Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why couldn't we have Sanders instead? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walking in sand)
    this is patently incorrect

if it didnt pro-israelis (incl israeli gov/bibi etc) wouldn't assert it as such
    There are other reasons as to why a democracy might be used as Israel's selling point.

-More stability means that they are better prospects as long term friends and allies, there will be no violent Arab spring where Mr US President wakes up to find his besties have all been lynched and his enemies are now running the show.

-More similar to the political system of America so it makes them seem like natural friends, it doesn't seem all that strange to think Israeli diplomats might try to emphasise similarities with the people they're trying to create bonds with

-It implies are more educated populace that they take part in electoral processes rather than looking to a supreme leader for his omniscient guidance

ReputationRep:
    the ending of that article ruined it

:facepalm:
    Yeah, I thought that line revealed pretty well the author's agenda.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Sanders is much more charismatic than Corbyn. He also speaks about issues that affect people, especially the middle classes like; taxes, wages, healthcare etc. Unlike Corbyn who's going on about trident and the Falklands.

In a way he's far more populist, and less intellectual but it's working for him.
    Not that it's working well for him yet. A poll done in January found most voters felt Clinton was more in touch with their concerns than Sanders, despite it having little basis in fact. It'll be interesting to see if he can breach that gap.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    the ending of that article ruined it

:facepalm:
    I know, it was stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiBabylonista)
    There are other reasons as to why a democracy might be used as Israel's selling point.
    i agree with all of those, but thats irrelevant because thats not what 99% of bibi's audience take from him defending his actions in gaza (etc) by emphasising how israel is a democracy whilst hamas hates gays

its essentially used to justify any/all of israel's actions.

ReputationRep:
    i agree with all of those, but thats irrelevant because thats not what 99% of bibi's audience take from him defending his actions in gaza (etc) by emphasising how israel is a democracy whilst hamas hates gays

its essentially used to justify any/all of israel's actions.

I don't think the democracy thing is used nearly as much as you're claiming

The gay rights thing is used a lot sure, but then again, Europeans empathising with the people who won't behead your gay son and stone your daughter makes sense, rather than bored middle class slactivists thinking Israel is the next cool thing to solve like civil rights and south africa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiBabylonista)
    I don't think the democracy thing is used nearly as much as you're claiming
    go to the israel/palestine mega thread and search "democracy"

ReputationRep:
    go to the israel/palestine mega thread and search "democracy"
    There were not that many results and of those that were, lots of them were pro-Palestine posters asking the same thing as yourself 'If Israel is a democracy, why does it do...'

The Palestinian Authority is a democracy, I mean sure the victorious Hamas celebrated winning the election by publicly executing members of the Fatah party, but there was still voting right.

ReputationRep:
    Something else to note is if all the so called moderates of the labour party had not been so at odds iwth their membership base someone who is more politically skillful and who has a less troubled past could have wielded the serge to the left in a more "sensible way".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Been taking an interest in the US election and other than my observation that Ted Cruz is a far scarier option thatn Trump in my view but that Sanders is, on balance pretty much spot on (The only thing I disagree with him on (That I can see ) is Iraq).

The New Statesman has done a pretty good comparison of Corbyn and Sanders and Sanders is in every way better than Corbyn:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...-jeremy-corbyn

Sanders is where the Labour party should be (And Clinton's where Cameron is!) I think the Corbynites need to get their head round this.
    Firstly, Sanders is more radical than he wants to show. See this article, for instance, accusing Sanders of being a closet communist. Whilst that is an exaggeration, Sanders is simply more of a politician than Jeremy Corbyn, so he's better at hiding his true views - we've seen this already on gun control: for pragmatic reasons, Sanders has voted against certain gun control bills to keep the people of Vermont happy. If Sanders becomes the nominee, Sanders' past activities (from calling Burlington's softball team the People's Republic of Burlington, to inviting Noam Chomsky to give talks on foreign policy) will invariably be scrutinised.

Secondly, economically and socially, Sanders and Corbyn are in perfect agreement. Anti-austerity, strong support from and for trade unions, higher income taxes on the wealthiest, a tax on financial speculation, and so on. Sanders is a critic, like Corbyn, of consumerism, and is completely against really existing capitalism. Sanders took several trips, also, to the USSR and Cuba, and hung a Soviet flag in his office.

I agree that, as a politician, Sanders is better than Corbyn, but Sanders also benefits from having utter, outspoken lunatics (from many people's point of view in the United States) opposing him in the Republican Party, whereas the Conservatives are at least better at spinning their disastrous policies.

His views on foreign policy are fair from my point of view. Supporting the international consensus on the two-state solution on Israel-Palestine, opposing Iraq, opposing the United States' support for terrorists trying to subvert democracy in Nicaragua, and so on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.