern with exam papers and how best to answer them, and although we've not had our mocks yet so I haven't done a full paper all together, I've reached a stage where I am getting quite a few of the questions right. I think if you got a high a/a* at GCSE and you're willing to put the work in, then there's no reason that high marks are not achievable.
3 - I'll be honest, up to now the speaking exam had been the being of my life - we practice speaking with a spanish assistant every week, although I was completely fine in GCSE, I suddenly started to feel very conscious of not being good enough. However, half a year has passed and my confidence has increased incredibly up to the point that I'm getting As in the practice speaking exams we do every week - so I guess that's a little advice - if you're teachers are good they'll teach you how to deal with each exam - don't stress if your first few practices aren't the best - if you stay confident you'll improve a lot faster than I did. We haven't actually had a practice written exam yet so I'm not too sure about that - we write essays every week but I often use vocal lists and the dictionary for help in that.
4 - For me, my two most stressful subjects have probably been Spanish and Chemistry. I love maths - I teach myself quite a lot of further maths, but I've found that I spend most time outside of school doing these subjects. Nevertheless, I don't completely regret choosing Spanish, however if I had the chance to re-pick options, there is a chance that I wouldn't take it.
5 - Universities definitely do like students that have a language, so it's beneficial in that way.

And course work - nope
Reply 5
Original post by #sarahsmith2
Hey I see you've already decided to take the AS level - but I thought I'd still answer some of your questions anyway - as I take very similar subjects to you. I take Maths, FM, Chem, Bio and Spanish.
1 - My teacher said it's very common for people to get A's at AS level, but an A* at A2 is a lot harder to achieve, and even some of the spanish people in our school have ended up with As, but you don't have to worry about that if you only want to take it to AS level.
2 - In the work we've been doing so far, I have found a clear jump up from GCSE work, but you come to find a pattern with exam papers and how best to answer them, and although we've not had our mocks yet so I haven't done a full paper all together, I've reached a stage where I am getting quite a few of the questions right. I think if you got a high a/a* at GCSE and you're willing to put the work in, then there's no reason that high marks are not achievable.
3 - I'll be honest, up to now the speaking exam had been the being of my life - we practice speaking with a spanish assistant every week, although I was completely fine in GCSE, I suddenly started to feel very conscious of not being good enough. However, half a year has passed and my confidence has increased incredibly up to the point that I'm getting As in the practice speaking exams we do every week - so I guess that's a little advice - if you're teachers are good they'll teach you how to deal with each exam - don't stress if your first few practices aren't the best - if you stay confident you'll improve a lot faster than I did. We haven't actually had a practice written exam yet so I'm not too sure about that - we write essays every week but I often use vocal lists and the dictionary for help in that.
4 - For me, my two most stressful subjects have probably been Spanish and Chemistry. I love maths - I teach myself quite a lot of further maths, but I've found that I spend most time outside of school doing these subjects. Nevertheless, I don't completely regret choosing Spanish, however if I had the chance to re-pick options, there is a chance that I wouldn't take it.
5 - Universities definitely do like students that have a language, so it's beneficial in that way.

And course work - nope

You sound similar to me then, considering that you love maths, and you are taking similar subjects.

Thanks for your detailed answer, it's helpful. Speaking was the only part which was making me think twice about taking Spanish, but after speaking to my teacher, she assured me it is not as bad as it seems at first.

When I come to do Spanish AS, I will be among the first year doing the 'new' Spanish AS, so let's see. But apparently, there are now translations as part of the exam (which is good, I think)
You sound similar to me then, considering that you love maths, and you are taking similar subjects.

Thanks for your detailed answer, it's helpful. Speaking was the only part which was making me think twice about taking Spanish, but after speaking to my teacher, she assured me it is not as bad as it seems at first.

When I come to do Spanish AS, I will be among the first year doing the 'new' Spanish AS, so let's see. But apparently, there are now translations as part of the exam (which is good, I think)

Haha yeah I definitely love maths :smile:

If you had asked me a month ago I probably would have said don't do it!!! But now, I feel that I'm in a place that I could definitely get an A in the exam if I keep working on it. Now I'd say you should go for it :smile:

We have translations as part of our AS exam as well - maybe it's an exam board thing but WJEC have had them in al the past papers we've done in class

Quick Reply

Latest