The Student Room Group

Can students over the age of 25 get their tuition fees paid for them?

As a very mature student over the age of 25 years, could I get access to financial help if living with parents and no dependants?

Most tuition fees are £9000 per annum, leaving a total of 27,000 debt, how does the tuition fee system work nowadays, please explain the arrangement in basic terms for a mature student. Is that debt paid off when I gain employment after the degree?

Also, I'm applying beyond the deadline of the 15th January on UCAS, would that be acceptable?

Thanks for any help,
Original post by topix
As a very mature student over the age of 25 years, could I get access to financial help if living with parents and no dependants?

Most tuition fees are £9000 per annum, leaving a total of 27,000 debt, how does the tuition fee system work nowadays, please explain the arrangement in basic terms for a mature student. Is that debt paid off when I gain employment after the degree?

Also, I'm applying beyond the deadline of the 15th January on UCAS, would that be acceptable?

Thanks for any help,

You'd be eligible for a tuition fee loan and assuming you've supported yourself for 3 years then you'd get a maintenance loan based on your own income. Basically, after 21k you start paying both loans back and it would be wiped after 30 years but no it is not paid off if you gain employment. Your ucas application would count as a late application so it would be up to the universities whether they would consider it or not so contact them before you apply.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
You'd be eligible for a tuition fee loan and assuming you've supported yourself for 3 years then you'd get a maintenance loan based on your own income. Basically, after 21k you start paying both loans back and it would be wiped after 30 years but no it is not paid off if you gain employment. Your ucas application would count as a late application so it would be up to the universities whether they would consider it or not so contact them before you apply.

Ooh - where's the option to say you're self-supported? I always thought it was weird that Student Finance treated everyone as parent-dependent.
Reply 3
I'm 25, living with parents with no dependants and applied for uni after the UCAS deadline also. I applied for an extended degree so it wasn't an issue that it was after the deadline and doesn't rely on sitting any exams this year in order to get in. You can still apply for student finance in order to go to uni this year yes, as long as you don't have any HE qualifications already. What qualifications do you have? A levels etc? What would you apply to study? I'd get your application in soon if I were you. It can still be considered but it won't be considered equally with all other applicants that applied before the deadline.
Reply 4
Original post by Juanitor
Ooh - where's the option to say you're self-supported? I always thought it was weird that Student Finance treated everyone as parent-dependent.

From the age of 25 SFE automatically class you as that, from what I've read. I know that my parents income will not be considered in my application because I am 25 and over.

Actually, being 25 or over in most case would automatically give you independent status but otherwise you d just be expected to send in payslips or P60's to prove you've earnt enough to support yourself for the 3 years.
Reply 6
Actually, being 25 or over in most case would automatically give you independent status but otherwise you d just be expected to send in payslips or P60's to prove you've earnt enough to support yourself for the 3 years.

I'll only be 22 at first receipt of loan payment, but I moved out at 17 and have sustained myself with part-time and later full-time jobs since then. I received some minor cash from parents, but the first two years tot up to £2-4000 p.a.

Does that count? I'm not sure how they judge 'enough to support yourself'...
(edited 8 years ago)
I'll only be 22 at first receipt of loan payment, but I moved out at 17 and have sustained myself with part-time and later full-time jobs since then. Does that count?

I believe there is an income threshold you have to exceed for it to count so i would contact SFE to be sure.
Reply 8

Reply 9
Original post by Katarvi
I'm 25, living with parents with no dependants and applied for uni after the UCAS deadline also. I applied for an extended degree so it wasn't an issue that it was after the deadline and doesn't rely on sitting any exams this year in order to get in. You can still apply for student finance in order to go to uni this year yes, as long as you don't have any HE qualifications already. What qualifications do you have? A levels etc? What would you apply to study? I'd get your application in soon if I were you. It can still be considered but it won't be considered equally with all other applicants that applied before the deadline.

Thanks for sharing :smile:
@clairestelle

I'm 28 and will definitely be considered as independent, the thing is I spent a year (April '13 - April '14) in Sweden, not making money as I was living with friends, doing voluntary work and studying. How do I explain that, as I can't prove my earnings? I can provide proof of my inbound and outbound flights proving my time away, but nothing else. Is that going to be a problem?

Thanks in advance!
I'll only be 22 at first receipt of loan payment, but I moved out at 17 and have sustained myself with part-time and later full-time jobs since then. I received some minor cash from parents, but the first two years tot up to £2-4000 p.a.

Does that count? I'm not sure how they judge 'enough to support yourself'...

They're a bit vague, but typically earning around £7000 per year for three years is considered enough to support yourself.

Technically you can still be living at home and be regarded as supporting yourself if you've earned enough.

Original post by topix

Thanks for any help,

As you are over 25 you will automatically be considered financially independent from your parents, and your SF will be based on your own income, not theirs.

The arrangements for repayment are identical for mature students - once you earn more than £21,000 per year, you pay back 9% of anything you earn over that amount. So for instance, if you earned £22,000, you'd pay back 9% of the £1000 that is over the threshold, so £90 per year.

If you never earn more than £21,000, you never pay off a penny. If your income drops below £21,000 then your repayments will stop. If you haven't finished repaying after 30 years then they wipe the remaining debt. It comes straight out of your pay like tax does, so you won't even notice the money coming out, and it's not possible to get into arrears. It won't affect your credit rating and it won't stop you getting a mortgage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, your age doesn't matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ivoryfall
@clairestelle

I'm 28 and will definitely be considered as independent, the thing is I spent a year (April '13 - April '14) in Sweden, not making money as I was living with friends, doing voluntary work and studying. How do I explain that, as I can't prove my earnings? I can provide proof of my inbound and outbound flights proving my time away, but nothing else. Is that going to be a problem?

Thanks in advance!

Being over the age requirement means it shouldnt be a problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending