Turn on thread page Beta

Wednesday's OCR Religious Studies Synoptic Paper watch

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    Apart from totally stressing out and discombobulating about the revision :eek: , I'm a tad confused about the actual syllabus for the Connections paper. :confused: On one piece of paper from my teacher it says the areas to be assessed are as follows...
    Conscience and the Existence of God
    Free Will and Determinism in relation to an Omniscient God
    Free Will and the Problem of Evil
    Theories of Psychology and Sociology (by the way, does anyone have the foggiest what this actually means??)
    and Life after Death.
    However, on another sheet I've got, it's got Religious Language instead of Life after Death. Urrgh, confusing. I wish I had time to revise everything, but watching too many re-runs of Sex and the City and Bo Selecter, has reduced my revision time significantly!
    Does anyone have the official syllabus from OCR? I've tried the website but my computer's lame-ness won't let me download the Acrobat stuff.
    Also, how's everyone's revision going for this? (Oh, and if anyone can enlighten me on the psychology/sociology thing, that'd be brill.)

ReputationRep:
    I'll save you sifting though it. For the ocr paper the synoptic paper is:

1.The conscience or sense of moral responsability as possible evidence for the existence of god.

2.The concept of freewill and determinism in relation to the nature of an omniscient God. Issues to which God can be thought to know the future - and implications for human responsibility.

3.The relation between freewill, and the problem of evil.

4.The relation between ethical language and religious language.

5.The relation between moral behaviour and life after death.

These are the subjects that contain links, now all you have to do by tomorrow is work out what the links are... GOOD LUCK!!!

J

ReputationRep:
    wow ur paper sounds so much harder than the edexcel one!

ReputationRep:
    mmm... its all pretty much the same stuff really.

freewill - moral responsibility - after life - god

are our actions free or determined? (just like the matrix :P) - if we arent free are we morally responsible? - the afterlife justifying evil - god allowing evil to exist etc...

it should in theory be easy, but some people are shatting themselves over it, i cant help but feel theres something i dont know lol.

j

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad_Monkey59)
    mmm... its all pretty much the same stuff really.

freewill - moral responsibility - after life - god

are our actions free or determined? (just like the matrix :P) - if we arent free are we morally responsible? - the afterlife justifying evil - god allowing evil to exist etc...

it should in theory be easy, but some people are shatting themselves over it, i cant help but feel theres something i dont know lol.

j
    Well im not too worried so i'm missing something too... We were just given a 8/9 page essay at the start of the year and told if we learned that we would be fine... wahoo!

ReputationRep:
    lmao lucky you, what can i say lol.

Oh for future viewing, by far the best way to find the answers to the questions above, is to type the key words into a google search.

There are thousends of people who answers those sort of questions for fun.

Just be careful as some of the answers are heavily biased, you aren't going to find an atheist defending good really are you.

j

ReputationRep:
    Hey...

I also have the exam tommorow, and I actually have done no revision, due to the fact that i have had 5 hours of exams today, which actually is a little unfair. Got a great website for you, www.tsas-re.freeserve.co.uk, go to a level section and then bottom left of the page...
    Username: alevel
    Password: anselm

It gives you all the information that you need in adobe form.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cool_guy769)
    Well im not too worried so i'm missing something too... We were just given a 8/9 page essay at the start of the year and told if we learned that we would be fine... wahoo!
    Lol ditto... Didn't help the RS group last year though.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Cheers muchly for that link Kim-blay - it's exceedingly helpful. Ouch, 5 hours of exams, that's horrendous. Godd luck for tomorrow everyone - I think there's a very strong possibility that we may be drowning our sorrows together tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    kim... ur an absolute bloody gem... where were u yesturday

that exam timetable suks... id complain!

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I was revising for biology and english lit. Oh there is so much information in this exam, there is no way i will know it all so Im just going to blag my way through the exam, as usual. My second to last exam, friday is my biology synoptic, which may actually kill me. Although i'm not religious considering turning to God, Pascal's wager n all, just learnt that.
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    just did my ocr connections papaer route J.. no one else seems to do this combination of religious ewthics and new tesament studies.........it wasnt too bad..did a question of motivation accrding to the new test behing baviour and a question on natuiral law compared with ethics of new tesament....was ok.............my friend though thought we only had to do one question!!!!!!so is really anoyed bless her.

ReputationRep:
    hey i do edexcel RS and the exam was lovely it was the same question they ask every year, i ended up writing about 9 sides, which is loads for me because i have little writing. However i doubt it going to make up for the crappy mark they will give me for my coursework again! grrrr

ReputationRep:
    eugh OCR paper kinda suked abit... question one was on conscience and ethical decision (why is it unreliable)... and no2 was on relig lang and ethical lang... and three was on people behaving themselves because they have a promise of an after life (wrong motive) - would have been fine but would have been better if they had asked me about the problem of evil or sumfin... still too late now huh... i can feel a C cumin on...

ReputationRep:
    eugh OCR paper kinda suked abit... question one was on conscience and ethical decision (why is it unreliable)... and no2 was on relig lang and ethical lang... and three was on people behaving themselves because they have a promise of an after life (wrong motive) - would have been fine but would have been better if they had asked me about the problem of evil or sumfin... still too late now huh... i can feel a C cumin on...
    Yeah, it wasn't a nice paper. Was it just me, or was the first question not really relevant to the specification? I thought we were supposed to link the conscience to the moral argument, not to psychology! I mean, I could do the question, it just seemed a bit off.
    Typically, our teachers had decided not to teach us the language section or the connections between morality and life after death on the basis it was unlikely they'd come up! Gragh! Had to try and blag the entire thing!

ReputationRep:
    wowwwwww ppl actually do r.s on this site lol...i thought they were all sciency mathy ppl... did synoptic today too...edexcel one...philosophy and world religion...wus goood just like "tell me what you know bout this" practically lol woo...last exam!! so good...except for general tomorrow but that doesnt count...naaaah!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    kirki... if my memory serves me correctly the actual question was:

how has psychology undermined peoples belief that it is right to follow their conscience

yeah but oh er now you mention it... it would make alot of sense: conscience being ethics/ moral arg being phil... mmm i hope ur wrong (sorry)

conscience is a bit awkward for me though its easy to link it to god hence to phil...

too late now!

ReputationRep:
    kirki... if my memory serves me correctly the actual question was:

how has psychology undermined peoples belief that it is right to follow their conscience

yeah but oh er now you mention it... it would make alot of sense: conscience being ethics/ moral arg being phil... mmm i hope ur wrong (sorry)

conscience is a bit awkward for me though its easy to link it to god hence to phil...

too late now!
    Oh, no, I just meant that it threw me a bit that they weren't asking us to relate the conscience to the moral argument as that's the connections on the specification. The question itself made perfect sense and was quite easy, it just didn't seem to be following what we'd been told to learn. Conscience is ethics and psychology is phil, so it fitted and all, it just wasn't on the specification. At least it was worded nicely, some of the past questions looked horrible!

ReputationRep:
    yeah, good you had me worried there lol!!

what philosophers did u write about? i just wrote about Freud, Newman, Piaget - name dropped as much as i could and generally wrote crap for 4 pages!

ReputationRep:
    I did Buddhism and philosophy, and thought the questions were great, they were all about the first half of the syllabus which I find much easier than the second half. But they kinda made me regret not doing more revision, because if i had revised those areas better I think my answer could have scored much higher... ah well, out the way now!

Anyone else do my paper?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.