Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gender vs Sex: Why do we use one more than the other? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I mentioned the word "Sex" in class today and I got some evil looks from most of the girls. One even said "It's more correct to say 'gender'" whilst my crush answered her by saying "It doesn't matter what word he uses". I got a nice smile from her after that

Anyway, I'm more used to saying "sex" and I'll keep using it to be honest.

"Gender" is a social construct, I tend to believe Biology has more significance.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyAnacondaDoes)
    I mentioned the word "Sex" in class today and I got some evil looks from most of the girls. One even said "It's more correct to say 'gender'" whilst my crush answered her by saying "It doesn't matter what word he uses". I got a nice smile from her after that

Anyway, I'm more used to saying "sex" and I'll keep using it to be honest.

"Gender" is a social construct, I tend to believe Biology has more significance.
    Sex is what you are born as.

Gender is what you think of yourself as.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much what you said.

Sex is what you are, well what your born as.
    Gender is what you identify as.

Sex has more significance as its biological and correct.
    But some people don't like the sex they are born with.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I use "sex" because I like sex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    I use "sex" because I like sex

I'm in love with the poooooon!

i think it doesn't matter which one you use as they both mean the same thing

ReputationRep:
    sex = biology

gender = social identification (non-binary)

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you mean. What was the discussion you were having?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fgardhouse)
    i think it doesn't matter which one you use as they both mean the same thing
    No they don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by DiddyDec)
    No they don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what do you think sex and gender mean:question:

ReputationRep:
    Sex sounds more fancier and technical. Genders sounds more casual. Why is more correct to say gender?

ReputationRep:
    As others have already said, sex is basically what you are born as according to your physical anatomy (male, female, intersex) whereas gender is what you identify as and how you see yourself

ReputationRep:
    Why have I never met any middle aged people that claim to be "non binary", or "quizgender", is it that they are just made up terms by middle class people who have too few problems so they can feel "oppressed".

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the context.

If you're speaking about biology (the physical manifestation, functioning, etc. - peen/vag and XY/XX), then "sex" is correct.
    If you are speaking about social differences (attitudes, social roles, etc. - "women are more emotional than men"), it is standard to use the term "gender".

The former is largely about physiology, while the latter is about psychology and social behavior.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieran12321LFC)
    Why have I never met any middle aged people that claim to be "non binary", or "quizgender", is it that they are just made up terms by middle class people who have too few problems so they can feel "oppressed".
    Just because you haven't met them doesn't mean they aren't out there. I've never been to the Czech Republic, but it's still there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.