The Student Room Group

Studying in Holland

Was wondering if anyone else would be doing this and wanted to know what you thought of this/why you're doing it etc.

On top of my UCAS choices (Newcastle, Edinburgh, UEA and Brookes) I'll be applying to the Universities of Amsterdam, Groningen and Utrecht. I read an article on how more and more UK students have chosen to study in The Netherlands, due primarily to the reduced fees in comparison to UK Universities. I've done more and more research on this and am just about ready to send off the applications for this (deadline in April 1st for International Students). Most of the main courses are taught in English, have reputations as being good courses, and on average are around £850 per year, compared to the UK fees of £9000. Also, the entry requirements are significantly lower. I would need AAB for Newcastle, while I only need CCC for a course of equal quality at Amsterdam. It would also give you the advantage of studying in Europe and gaining valuable cultural knowledge (dependant on what kind of career you're looking at of course). I will be applying for Literary studies at these three Unis.

What are your thoughts on this? Are you doing something similar?
Original post by albertrobson1
I would need AAB for Newcastle, while I only need CCC for a course of equal quality at Amsterdam.

Studying abroad is a good idea but how do you know the course is of equal quality to the Newcastle one? Though it has to be better than Oxford Brookes LOL.
Original post by maximum_entropy
Studying abroad is a good idea but how do you know the course is of equal quality to the Newcastle one? Though it has to be better than Oxford Brookes LOL.

I went to the open days for both Unis and to me the course, modules, teachers and general feel of the subject seemed extremely good at both unis
Original post by albertrobson1
I went to the open days for both Unis and to me the course, modules, teachers and general feel of the subject seemed extremely good at both unis

If you are looking at subsequent employment opportunities then you need to consider what will a degree from Holland say to the typical employer in the UK (unless you plan on working in Holland for instance). Employers if they are not familiar with something err on the side of caution. So Newcastle would probably be a better idea than someplace in Holland. As for Brookes - well there is still a lot of negatives out there such as people thinking its a plastic university that dabbles in non-academic subjects.
Original post by maximum_entropy
If you are looking at subsequent employment opportunities then you need to consider what will a degree from Holland say to the typical employer in the UK (unless you plan on working in Holland for instance). Employers if they are not familiar with something err on the side of caution. So Newcastle would probably be a better idea than someplace in Holland. As for Brookes - well there is still a lot of negatives out there such as people thinking its a plastic university that dabbles in non-academic subjects.

I am half French and will more than likely seek employment in France. Also, I intend to learn Dutch during the three years there, widening employment opportunity in Holland. Also, the Uni of Amsterdam isn't just 'someplace in Holland', it's highly recognised as a top world University.
Reply 5
I think you must pursue what you really want. I, too, am planning to study abroad but maybe on the middle east of Asia. Tuition fee here in the UK really is too steep for my family. Have you tried applying to Diversity Abroad? They might be able to help you out?
Reply 6
Original post by JameeR
Tuition fee here in the UK really is too steep for my family.

Funny, they have a thing called loans.
Reply 7
Original post by z_of_8.1
Funny, they have a thing called loans.

It is funny. because it is true. My family aren't fan of loans. bad experience with lending company. We almost got ripped off because of those loans. We still do loans though, but very minimal. Only for our daily budget. You're probably a student, right, @z_of_8.1?
You studying in Noord-Holland or Zuid-Holland?

Because, you know, Holland is the region...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by JameeR
It is funny. because it is true. My family aren't fan of loans. bad experience with lending company. We almost got ripped off because of those loans. We still do loans though, but very minimal. Only for our daily budget. You're probably a student, right, @z_of_8.1?

Not exactly a fan of doing some research are you? Because you patently haven't investigated anything about student loans.
Original post by z_of_8.1
Not exactly a fan of doing some research are you? Because you patently haven't investigated anything about student loans.

Student loans can be pretty daunting, but almost everyone just learns to live with them. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending