Turn on thread page Beta

Queen watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)
    I'll give you that one, Freddy Mercury was probably technicially the best rock and roll singer ever, (although there are quite a few soul singers such as Otis Redding and Sam Cooke that are far better in my oppinion)

But while Queen may have the (slightly) better singer, Jimmy Page is a far superior guitarist to Brian May (Although i personally prefer Brian May)
    Page is one of the best guitarists ever, I don't think May would make the top 20.

ReputationRep:
    Yes Queen even toyed with the idea of disco I think - Hot Space? Didn't impress people. Can't Brian May play the sitar? j/w

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electric Magic)
    I put Queen and The Beatles as my equal favourite bands, and I personally think that like many bands, they are both overrated, to the extent that when I heard non-Sgt Pepper songs I was actually really disappointed, it took about a fortnight to realise that they weren't so bad after all.

On the other hand, when I heard "Good old fashioned lover boy" for the first time I loved Queen right from the start, and I haven't really had to let any of their songs grow on me before I started to appreciate them. Those guys had a gift for a catchy melodies and harmonies without having to get their producer to help with the arrangements . But that's my opinion...

I still don't appreciate Queen's lyrics though. They might be cherished because of the song behind it, but read them aloud and they're pretty rubbish, or weird... Son and Daughter springs to mind. Mind you, if you want poetry you can go and read a book.

Good songs not on the Platinum collection:

Love of my life
    Liar
    The Prophet's Song
    Lazing on a Sunday afternoon
    Made in Heaven
    Brighton Rock
    Son and Daughter (BBC version)

Songs that shouldn't be on the Platinum Collection:

Barcelona
    Another one bites the dust remix
    Under Pressure remix
    Keep yourself alive - not bad for a first effort, but pikaboo, why oh why do you rate this over Killer Queen?

Any others?
    I was agreeing with you until that last comment! I don't rate it over Killer Queen I just think that their first album was also note-worthy. I happen to really like Keep Yourself Alive - I know Killer Queen is a classic but KYA has more variation.

As for the lyrics, it depends how far you look into them - some would say Bohemian Rhapsody has really daft nonsense lyrics but apparently there is a deep meaning behind it. Brian May's songwriting was always wacky...but then again Roger's songs provide a contrast because his are so straightforward. I read somewhere that Queen is the only band with all of its members to have top 10 hits, and there was plenty of talent there not just limited to the instruments they played.
    I really do think Brian May would make the top 20. He's one of the best known guitarists - and how many can claim to have made their guitar out of a fireplace and used it for over 30 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Yes Queen even toyed with the idea of disco I think - Hot Space? Didn't impress people. Can't Brian May play the sitar? j/w
    Yeah - but there's many fans now who say Hot Space didn't deserve the criticism it got, since at the time fans were upset that they were losing their rock image and refused to buy it. But it still had Under Pressure on it!
    I'm not sure about the sitar - he started off on the ukelele, that much I know.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that there were at least 20 guitarists that were technicially better than Brian May...

ReputationRep:
    I would say that there were at least 20 guitarists that were technicially better than Brian May...
    Can you prove that?

ReputationRep:
    I don't need to 'prove' an oppinion.

ReputationRep:
    I don't need to 'prove' an oppinion.
    indeed you dont. although you're only saying that because queen are the best ( )

BTW queen night on VH1 tonight

ReputationRep:
    VH1 again! I don't have it someone recorded me part of the Milton Keynes concert, the documentary and the top 10 songs a while ago so I don't think I'll be missing much.
    I looked up Top 20 Guitarists lists last night because I was that bored, and on many of them Brian May came in at No 8 or higher ^_^

ReputationRep:
    How many of those lists fetaure Eddie Hazel? or John Squire? Those lists pick for the best known, not the best, i've seen Kurt Cobain ranked in the top 15 of some guitarist lists...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    VH1 again! I don't have it someone recorded me part of the Milton Keynes concert, the documentary and the top 10 songs a while ago so I don't think I'll be missing much.
    I looked up Top 20 Guitarists lists last night because I was that bored, and on many of them Brian May came in at No 8 or higher ^_^
    i taped the milton keynes + top 10, and watched to documentary.

i think that they are preparing the footage of milton keynes to release it on dvd. (yay!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    i taped the milton keynes + top 10, and watched to documentary.

i think that they are preparing the footage of milton keynes to release it on dvd. (yay!)
    Great! If it's the one I'm thinking of then 'Somebody To Love' sounded brilliant I always like hearing that live, even if they can't do the harmonies - I thought George Michael's version at Freddie's tribute was awesome too.
    I just bought the unofficial Magic Moments DVD...everyone says its crap, but I wanted a Queen documentary to take with me to uni

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, I'm digging this one up from the vaults...

