The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How much did you revsie?
this is a lot of peoples life story atm
AS mock results are a shocker since this is the point where you say goodbye to GCSE land, well thats my view anyway
you know where to improve and where to work
youll be fine
:h:
Original post by kelseyanne9876
got them back today and i got 4 Us, absolutely devastated.

can anybody give me advice to help prepare summer exams and have any of you had results like this before and turned it around. im a state of despair ive lost all faith and ready to give up.

im in year 12 and i take Law Business Government/Politics and Critical Thinking

4U's??????

You either put hardly any effort in or this is a step (or two) too far for you.
Original post by Ishea16
this is a lot of peoples life story atm
AS mock results are a shocker since this is the point where you say goodbye to GCSE land, well thats my view anyway
you know where to improve and where to work
youll be fine
:h:

You are forgetting the one other situation - they may just not be cut out for academics. It's all well and good saying if they'll be fine given the right areas to improve in - but 4 U's is a damn strong hint they may not be good enough.
Reply 5
Original post by maximum_entropy
You are forgetting the one other situation - .

I got 3 Us the first time I sat AS and then CCE the second time. It doesn't necessarily mean they aren't good enough, stop being patronising.

OP, the step up is quite surprising and there's a number of possible factors:

Did you revise as much as you could have done?
Are the revision techniques that you are using effective enough? I've heard of stories of people at GCSE doing one technique but then at AS/A2 it really doesn't just cut it out. Perhaps try changing your technique?
Do you understand all of the material?
Lastly, are the subjects your interests/strengths? I know the first time I did AS, I chose subjects that were academic but I just wasn't fit for them. I changed them and then I improved dramatically.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you good luck and I'm sure it'll be fine in the end :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Beat
I got 3 Us the first time I sat AS and then CCE the second time. It doesn't necessarily mean they aren't good enough, stop being patronising.

You are the one possibly patronising them. People need to be pragmatic about this. CCE isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of academics either.

I'll wager most people who get 4U's at this stage do not improve to any decent level at all. It's a really strong indicator that it isn't for you. For instance your 3 U's told us quite a bit.

It's all well and good with this "oh, I'm sure you'll do better with a little more work" but more sensible advice is that they need to really sit down with their parents and teachers - be honest as to how much work they have done - and make a smart decision possessing all the facts.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Beat

OP, the step up is quite surprising and there's a number of possible factors:

Did you revise as much as you could have done?
Are the revision techniques that you are using effective enough? I've heard of stories of people at GCSE doing one technique but then at AS/A2 it really doesn't just cut it out. Perhaps try changing your technique?
Do you understand all of the material?
Lastly, are the subjects your interests/strengths? I know the first time I did AS, I chose subjects that were academic but I just wasn't fit for them. I changed them and then I improved dramatically.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you good luck and I'm sure it'll be fine in the end :smile:

CCE isn't even anything amazing, or average for that matter so you're not exactly in any position to be advising anyone
Posted from TSR Mobile

I didnt get 4 U's but i didnt do well at all
That doesnt mean im "academically less able" what a thing to say:facepalm:
the fact of the matter is i believe i dont exam well and i think you have been damn right rude about the situation. i asked for help with my situation and tips not telling me stuff i already know.
Original post by Ishea16
Posted from TSR Mobile

I didnt get 4 U's but i didnt do well at all
That doesnt mean im "academically less able" what a thing to say:facepalm:

It DOES mean you are less academically capable than someone who got 4 A* - right?
Reply 11
You are the one possibly patronising them. People need to be pragmatic about this. CCE isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of academics either.

I'll wager most people who get 4U's at this stage do not improve to any decent level at all. It's a really strong indicator that it isn't for you. For instance your 3 U's told us quite a bit.

It's all well and good with this "oh, I'm sure you'll do better with a little more work" but more sensible advice is that they need to really sit down with their parents and teachers - be honest as to how much work they have done - and make a smart decision possessing all the facts.

Oh shut up, you're being ridiculous. Two Cs at A Level are classed as the average grade and the E was because I still didn't put the required effort in, so the more you know. If you look around the forum you'll see many success stories of people improving their grades drastically, but I see you're too blinded by your ignorance. So, you can take your 'wager' and shove it somewhere else.

Original post by InadequateJusticex
CCE isn't even anything amazing, or average for that matter so you're not exactly in any position to be advising anyone

Thank you for trying to degrade me. At the end of the day, unlike some, at least I'm making an attempt to be a kinder human being.
Original post by kelseyanne9876
the fact of the matter is i believe i dont exam well and i think you have been damn right rude about the situation. i asked for help with my situation and tips not telling me stuff i already know.

Aha - the old "I don't exam well" excuse.

Look it's quite simple - if you did no work and got 4 U's then even then it's a poor sign since the smart kids would still get B's.

If you worked at it and then got 4 U's then it is a strong indicator you are out of your depth.

This is not rude it's a fact. Maybe this is the wake up you need to make an informed decision about your future.

How can we help on here? If you know you need to work more then do it - if you cannot work more then you should not be doing these A levels. It really is that simple.

i could spell fudge with my gcses and went on to improve and i now have mostlty level 2's 2 level 1's and a level 4 as well as doing my ba degree so yes people can improve tyvm
Original post by Beat
Oh shut up, you're being ridiculous. Two Cs at A Level are classed as the average grade and the E was because I still didn't put the required effort in, so the more you know. If you look around the forum you'll see many success stories of people improving their grades drastically, but I see you're too blinded by your ignorance. So, you can take your 'wager' and shove it somewhere else.

I'll wager no one on here has gone from 4 U's to say AAAB unless the U's meant they didn't show up that day.

CCE is poor, end of story. As someone else said - don't be giving advice because it didn't work for yourself.

Thank you for trying to degrade me. At the end of the day, unlike some, at least I'm making an attempt to be a kinder human being.

You are not helping but hurting others with such drivel.
Original post by shawtyb
i could spell fudge with my gcses and went on to improve and i now have mostlty level 2's 2 level 1's and a level 4 as well as doing my ba degree so yes people can improve tyvm

No one says they can't. But 4 U's is a bad sign.

Levels in what?
I've been in your situation lol! Worst time of my life!

I turned it around and got A*AB
(I did law as well)

If you need help I could PM you?
Reply 17
I'll wager no one on here has gone from 4 U's to say AAAB unless the U's meant they didn't show up that day.

CCE is poor, end of story. As someone else said - don't be giving advice because it didn't work for yourself.

You are not helping but hurting others with such drivel.

Oh the god damn irony. I'm pretty sure if you looked in the right places, you would definitely see such cases.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2250604

Check this thread titled 'A Level success stories' and then come back to me.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2432356

Check that one as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
No one says they can't. But 4 U's is a bad sign.

Levels in what?

yes 4 u's is bad but the op can turn it around.

hairdressing
maths
english
customer service
business admin
business studies
Original post by shawtyb
yes 4 u's is bad but the op can turn it around.

You do not know that. It may be beyond them. Which with 4U's seems bloody likely.

hairdressing
maths
english
customer service
business admin
business studies

Oh.