Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which city has the happiest workers? Watch

• Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    A new report has been released by the 'business psychologists' OPP, revealing where in the UK people are the happiest with their jobs.

OPP - which also produced the Myers-Brigg personality test, questioned over 2500 workers about the levels of satisfaction within their jobs.

36% of respondents are said to be more satisfied at work than the previous year - with workload, salary, and management changes reportedly the most important factors for job satisfaction.

Newcastle, Cardiff, and Glasgow came bottom of the list, while we're pleased to report Norwich appeared top.

Here's the full Top 10:

1 Norwich
    2 Liverpool
    3 Birmingham
    4 Brighton
    5 Plymouth
    6 Sheffield
    7 Nottingham
    8 Manchester
    9 Southampton
    10 Bristol

Last month a study by Bloomberg found that UEA was also one of the Top 50 best employers in the UK - with Jaguar Land Rover, Harrods, Adidas, Dyson, Microsoft and Sky appearing in the Top 10.

What are your experiences of these cities? Does the chart reflect your view, and where do you think is the best city to work?

ReputationRep:
    I am always really dubious about studies like this. 2500 is a very small sample size and was it self selecting? Was there a control group and can the report authors really be sure that where you work is the main factor for happiness? This sounds like the sort of report that would be ripped to shreds by the More or Less team.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    I am always really dubious about studies like this. 2500 is a very small sample size and was it self selecting? Was there a control group and can the report authors really be sure that where you work is the main factor for happiness? This sounds like the sort of report that would be ripped to shreds by the More or Less team.
    Where do you reckon is the best place to work is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of East Anglia)
    Where do you reckon is the best place to work is?
    I couldn't possibly say. I have only worked in three locations and my happiness has never particularly linked just to work. I have had times where life has been amazing and work horrendous and visa versa. I find it incredible that one can separate out a happiness within a city as somewhere to work as opposed to somewhere you live and work from a simple survey.

Did the survey interview people who work in these places, but don't live there?

ReputationRep:
    How can UEA be a happy place to work when you can't even wear a sombrero?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    How can UAE be a happy place to work when you can't even wear a sombrero?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    *UEA. Pretty sure that was just a Student Union overreaction and nothing they could enforce.

It's certainly a happy place in Norwich but I imagine there are more job opportunities in the big smoke (just a hunch).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenationalhealth)
    *UEA. Pretty sure that was just a Student Union overreaction and nothing they could enforce.

It's certainly a happy place in Norwich but I imagine there are more job opportunities in the big smoke (just a hunch).
    Thank you.

The university never stepped in to say how ridiculous the union policy was so I will put them in same boat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Thank you.

The university never stepped in to say how ridiculous the union policy was so I will put them in same boat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just because they didn't write it on a billboard doesn't mean they didn't. The fact such a policy doesn't exist suggests they did

So yeah Norwich
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Surprised London never came up.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.