The Student Room Group

University Catered halls -> Macros help!?

Q) Do university catered halls tell you the macros of a meal?
Issue is obviously the weighing of the food & the nutritional info i.e x fats/carbs/protein per 100g/serving etc...
No idea, never went to uni :tongue:
My gains are gonna die @Uni :cry2:
Of course they don't. You just have to guess, it's not that hard and why would it kill your gains anyway??
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Q) Do university catered halls tell you the macros of a meal?
Issue is obviously the weighing of the food & the nutritional info i.e x fats/carbs/protein per 100g/serving etc...

I don't get why people are so obsessed with this fitness competitor type lifestyle where you measure everything to the tee....you don't need to do all that to get in decent shape (i'm not saying it doesn't work it does but it's unnecessary stress).

Just get a tape measure....keep an eye on your weight once a week and also measure your waist weekly and adjust your food intake accordingly. Learn your body....I've gotten to the point where I don't even need to think when cutting it's effortless and when I'm bulking I know I just need to eat more if my lifts aren't going up.
Original post by trapking
I don't get why people are so obsessed with this fitness competitor type lifestyle where you measure everything to the tee....you don't need to do all that to get in decent shape (i'm not saying it doesn't work it does but it's unnecessary stress).

Just get a tape measure....keep an eye on your weight once a week and also measure your waist weekly and adjust your food intake accordingly. Learn your body....I've gotten to the point where I don't even need to think when cutting it's effortless and when I'm bulking I know I just need to eat more if my lifts aren't going up.

I'm already in good enough shape, tracking macros helps give me structure to my food. Also your weight fluctuates so much if you measure just once a week hence why I normally weigh myself everyday & take a average week weigh in. Tracking my macros daily means e.g when I'm cutting If I need to have a refeed day based upon how I'm feeling being in a deficit I can structure it to my needs = sustainability. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm already in good enough shape tracking macros helps give me structure to my food. Also your weight fluctuates so much if you measure just once a week hence why I normally weigh myself everyday & take a average week weigh in. Tracking my macros daily means when I'm cutting If I need to have a refeed day based upon how I'm feeling being in a deficit I can structure it to my needs.

Whatever works for you mate! I was only letting you know an alternative method which also works and is 100% stress free (since i still eat out at places and enjoy myself because i know my nutrition well :wink: )

In my opinion all this measuring etc should only be done by guys who want to compete but for regular dudes who just wana get cut up and look good with a decent amount of muscle no need for that stress but ayeee it's called personal training because its personal :tongue:
Original post by trapking
Whatever works for you mate! I was only letting you know an alternative method which also works and is 100% stress free (since i still eat out at places and enjoy myself because i know my nutrition well :wink: )

In my opinion all this measuring etc should only be done by guys who want to compete but for regular dudes who just wana get cut up and look good with a decent amount of muscle no need for that stress but ayeee it's called personal training because its personal :tongue:

Exactly, Yeah i understand your pov.

I do plan on competing in Men's physique most probably in my 3rd year at uni.
That's why if I continue having structure to my diet all I need is just to put the work in the gym and I know the end goal is obtainable.

Sustainability is key. :smile:

That's why if I continue having structure to my diet all I need is just to put the work in the gym and I know the end goal is obtainable.

Good luck in your comp! I hope youre training hard :wink:

So why go into catered accommodation if you want control over your nutrition? Surely standard accommodation aligns with your goals more.
Kinda the same position was in, but I've now decided on self catered. Research all the food they offer, it's less likely to be chicken and rice, but more chips and other typical 'uni' foods. I'd have hated to pay for catered and realise the food tastes nice but won't support me. Also check if your food is pre served or if you get your portions yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply