Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I understand how this could seem incredibly cheeky, but I am in a slightly odd situation:
    I am currently enrolled on an access to HE course at a local college. I dropped out of university in my second year two years ago on health grounds, and am now reapplying. I have decent A Levels, adequate for the courses I have applied to, but they are now over four years old.
    I have received an offer from my first choice of university based on passing my access course to a high standard: it seems achievable, and I was very glad to receive it. I do already have the A Level grades required for the standard offer, but as I said before, they're a little old. However, I have now received an offer from another university. Though not quite as high ranking as my first choice, it is still a great uni that I'd be happy to go to. The offer was unconditional.
    That caused my dilemma: as I have already had two years of student loans, I'm going to have to pay for my first year of uni this time completely out of pocket. I planned to get a job over the summer, but now as I have an unconditional offer, I could possibly drop out of college now and work for much longer until the autumn, reducing the amount of loans (bank loans, I add) that I would have to take considerably. As it's just an access to HE course, it is relatively unimportant for anything but getting into uni: it's not something employers ever ask for, unlike A Levels.
    So, my question is this: could I potentially ask my first choice of university to give me an unconditional offer too? If so, I would firm them in an instant. It would also mean I no longer had to decide between my first choice of university, and thousands of pounds less of loans that are not nearly as forgiving as student loans. I would, of course, explain the situation to the university. Would it be worth a shot? Could it have any potential negative consequences I'm not considering?
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starttheruckus)
    I understand how this could seem incredibly cheeky, but I am in a slightly odd situation:
    I am currently enrolled on an access to HE course at a local college. I dropped out of university in my second year two years ago on health grounds, and am now reapplying. I have decent A Levels, adequate for the courses I have applied to, but they are now over four years old.
    I have received an offer from my first choice of university based on passing my access course to a high standard: it seems achievable, and I was very glad to receive it. I do already have the A Level grades required for the standard offer, but as I said before, they're a little old. However, I have now received an offer from another university. Though not quite as high ranking as my first choice, it is still a great uni that I'd be happy to go to. The offer was unconditional.
    That caused my dilemma: as I have already had two years of student loans, I'm going to have to pay for my first year of uni this time completely out of pocket. I planned to get a job over the summer, but now as I have an unconditional offer, I could possibly drop out of college now and work for much longer until the autumn, reducing the amount of loans (bank loans, I add) that I would have to take considerably. As it's just an access to HE course, it is relatively unimportant for anything but getting into uni: it's not something employers ever ask for, unlike A Levels.
    So, my question is this: could I potentially ask my first choice of university to give me an unconditional offer too? If so, I would firm them in an instant. It would also mean I no longer had to decide between my first choice of university, and thousands of pounds less of loans that are not nearly as forgiving as student loans. I would, of course, explain the situation to the university. Would it be worth a shot? Could it have any potential negative consequences I'm not considering?
    Thanks in advance
    If they wanted to give you an unconditional offer, they'd have done that in the first place. I don't think asking will change that but you could give it a shot. You never know, they might just change their mind.

Also, unless your offer says 'if you firm, your offer will be unconditional', firming will keep your offer as a conditional.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Thanks in advance
    You cant ask for unconditional offers as if they wished to offer you one then would have generally done so when seeing your application, it could be that as your a levels are a few years old that they need the access to prove you're still at that level of knowledge.
    Also bare in mind that unconditional offers would generally assume that you complete the qualification you are currently studying, if you drop out then technically your application has changed so it could effect the offer that you already have.
    Have you spoken to sfe as to whether your health issues which caused you to drop out could count towards getting your gift year back?

ReputationRep:
    If you can prove that you dropped out of uni the first time due to medical reasons (get a note from GP, medical professionals etc) you might be able to get your first year funded. It's worth ringing and asking.

ReputationRep:
    The thing with unconditional offers is that they still mean that you have to complete any qualifications where you put the grade as pending on your UCAS form. They gave you an unconditional believing that you would be completing that qualification. Even if you did get an unconditional, this may not mean that you an drop out of your access course.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks in advance

We have a lot in common, uni-failure-wise. I would like to suggest you contact SFE and discussed Compelling Personal Reasons with them. When you apply for your next batch of SFE, provided you can back it up with medical notes or doctors letters - whatever you can get your hands on- you can apply for CPR and claim back a year at a time of lost funding due to withdrawals and Drop-outs due to particularly difficult circumstances (ill health, family death, course problems, etc). It's assessed case-by-case so you won't know until you apply for funding if you will get granted it or not, but it's worth trying. I am doing this myself, as like you I dropped out twice for illness, but I haven't firmed yet so haven't placed my application for this year yet.

Also, check out grants from private charities online (google charitable grants), there's a whole website that will help you look - I did this and applied for a few I was eligible for, and managed to secure a £1000 towards my OU modules. You've nothing to lose! Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    but now as I have an unconditional offer, I could possibly drop out of college now and work for much longer
    No, you can't. Any offers you have received (both unconditional and conditional) are on the basis that what you have written on your UCAS form is correct and continues to be correct. That means that if you quit your Access course then both offers could be revoked.
    I strongly suggest that before you make any such decisions you speak to the unconditional uni and find out what their position on it would be

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I planned to get a job over the summer, but now as I have an unconditional offer, I could possibly drop out of college now and work for much longer until the autumn, reducing the amount of loans (bank loans, I add) that I would have to take considerably. As it's just an access to HE course, it is relatively unimportant for anything but getting into uni: it's not something employers ever ask for, unlike A Levels.
    Thanks in advance
    Unconditional offers aren't quite as unconditional as you think. If you change the exam/qualifications you are sitting, you need to inform the uni and they can chose to withdraw their offer. It's very likely that although the unconditional offer was given on the basis of your A-level grades, they won't be keen on you dropping out of your access course now. Definitely don't drop out without something in writing from the university letting you know that it's ok to do this.

I suppose you have nothing to lose from speaking to your first choice uni but I'd be willing to bet an awful lot of money that they won't change their offer. If they wanted to give you an unconditional offer, they would have done- they just aren't that into you.

A uni couldn't withdraw your offer for asking, but you do potentially risk annoying admissions staff, which could be relevant if you just miss your grades, or the person making the decision is your lecturer later on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.