Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, so everybody has heard "Bo Rhap", "Another one Bites the Dust" and "We Will Rock You", but who has listened to any of Queen's songs not found in the greatest hits collection?

Favourite Queen albums/songs? For me, Queen II, because it just... rocks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    OK, so everybody has heard "Bo Rhap", "Another one Bites the Dust" and "We Will Rock You", but who has listened to any of Queen's songs not found in the greatest hits collection?

Not me. sorry

ReputationRep:

I have every album, single, b-side, and demo which is available, as well as most of the solo material. Fave songs? Difficult to say. Current;y, it's "Dead On Time" from The Game.

ReputationRep:
    Sheer Heart Attack is probably my favourite Queen album, and the Prophet Song, my favourite Queen song.

They're a good band, but I do think they are vastly overrated though...

ReputationRep:
    Don't know about fave album but I like Don't Stop Me Now, and although it's not strictly Queen, No-one But You (Only The Good Die Young)

Queen rule!

ReputationRep:
    I thought it funny when I brought a Queen album and my mate said "why did you buy that? Queen are crap".

To which I said "You do they are the ones who sang We will Rock You and We are the Champions". And he was so stunned. lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Col-C)
    I have every album, single, b-side, and demo which is available, as well as most of the solo material. Fave songs? Difficult to say. Current;y, it's "Dead On Time" from The Game.
    Wow! And I thought my collection was large lol...
    My favourites are 'March Of The Black Queen', 'My Fairy King', 'The Fairy-Feller's Masterstroke', ''39' and 'I'm In Love With My Car'. I like nearly every Queen song except for a couple I've heard from Hot Space (not too keen on Staying Power nor Party lol) and Queen II is my favourite album. It's just so special, I've never heard anything like it before.
    I really don't think Queen are overrated. If anything the songs they are best known for (Boh Rhap, WWRY, etc) aren't their best and the real masterpieces are practically unknown except to those who look beyond their Greatest Hits collections. And unfortuately there are some who label Queen as a 'gay band' - instant prejudice!

ReputationRep:
    Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy... I just can't listen to it enough... I think it's a great song! I can't say what my favourite album is, as I don't have them all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    I really don't think Queen are overrated. If anything the songs they are best known for (Boh Rhap, WWRY, etc) aren't their best and the real masterpieces are practically unknown except to those who look beyond their Greatest Hits collections. And unfortuately there are some who label Queen as a 'gay band' - instant prejudice!
    Many people consider Queen to be the greatest band ever, and Bohemian Rhapsody to be the best song ever. Both claims are absolutely insane. They are a bloody good band, but definetly very overrated in my oppinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)
    Many people consider Queen to be the greatest band ever, and Bohemian Rhapsody to be the best song ever. Both claims are absolutely insane. They are a bloody good band, but definetly very overrated in my oppinion.
    I would agree that Bohemian Rhapsody is overrated (certainly overplayed lol) and I can't say they're the greatest band ever nor made the best music of all time, but they have the best variety of sounds I've ever heard - they are the best band I've ever come across, although many would disagree

ReputationRep:
    Favourites are:
    Save Me
    Somebody to love
    Radio Ga Ga
    Under Pressure

But actually not on the Greatest hits i think 'Forever' is quite nice, can't think of any others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    Favourites are:
    Save Me
    Somebody to love
    Radio Ga Ga
    Under Pressure

But actually not on the Greatest hits i think 'Forever' is quite nice, can't think of any others.
    What album is 'Forever' on? I only know of 'Who Wants To Live Forever' and that's on Greatest Hits 2. I'm not too fond of that one actually...I like a lot of Brian May's stuff, but this song is too slow and a bit boring really.

ReputationRep:
    What album is 'Forever' on? I only know of 'Who Wants To Live Forever' and that's on Greatest Hits 2. I'm not too fond of that one actually...I like a lot of Brian May's stuff, but this song is too slow and a bit boring really.
    Forever is just a piano piece off of 'A kind of magic' although i don't have that, just song on the computer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)
    i'd say they are underrated, especially their earlier albums (ie before ANATO)

ReputationRep:
    I was pretty surprised the other day when, discussing the band outside the exam hall, several people asked me who they were. How can you live in England and not have heard of Queen?

ReputationRep:
    i'd say they are underrated, especially their earlier albums (ie before ANATO)
    Definitely with the earlier albums - I don't understand why Killer Queen was a hit when Keep Yourself Alive wasn't! Though the songs not released as singles seem to be even more interesting musically, even if they don't have the same commercial appeal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    I was pretty surprised the other day when, discussing the band outside the exam hall, several people asked me who they were. How can you live in England and not have heard of Queen?
    That's never happened to me - even when I went to Egypt the locals knew about them (though they weren't very keen - always pulling faces lol)...I wonder if that had anything to do with the fact that homosexuality is illegal in that country :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy... I just can't listen to it enough... I think it's a great song! I can't say what my favourite album is, as I don't have them all.
    Impressive guitar solo if listened to carefully......really, very very impressive.

ReputationRep:
    I would agree that Bohemian Rhapsody is overrated (certainly overplayed lol) and I can't say they're the greatest band ever nor made the best music of all time, but they have the best variety of sounds I've ever heard - they are the best band I've ever come across, although many would disagree
    I agree, Bohemian Rhapsody is overplayed. However, I have the versions from the 5.1 surround sound DVD audio disc, and the seperate channels are incredible. A lot of stuff can only be heard when it is seperated, and it gives the song even more depth. Incredible.

For those who have Greatest Video Hits 1, the Making of Bohemian Rhapsody documentary offers an insight into what was wiped - rumours of an 8 minute and 12 minute version persist.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Col-C)
    I agree, Bohemian Rhapsody is overplayed. However, I have the versions from the 5.1 surround sound DVD audio disc, and the seperate channels are incredible. A lot of stuff can only be heard when it is seperated, and it gives the song even more depth. Incredible.

For those who have Greatest Video Hits 1, the Making of Bohemian Rhapsody documentary offers an insight into what was wiped - rumours of an 8 minute and 12 minute version persist.......
    I can imagine. Do you think it would work if I played a normal CD on a surround sound system? Won't be as impressive obviously but I have limited funds at the moment...
    The documentary is great! Hearing all the sections 'raw' - I laughed so much at Roger's falsettos I can't imagine an even longer version though - maybe Freddie added even more 'Galileo's', hmmm.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.