Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When would be the best time to take A level Maths? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,In the summer I achieved a C in gcse maths, I started studying Economics, French and Law and I love economics and I realised that I need maths if I wish to study it at a top university.I re-took maths in November and achieved a grade A (note- I started higher maths 5 months before June). I am currently on track for 3 A's in AS however I am not sure whether taking AS level maths next year would be sensible because it could mean that i spend less time on my other subjects if i find maths really hard.
    I am taking a gap year and I would like to apply to Cambridge or LSE then, my dad thinks I should take the whole A level maths in my gap year as a third year student however I think I should do As maths next year (y13) and then A2 and maybe Further Maths AS in my gap year...What is your opinion? What will LSE and Cambridge etc prefer.Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Getting the minimum grades for the Cambridge/LSE course should be the number one priority so I would be inclined to agree with your dad.

However, if you feel like you can handle the AS in your second year, I would do it then as it will show your intent to study Economics (and, if you do well, competence at maths), which will be helpful when you come to apply for the uni courses.

Up to you - only you know what you're capable of.

Ta.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigpaddy27)
    Hi,In the summer I achieved a C in gcse maths, I started studying Economics, French and Law and I love economics and I realised that I need maths if I wish to study it at a top university.I re-took maths in November and achieved a grade A (note- I started higher maths 5 months before June). I am currently on track for 3 A's in AS however I am not sure whether taking AS level maths next year would be sensible because it could mean that i spend less time on my other subjects if i find maths really hard.
    I am taking a gap year and I would like to apply to Cambridge or LSE then, my dad thinks I should take the whole A level maths in my gap year as a third year student however I think I should do As maths next year (y13) and then A2 and maybe Further Maths AS in my gap year...What is your opinion? What will LSE and Cambridge etc prefer.Many thanks
    AS Maths in Yr 13 Full A2 +FM AS >
    A2 maths in whole yr 14
    Bear in mind that most competitive applicants will have A2 Maths and FM by the end of yr 13. I suggest personally to study AS maths in Yr 12-13 summer holidays and try get onto schools A2 maths course(show them your AS maths is good enough) or teach the A2 yourself aswell. Then try to do FM A2 in Yr 14(during the Gap year!). Good luck
    I didnt see the first line until TeeEm posted, A level will be very hard if you got C in GCSE first sitting. Keep this strongly in mind.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigpaddy27)
    Definitely gap year.
    I still think you will find A level maths very hard ...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.