Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Durham University 2016 Foundation Year hopefuls. Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    Physics eeeeekkk! And applied to Collingwood, wanted a more modern college. I'm living just outside London at the mo.
    Have you been to Uni before? Can I ask how you got into finance?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Declare)
    No other offers at the moment .

Manchester - rejection
    Keele - interview next week
    Kingston - asked for my qualifications still waiting to hear
    UAE - still waiting

I will have to move with my family so a bit daunting, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

What other offers do you have?
    Hi Declare,

Good luck with your application, I'm sure you will hear back soon.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to help.

Chloe
    Student Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Physics eeeeekkk! And applied to Collingwood, wanted a more modern college. I'm living just outside London at the mo.
    Whoa, you're braver than me I tried for Geophysics, but I need a foundation year, and nobody offers it - so Geology it is, which is my 'thing' anyway! So excited!! I'm in for St Chad's - wanted something really academically focused... I'm hoping to stay in residence too, so I don't have to cook - hahaha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaireFad)
    Whoa, you're braver than me I tried for Geophysics, but I need a foundation year, and nobody offers it - so Geology it is, which is my 'thing' anyway! So excited!! I'm in for St Chad's - wanted something really academically focused... I'm hoping to stay in residence too, so I don't have to cook - hahaha!
    That sounds perfect then, I think as a mature student you can't afford to do something that's not quite what you want to do, good luck to you!

And yeah, not cooking sounds amazing. Just the general break from being a grown up is what I'm looking forward to, well not a total break but I'm sure it will feel amazingly different!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennyhp)
    Have you been to Uni before? Can I ask how you got into finance?
    Hi

Didn't go to uni as my family were in a financially vulnerable place at the time so I worked to support them, now I want to get a degree just to do something for myself after these years of supporting them. I took a route into finance which barely exists anymore, into broking as a junior and worked my way up to sales trading, but got made redundant and had to take a step backwards and start as a junior again! Then got into electronic trading and product management but found that without a degree I couldn't progress in the way that I wanted. Very frustrating. And as a young woman, not having an education to back you up in the environments I've been in is like wearing a sign asking to be treated like crap/a bit of fluff by slimy/bullying men, in my experience. I would not recommend the route I took at all! Are you in financial services?

ReputationRep:
    Just the general break from being a grown up is what I'm looking forward to, well not a total break but I'm sure it will feel amazingly different!
    ermergerd. me too!!!! hahahaha

ReputationRep:
    ermergerd. me too!!!! hahahaha
    And the clean air!

Seriously worried about not earning though. Scared.

ReputationRep:
    I was rejected by Manchester too haha! Southampton also rejected me...

I've an offer from Leicester too, and still waiting for Leeds.

I think I'm going to firm Durham though. They have been the most helpful and friendly people, and the university itself is very good!

Is your family ok to move? Maybe a change in lifestyle will be a good thing

Good luck with yout decision!
    Well done. Manchester rejected me within a week of submitting. Harsh

They will be okay to move. Who knows maybe we will both be at Durham.

Do you have any idea of the actual figures or percentage of foundation year students who actually progress onto the Mpharm at any uni? Just worrying a little as to how challenging the course will be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Declare)
    Well done. Manchester rejected me within a week of submitting. Harsh

They will be okay to move. Who knows maybe we will both be at Durham.

Do you have any idea of the actual figures or percentage of foundation year students who actually progress onto the Mpharm at any uni? Just worrying a little as to how challenging the course will be
    I think it's quite high, and has more to do with the fact that they are mature students with mature attitudes and different motivations

ReputationRep:
    Anybody received an offer since this thread was last active? Anyone else waiting on one for physics?

ReputationRep:
    I have received an offer for English with foundation. i'm so happy about this!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's quite high, and has more to do with the fact that they are mature students with mature attitudes and different motivations
    Im not sure on the figures but I think durham just assumes you will progress, you need a 50% to progress from foundation to the main mpharm programme. Also with mpharm being at the stockton campus acomidation is a lot cheaper than at durham.

ReputationRep:
    I received an offer for Law with Foundation, incredibly excited! Been allocated to Trevelyan College. I'll be 20 when I start.

ReputationRep:
    Received an unconditional offer for law with foundation. I'm an international student and Durham doesn't recognize my qualification. I'm looking forward to it

ReputationRep:
    Today I received conditional offer for Law with Foundation. I am European student but i feel like I do not know anything about uni life in Durham or UK in general. Can someone enlighten me?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully see you all at the foundation centre!
    I'll be 29, moving up from herts to study archaeology. Allocated Hatfield as my college.
    Cannot wait!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I sent a late application in March to do History with foundation and I'm still waiting for a reply. I emailed them today for a status update on my application because I got an unconditional offer from Sheffield that I might accept.

I only realised today that they advise applicants to fill in that online form for mature students explaining their circumstances, I dunno if it's worth me doing it now a month after I sent my UCAS application in.

Edit: Did everybody have interviews before their offers?

ReputationRep:
    I have a few questions if anyone can help me with:
    1) is it possible to get student finance funding for the foundation year and then the proper honours degree too?
    2) I want to study Business and Computer Science as my honours which requires a level maths for Computer Science but I'm not currently studying a level maths (I'm in year 12 at the moment) so if I apply for a foundation year for Computer Science will they accept me even if I haven't done a level maths?
    3) after completing my foundation year in Computer Science, would I be able to choose Business and Computer Science as my honours or would I be limited to only doing Computer Science as my honours?

If anyone can answer any of these question it would be very helpful as I'm stressing over this constantly haha

ReputationRep:
    If I didn't take maths or physics A-level do I stand any chance in being accepted for the foundation year? Do they expect us to have relevant work experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcobruni98)
    If I didn't take maths or physics A-level do I stand any chance in being accepted for the foundation year? Do they expect us to have relevant work experience?
    Marco, I'm 23 and don't have any AS or A level qualifications. From what I've heard from other students, as well as Department of Physics faculty, this won't stop people like you or I being able to study at Durham. All you can do is submit your application, as there aren't a massive selection of Universities in the country that offer a foundation year that only requires GCSEs as a minimum.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.