Turn on thread page Beta

car to uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i was thinking is it actualy worth taking a car to uni, considering the cost of insurance , mot, tax and then petrol, the cost a car for a year will be more than 2k, so is it betta to setle for a buspass or still take the car?

ReputationRep:
    Naturally, public transport is for the plebeians.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon it depends on each individual (what a cliche :rolleyes: ), personally I am going to feel more independent by taking mr car with me...plus I like driving and it might be useful for taking stuff back and forth as well. I will also find it easier when visiting people in other uni's I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmitrij_savicki)
    i was thinking is it actualy worth taking a car to uni, considering the cost of insurance , mot, tax and then petrol, the cost a car for a year will be more than 2k, so is it betta to setle for a buspass or still take the car?
    depends on the uni- some unis require permits for parking and first years often don't get these (true of my uni anyway)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Some universities will not allow you to have a car, especially if you are living in halls, so you should check this out. I will manage fine with a bike for my first three years, but Cambridge is not a typical university city (i.e. it is small and flat, and my accommodation is fairly central) so other places may be different.

ReputationRep:
    At any of Manchester Universities you have to pay to park and it can be expensive, also public transport is so good you don't need one. I have managed 21 years without a car without any hinderence in my quality of life. However if the campus was countryside based and a long way from the local town then a car might be handy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    At any of Manchester Universities you have to pay to park and it can be expensive, also public transport is so good you don't need one. I have managed 21 years without a car without any hinderence in my quality of life. However if the campus was countryside based and a long way from the local town then a car might be handy.
    How do you know your life wouldn't have been that little bit better with a car, if you haven't had one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    How do you know your life wouldn't have been that little bit better with a car, if you haven't had one?
    Well their is nothing I can;t do because I don't have a car, my dad has a car because he needs it for business, but other than its a real hinderence, MOTs, Tax, insurance, petrol, it all costs a furtune and everybody misunderestimates the cost fo this.

ReputationRep:
    Well their is nothing I can;t do because I don't have a car, my dad has a car because he needs it for business, but other than its a real hinderence, MOTs, Tax, insurance, petrol, it all costs a furtune and everybody misunderestimates the cost fo this.
    i agree with that, instead of wasting all that cash on running a car, money can be spend in better ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmitrij_savicki)
    i agree with that, instead of wasting all that cash on running a car, money can be spend in better ways.
    Yep like holidays, drinking partying etc. Only one of my mates at uni have a car and because of that she never has any more and works stupid hours just to pay for petrol and insurance. She only drives a K reg Peugeot 106 as well.

ReputationRep:
    Yep like holidays, drinking partying etc. Only one of my mates at uni have a car and because of that she never has any more and works stupid hours just to pay for petrol and insurance. She only drives a K reg Peugeot 106 as well.
    Suppose it depends on your cash-flow situation, obviously in her case its not really worth working "stupid hours". Then again she obviously thinks its worth it as she is will to work for the privilage.

ReputationRep:
    In most cases, you really won't need a car - OK, it's nice and convenient to have one, particularly when carting your shopping home, but generally not necessary.

Having said that, I have just bought a car, as I need it to travel to placements (30+ miles round trip a day). My bank account isn't very happy, but I do really need it now.

ReputationRep:
    In my uni only an extremely rich retard would take a car. This is due to a lack of parking facilities (and the cost of the extremely limited facilities that do exist), the congestion charge as well as the cost of actually running a car. However, public transport is pretty good (buses, night buses and the tube) and taxis are ubiquitous.

ReputationRep:
    In my city at night there is literly (and this has to be seen to believed) tens of bus all queing up picking up students and taking them to fallowfield. The buses to the student area are more frequent at 3:00am than during the day, there seems to be about 10 buses per minute going past. Although I doubt anybody would ever consider using a car for a night out anyway if you intend drinking.

My university charges £2.50 a day to park, which would soon add up as lectures can be quite stagmented.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.