Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    One of my Universities got back to me a few weeks ago and said that they were considering making me an offer. They also, in the same email, invited me to an applicant day. In the email they talked about how the day would be like the informal interview for me to ask questions and stuff and the tours, they never mentioned a formal interview as part of the entry requirements. They also never mentioned if it was compulsory. Just the term "invited" which could mean anything.

Now I'm in a bit of a predicament because they have just sent a follow up email reminding me to sign up for one of the days but I still haven't received anything about this supposed offer. This first email was on the 12th of Jan if that helps.

I'm asking because I'd really like to know what other people think of this. I'd prefer not to have to travel for hours to visit a University for them to suddenly turn around and send me no offer. However I'm also worried that if I don't go they might also not send me an offer.

I find it a bit unusual to get an applicant day invite with no interview requirement but no offer. It's like turning up to a job and them giving you a tour of your office without them telling you if you even potentially have the job.

ReputationRep:
    A similar thing happened to me, went to the applicant day (I did have an 'interview' though they called it a discussion ) and then got the official offer (on track) a few days later. They said something about us seeing if we would like studying there blah blah blah and it wasn't a particularly useful day tbh. I'd say you should go; you'll probably find that no one there actually has an offer yet, but I imagine you'll all get offers soon after (if you're concerned about travel etc. then maybe you should email them?)
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tacoman500v1)
    One of my Universities got back to me a few weeks ago and said that they were considering making me an offer. They also, in the same email, invited me to an applicant day. In the email they talked about how the day would be like the informal interview for me to ask questions and stuff and the tours, they never mentioned a formal interview as part of the entry requirements. They also never mentioned if it was compulsory. Just the term "invited" which could mean anything.

Now I'm in a bit of a predicament because they have just sent a follow up email reminding me to sign up for one of the days but I still haven't received anything about this supposed offer. This first email was on the 12th of Jan if that helps.

I'm asking because I'd really like to know what other people think of this. I'd prefer not to have to travel for hours to visit a University for them to suddenly turn around and send me no offer. However I'm also worried that if I don't go they might also not send me an offer.

I find it a bit unusual to get an applicant day invite with no interview requirement but no offer. It's like turning up to a job and them giving you a tour of your office without them telling you if you even potentially have the job.
    I would explicitly ask the university if attending the applicant day will have any bearing on whether you would get an offer or not. If they say yes, that the informal interview might be used in the decision making process, then you need to go if you want the best chance of getting an offer. If they say no, then I think it's fair enough to say you're not able to attend.

In general, applicant days are used by universities to help sell the course/uni to you in a more focused way than open days, and lots of students find them useful. Usually, there's far fewer people there, so there's a better chance to talk to staff and find out if the uni would be a good fit for you. However, if the uni is a very long distance away, or one you're not very keen on, then there's not necessarily a huge benefit to attending (and, as you say, they may still reject you).

If they do make you an offer, and the journey is very difficult/inconvenient, then you should probably also consider this as a factor when chosing whether or not accept.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.