I love Queen! They are ultimately my favourite band, even if I don't listen to them constantly. Personally, I prefer the earlier stuff, so I have only got at the min all of the 70s albums, the Greatest Hits (obligatory for any music fan, I think), and 'Innuendo' and 'Made in Heaven'...got the videos as well.

I suppose I should say 'Night at the Opera', really – 'The Prophet's Song' is amazing – but I also have a soft spot for 'Sheer Heart Attack' (Brighton Rock!), 'Jazz', the first two...actually, this was just a stupid question!

Anyway, very nice to see Queen fans!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    OK, so everybody has heard "Bo Rhap", "Another one Bites the Dust" and "We Will Rock You", but who has listened to any of Queen's songs not found in the greatest hits collection?

Favourite Queen albums/songs? For me, Queen II, because it just... rocks.
    I don't like them to be honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gringalet)
    Ooh, I'm digging this one up from the vaults...

I love Queen! They are ultimately my favourite band, even if I don't listen to them constantly. Personally, I prefer the earlier stuff, so I have only got at the min all of the 70s albums, the Greatest Hits (obligatory for any music fan, I think), and 'Innuendo' and 'Made in Heaven'...got the videos as well.

I suppose I should say 'Night at the Opera', really – 'The Prophet's Song' is amazing – but I also have a soft spot for 'Sheer Heart Attack' (Brighton Rock!), 'Jazz', the first two...actually, this was just a stupid question!

Anyway, very nice to see Queen fans!
    Yay, another one who's heard the early albums I got Sheer Heart Attack last week, and I'm not normally keen on long guitar solos but Brighton Rock really is great. I only have the first 5 albums plus the Greatest Hits and Roger's 'Strange Frontier' solo album, and each time I get a new Queen album the sound just seems to get better and better as I get used to it. I think I'll get News of the World next, when I can afford it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    Yay, another one who's heard the early albums I got Sheer Heart Attack last week, and I'm not normally keen on long guitar solos but Brighton Rock really is great. I only have the first 5 albums plus the Greatest Hits and Roger's 'Strange Frontier' solo album, and each time I get a new Queen album the sound just seems to get better and better as I get used to it. I think I'll get News of the World next, when I can afford it
    I always think News Of The World is a strange album. When I listen to it, it's not a bad album. However, when I haven't heard it for a while, I seem to recall it's a bad album. It's not....it's just different. As for my favourite album........hmmm......perhaps Innuendo today

ReputationRep:
    I love Queen although i agree they probably arnt the greatest band ever, maybe the ggreatest or at least in top 3 of greatest live performers of all time. I think Innuendo is a fabulous piece of work it shows that towards the end of Freddies live when they made up there differences and produced and composed songs by Queen not Mercury/Taylor/May/or Deacon that they were a better band for it. Made In Heaven is another fantastic album to be able to resurrect vocals and pieces of music years after is a tribute to Rogers and Brians work. Anyone think that maybe a last tour or concert will happen with guest performers theres always been rumours over the last 13years and these have always been denied by Brian and Roger.

P.S Was not happy to see Robbie Williams come 3rd in VH1s 50 Greatest Men In Rock n' Roll when he hasn't even broken America. Incidently Freddie came 5th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stu_uk_aussie)
    P.S Was not happy to see Robbie Williams come 3rd in VH1s 50 Greatest Men In Rock n' Roll when he hasn't even broken America. Incidently Freddie came 5th.
    Neither would I be. I think Robbie is a good singer, but he's not what I call a great singer, Freddie is. I would hold that view even if I did not like his work because I hold similar views on other forms of music I would not listen to such as rap etc.

Who came 1st and 2nd? Not Elvis and Jimi no?

ReputationRep:
    Err Elvis came 1st and i think John Lennon came 2nd

ReputationRep:
    I don't think much of VH1's polls...although their Queen night is good!

Robbie Williams isn't bad - but rock n' roll? Don't make me laugh

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.