Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    I don't think much of VH1's polls...although their Queen night is good!

Robbie Williams isn't bad - but rock n' roll? Don't make me laugh
    If he's not a rock artist what is he? I don't trust polls like these anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno id call him more pop then rock or just a solo artist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stu_uk_aussie)
    I dunno id call him more pop then rock or just a solo artist
    Pop isn't really a type of music really though or is it? If it is I'd say it's more for people like Britney Spears and the Spice Girls more than Robbie Williams! I can see why people call him more pop than rock. Would you hold the same view with Bryan Adams?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Col-C)
    I always think News Of The World is a strange album. When I listen to it, it's not a bad album. However, when I haven't heard it for a while, I seem to recall it's a bad album. It's not....it's just different. As for my favourite album........hmmm......perhaps Innuendo today
    i just got news of the world, and I really like it. Its better than Jazz, anyway. Favourite album is still Queen II though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Pop isn't really a type of musicreally though or is it? If it is I'd say it's more for <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=people&v=55">people </a> like Britney Spears and the Spice Girls more than Robbie Williams! I can see why <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=people&v=55">people </a> call him more pop than rock. Would you hold the same view with Bryan Adams?
    mmm great question i am a big fan of Bryan Adams as well.... mmm i dunno which genre i would put him in.. what would you put him in? rock?

ReputationRep:
    I can't be bothered to read the rest of this thread, but anyway imo, Queen are very overrated...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieshaxxx)
    I can't be bothered to read the rest of this thread, but anyway imo, Queen are very overrated...
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    That's probably because you've only heard the Greatest Hits albums, some good songs on there but a lot aren't works of genius as nearly the entire Queen II album is...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    That's probably because you've only heard the Greatest Hits albums, some good songs on there but a lot aren't works of genius as nearly the entire Queen II album is...
    I have heard all of Queen's albums, and own most of them but I'd still say they were one of the most overrated bands ever...just because someone thinks they are overrated doesn't mean they haven't heard alot of their music...

Oh, and Sheer Heart Attack is far better than Queen II, which is quite a long way away from genius...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)
    I have heard all of Queen's albums, and own most of them but I'd still say they were one of the most overrated bands ever...just because someone thinks they are overrated doesn't mean they haven't heard alot of their music...

Oh, and Sheer Heart Attack is far better than Queen II, which is quite a long way away from genius...
    Poor Pikaboo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Col-C)
    I always think News Of The World is a strange album. When I listen to it, it's not a bad album. However, when I haven't heard it for a while, I seem to recall it's a bad album. It's not....it's just different. As for my favourite album........hmmm......perhaps Innuendo today
    It certainly is a very...eclectic album.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)

Fair enough, its just most people who put down Queen have only heard the most popular songs, and they aren't be best by a long way.
    I like SHA but I prefer the Queen II sound, IMO its got better arrangements and fantastic harmonies, I think Freddie especially was reaching his creative peak then.

ReputationRep:
    I just bought Live Magic for a fiver

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    I just bought Live Magic for a fiver
    What do you think? My Queening friend prefers Live Killers...I like the 70's shows better to the 80's though, typical they're bringing out a live 80's DVD this time and not a 70's show like a lot of fans were hoping for :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well to be honest I haven't listened to it yet. I got the new Europe - Rock The Night double CD (everyone go out and buy it!) and I'm still treating that like a sacred artifact. I'll put Queen on later tonight hopefully

ReputationRep:
    Well to be honest I haven't listened to it yet. I got the new Europe - Rock The Night double CD (everyone go out and buy it!) and I'm still treating that like a sacred artifact. I'll put Queen on later tonight hopefully
    Precious albums! I know what you mean, when I broke my first Queen II CD I was mortified I don't know how I could have done that to my favourite album. I still feel guilty now
    To be honest, I've only heard Europe's 'The Final Countdown' I like that one though very much.

ReputationRep:
    If you like Queen you'd probably really like Europe . Perhaps a little more rocky than flamboyant (no Bo Rhap or Killer Queen here ) but they're an absolutely fabulous band. And they all have hair like Bryan May.

My Queen CDs are thankfully all fine as I'm careful with them {touches wood}
    However the second Europe CD I bought, I dropped before I even got out of the shop and I've never forgiven myself .

ReputationRep:
    If you like Queen you'd probably really like Europe . Perhaps a little more rocky than flamboyant (no Bo Rhap or Killer Queen here ) but they're an absolutely fabulous band. And they all have hair like Bryan May.

My Queen CDs are thankfully all fine as I'm careful with them {touches wood}
    However the second Europe CD I bought, I dropped before I even got out of the shop and I've never forgiven myself .
    They all seemed to have big hair in the 80's the video reminds me a lot of Bon Jovi, another artist I like. If there's a Roger Taylor amongst the band I may just start to get really interested in them

I'm so careful with my Queen CD's now too, they're probably my most prized possession after my laptop haha and I'm so anal I keep them in chronological order and everything :rolleyes: I can't wait to burn compilation CD's for uni, mmmmmm ultimate Queen album.

ReputationRep:
    Ian Haugland, the drummer, is a complete madman. He just comes out with random things during interviews. In one interview I found online he just randomly started bashing the keyboardist over the head with a rolled up poster. Or at the back of one of the albums it tells you what instruments and gear the band use. For Ian it was whatever drums "and no clothes". Too much information!!!!! :shocked:
    I remember the first time I saw the Living' on a Prayer video I was convinced Bon Jovi were Europe in disguise. Especially since Europe's lead singer, the amazing Joey Tempest :cool: (even his name is great!), currently looks like Jon Bon Jovi's twin. I'd never seen JBJ with a perm before but he looked the spitting image of Joey Tempest circa 1986.
    And don't worry, I'm obsessive about my CDs too. I kinda have two main sections of my collection - my old hideous pop stuff, and my rock stuff and musicals under my hifi. Pop is arranged into albums and single, then by artist, then chronologically. Then rock and musicals are separated, then by order of artist preference (Europe, John Norum (Europe's best guitarist's solo stuff), then Queen), then depending on the band by either chronological order or the order I bought them in (usually because there's a lot of compilations).

ReputationRep:
    I've heard "The Final Countdown," couldn't get enough of it when I got it on that Daily Mail CD (I didn't pay for it BTW )

Sadly, I've just heard my first dud mp3 from Queen: Sweet Lady. :rolleyes: I'm not sure "Jesus" is up to it either... can anybody find me somebody who might have a list of early Queen songs that I might appreciate?

Liar
    The Night Comes Down
    White Queen
    Son and Daughter
    Ogre Battle
    Any more....?

(Original post by stu_uk_aussie)
    John Lennon came 2nd
    Good God now there's an overrated solo artist... "...if you talk about destruction, you can count me out....in" dear oh dear... :rolleyes:

Sorry that was harsh, I should have saved my vitriol for Revolution 9. What a classic :cool:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.