Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cheap health meal plan Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to start eating healthy. However, most of the stuff I looked up is too expensive for me. I was wondering if anyone knew of a cheap healthy meal plan for the week.

I've got no problem with eating the same thing everyday. I don't really care what it tastes like as long as it's doing me good.

ReputationRep:
    Fruit and veggies are really cheap. That's a good start.

ReputationRep:
    Giving a whole meal plan is difficult. It might be easier if you post a couple of examples of what you might eat in a day and folk can suggest improvements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sesshomaru24U)
    I'm looking to start eating healthy. However, most of the stuff I looked up is too expensive for me. I was wondering if anyone knew of a cheap healthy meal plan for the week.

I've got no problem with eating the same thing everyday. I don't really care what it tastes like as long as it's doing me good.
    Yes, fruits and vegetables are cheap. You can buy it in the market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    Giving a whole meal plan is difficult. It might be easier if you post a couple of examples of what you might eat in a day and folk can suggest improvements
    Breakfast: Banana, apple and porridge
    Lunch: Carrots, 1 peanut butter sandwich
    Dinner: Chicken and broccoli

I want to follow this.

ReputationRep:

I want to follow this.
    Switch the carrots for 250g frozen mixed veg (cooked the night before if you're out), it'll cost about 25p a day

Whole meal bread only for the sandwich

Is it supposed to be low calorie? Assuming average portion size that's not much. Why no carbs for dinner?

You need omega 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    Switch the carrots for 250g frozen mixed veg (cooked the night before if you're out), it'll cost about 25p a day

Is it supposed to be low calorie? Assuming average portion size that's not much. Why no carbs for dinner?

You need omega 3
    This is just a rough idea. I'm hoping to go from 85kg to 75kg. I'm incorporating running and light exercises into my weekly schedule.

What's a cheap source of omega 3? I was thinking walnuts.

Thanks btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)

You need omega 3
    Sorry, I just realised. Rice is also included for dinner.

ReputationRep:
    This is just a rough idea. I'm hoping to go from 85kg to 75kg. I'm incorporating running and light exercises into my weekly schedule.

What's a cheap source of omega 3? I was thinking walnuts.

Thanks btw
    If you weren't planning too then make sure to track your eight and adjust calories as appropriate

I'd go mixed nuts really, if you're going to eat repetitively you want to fit in as much variety as possible within your day. Poundland is a good bet for cheap nuts.

ReputationRep:

I want to follow this.
    Breakfast and Dinner are good, I would switch lunch to something along the lines of fish/chicken/steak with vegetables/sweet potato/rice though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    If you weren't planning too then make sure to track your eight and adjust calories as appropriate

I'd go mixed nuts really, if you're going to eat repetitively you want to fit in as much variety as possible within your day. Poundland is a good bet for cheap nuts.
    Wait sorry, what do you mean by track my eight?

I've also changed it up a little.

Breakfast: Banana, apple, walnuts
    Lunch: Mixed veg, whole meal bread sandwich
    Dinner: Chicken, Broccoli, rice

I also plan on changing the dinner each week to (fish, sweet potato, mixed veg). I want to incorporate porridge, but I'm not sure if I should.

ReputationRep:
    Wait sorry, what do you mean by track my eight?

I've also changed it up a little.

Breakfast: Banana, apple, walnuts
    Lunch: Mixed veg, whole meal bread sandwich
    Dinner: Chicken, Broccoli, rice

I also plan on changing the dinner each week to (fish, sweet potato, mixed veg). I want to incorporate porridge, but I'm not sure if I should.
    Weight

Why would you not eat porridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    Weight

Why would you not eat porridge?
    I don't know. Why should I? I know it has a lot of benefits, but I feel like I'm eating too much lol.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. Why should I? I know it has a lot of benefits, but I feel like I'm eating too much lol.
    I think you are over thinking, it's not junk so eat it if you want. You are only eating too much if the scales aren't doing what you want

ReputationRep:
    Oatmeal is something you should deffo think about adding, it clears your skin and fills you up in the morning so you dont snack as much during the day. You can mix it up and experiment with fruit honey etc
    • Very Important Poster

Go and join myfitness pal. If you want to lose weight its primarily about how much you eat in terms of calories and not what you eat.
    That said its recommended to eat a healthy diet for health benefits. 5 portion of fruit and veg a day, complex carbs and protein. Make sure you weigh your food so you know what your calorie deficit is c500 a day is an ok start. If you have spare calories then you cna eat what you want in types of food. A diet needs to be sustainable as its more a lifestyle change.

As suggested right at the beginning cheap means cooking yourself, but also if you use places like the market and the budget shops like Aldi, Iceland, Netto then you can do it very cheaply.

Oats are awesome as they are filling and a good source of energy by complex carbs, fibre and protein.

Keep it simple

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1127.aspx?CategoryID=51
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/...thyeating.aspx

ReputationRep:

Chilli con carne is one of my favourite cheap and healthy meals. And you can make it cheaper by making it without meat if you would prefer.

-pack of beef mince (or whatever meat, meat substitute ect) £3
    -2 white onions chopped <£0.50
    -couple of bell peppers chopped <£0.60
    -can of kidney beans £0.30
    -Can of chopped tomatoes £0.40
    -however much sweetcorn you like £0.50
    -chilli con carne seasoning packet £0.30

-rice on the side <£0.20

Makes between 4-6 servings.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I eat fruits and vegetables. I avoid too much fat and carbohydrates.

ReputationRep:
    Look at durianrider on youtube. He's currently living on $2 australian per day. Easy Stuff. Also go vegan. You don't need meat and you could be getting better and less expensive calories than eating meat

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.