Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My dream career is a psychiatrist, and obviously I would need to study medicine at university in order to do this. However, due to doubts of grades, and competition of getting into medicine, I have thought about choosing psychology, as I do enjoy this and clinical psychology really sparks my interest, as it is highly similar to psychiatry.

Is it possible to apply to both university courses, as I know only one personal statement can be submitted would this hinder my application in anyway?

Any advice would be useful Thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imogen21)
    My dream career is a psychiatrist, and obviously I would need to study medicine at university in order to do this. However, due to doubts of grades, and competition of getting into medicine, I have thought about choosing psychology, as I do enjoy this and clinical psychology really sparks my interest, as it is highly similar to psychiatry.

Is it possible to apply to both university courses, as I know only one personal statement can be submitted would this hinder my application in anyway?

Any advice would be useful Thanks
    Medicine is VERY competitive so most would prefer a medicine only personal statement.
    Psychology courses may or may not mind depending on how fussy/oversubscribed individual ones are.

Basically Unis may reject you automatically for not having a PS relevant to their subject, OR may ask for you to supply a course specific PS via e-mail.

Bear in mind that becoming a clinical psychologist is quite competitive too and would require additional training beyond a psychology degree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverstarDJ)
    Medicine is VERY competitive so most would prefer a medicine only personal statement.
    Psychology courses may or may not mind depending on how fussy/oversubscribed individual ones are.

Basically Unis may reject you automatically for not having a PS relevant to their subject, OR may ask for you to supply a course specific PS via e-mail.

Bear in mind that becoming a clinical psychologist is quite competitive too and would require additional training beyond a psychology degree!
    Thanks for your input, I'm just really stuck on what to do.
    The only other option I can think of is to stick with only applying for medicine, and if that fails, to reapply the following year for psychology?
    I just don't know.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imogen21)
    Thanks for your input, I'm just really stuck on what to do.
    The only other option I can think of is to stick with only applying for medicine, and if that fails, to reapply the following year for psychology?
    I just don't know.
    Do you want to do medicine? Are you passionate about that (you will need to come across as passionate at interviews)? If I am honest wish you, as a final vet student, I don't find my veterinary degree terribly stimulating mentally, if that is what you are looking for. Yes, there is a lot we need to know (so it is academic), but it's more of a memory game plus a dash of logic. You need to know how to apply your knowledge BUT you don't have much time to really think properly evaluate things in much depth. Even for the better pay I wouldn't want to be a doctor (for lots of reasons) but I had the grades to do so. I don't think its the right job for everybody

Work experience in those sectors may help you decide so I'd advise that.

Ultimately, if you're really not sure, you're not compelled to apply this year! You can take a gap year and have a better think about your options without having the pressure of applying on top of revision etc., maybe do more research and some work experience in different settings. It's difficult to make a decision, and if you're uncertain, there is no need to apply to uni just for the sake of it.

Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.